• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did your course get it's name?

The Desert Fox at Paul B. Johnson State Park in Hattiesburg, MS.

During WWII, German prisoners of war were held at Camp Shelby and their labor is what built the state park (it centers on a man made lake). "the Desert Fox" is of course a name for the German general Rommel. So I guess it is a way to remember the history of the park.

The Desert Fox at Paul B. Johnson State Park in Hattiesburg, MS.

During WWII, German prisoners of war were held at Camp Shelby and their labor is what built the state park (it centers on a man made lake). "the Desert Fox" is of course a name for the German general Rommel. So I guess it is a way to remember the history of the park.

That's cool. In a twisted sort of way.

Many course names are the name of the park because the city naming committee (yes they have those) approved that name. If the players want a different name, that usually has to go thru the committee and it's helpful if a donor was involved in building the course. Despite the Park Dept continuing to call the course North Valley in my community even though several holes are now in South Valley after the redesign, we just bypassed them and called it The Valley DGC on this website and PDGA site. Plus the players ahve always called it The Valley even before the change.

At Highbridge, the plan was always to have a different color basket on each course so the courses had a color theme name. Each course also has a theme for the hole names. Blueberry Hill has blue DGA Mach 3s, Granite Ridge has natural galvanized color, Highbridge Gold originally had Hunter Gold (orange) baskets until Worlds when they were switched to Innova gold. Woodland Greens now has green targets. The Bear was originally planned to be black targets with the orange center pipe for visibility. White Tail Trails eventually white and Chestnut Grove eventually brown baskets.

Bulldog Run was named for the mascot of the local high school even though it's on the Piper Hills ball golf course. All three IDGC courses are named for the big donors for building the courses. Hippodrome four courses are thematic based on the different terrain. Old Glory (original layout), Headrick Hills, Moody Woods, Hogback Pine Forest.

Seven Oaks Park in Nashville is named for the seven huge old oak trees on the property. One is affectionately named Carl on hole 10. A couple have fallen and just their stumps remain.

Bud Pell @ Ross Farm

Named after a tireless club volunteer who spent hundreds of hours helping make the great disc golf scene here in Kitsap County what it is today. Bud was also very in to sailing, mountain biking and, oddly enough, boomerangs. Bud died about 5 years ago peacefully in his sleep, at the age of 73, only a few days after I last saw him at a work party when we were building the Kitsap Fairgrounds course. Ross Farm is the property that the Ross Family so generously allowed us to install a course on to honor his memory. Good people all the way around. Bud is still missed and thought of often.

Who out there knows the story of Johnny Roberts in Arvada, Colorado? Please share.

Last edited:
Baker Park - named after Dr. Baker
Dr. Baker ran the sanitorium for TB patients on the land that is now the park

Old Refinery Park - so named because this is where the old refinery used to be

Forest Lawn - that's the neighbourhood it's in

Redwood Meadows - same as above

Riverview Grasslands: Never heard this name once in person but thats what it is named on here.

Everyone I play with or have seen at the course just calls it Seitz because its behind Seitz Middle School.

Ottawa Park - The DGC is in Ottawa Park which is named for the Ottawa River which runs through the park. Sadly, the DG course does not play near the river, the bolf course has that land on lockdown. The river is most likely named for the Ottawa (Odawa) indian tribe.

Parmalee Park - Named for the Dr. who donated the land for the sports fields on site.

Vienna Park - Named for the road it's on. Originally purchased from MDOT which used the site as a sand pit for road construction. 2nd oldest course in MI.

Shelly Sharpe DGC, at Vista Del Camino park, Scottsdale Az.
Home of the Memorial Championship.
aL22w.jpg

Tomahawk Park ~ Course on our family property.

We were always finding arrowheads here 25 yrs ago when we were kids. Our grandpa would have us out in the fields picking up rocks and we came across a lot of nice finds.

Over the years we've had bald eagles flying high over the area and they would occasionally rest up in the dead ash trees and scope out the fields for prey. Never seen a nest though.

The last few years we've had a large hawk living and patroling the property. He (or maybe a she) can almost be mistaken for an eagle because of it's 6 foot wingspan. The thing is huge and we see it up close everyday. Sometimes it'll swoop by (but not too close) and scare the crap outta ya. Since I mow the course regularly, it's been easy pickings for the hawk to get all those four-legged pests that litter the land. We can almost call it our pet hawk.

I also made 8 custom baskets for the course that give you the ability to use a tomahawk (thumber) shot and make it in with the opening slots on the top of the basket. It's also one of our favorite shots to use. So it wasn't too hard to think of the name.

The other courses I've built and worked on don't really have a name yet other than the park's name. Since I live farther away from them, I'm kind of leaving it up to the locals to help find the park's identity and history and incorporate it into the name.

Maytag Park - Named for the founder of the Maytag Corporation, a former Fortune 500 company that was acquired by Whirlpool in 2006 after operating in Newton since 1893. At the time of their closing they employed 2,000 people in this town of 15,000 and the town hasn't come close to recovering yet.

Bayville- its at bayville park named because its near the bay

Munden Point- its munden point park, named after some guy named munden and its on a point of a river

Shu Pond DGC is named not only because of the pond on the property but the fact that the course is on the Shufelt family's land.

The Goat Path has many tight wooded hilly fairways. We also raise dairy goats.

Latest posts