• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do I get the smell off some stinky discs?

UKfan

Eagle Member
I walked over to a yard sale beside a Hardee's this morning and bought a couple of used discs that looked to be in pretty good shape. When I got them home I discovered that they smelled like a sewer. :gross:

How can I get the stink off those discs? :sick:

I tried windex and bleach. Nothing seems to work. :wall:

impossible. FEAR THE STANK-DISC!!!

180.jpg

Hot water, dish soap, and rubbing alcohol. If that doesn't work, good luck.

How can bleach not get rid of it? I wouldn't even touch them if that don't work.

Let soak in soap and water for a day, scrub em, then let them air dry on your porch for about a week.

Yeah I think the only thing you can do is to soak it for several days or weeks. What to soak it in I have no idea. They got that stanky from probably sitting in nasty pond water.

Pet stores sell a product called "Destroy". It's made to remove pet urine smells. I've used it and it works well. As a last resort I'd buy a bottle of that.

just spray Febreeze on your bag every morning before you go golfing, no problem...joking
id try vinegar,then baking soda,then peroxide,ive heard this works on stain and odor

Sounds like you have mold in the pores of the plastic. You probably need to soak it in something that kills mold for a couple hours or more.

Maybe try bleach and water, a little stronger than what is recommended for cleaning. If that does not work, then add more bleach and let them sit longer. I imagine the bleach would eventually attack the plastic and make it more tacky.

There is also hydrogen peroxide...

I use the orange clean that you get from the auto parts store. I had several discs that I have bought that were pulled from a bayou course and smelled like s&#t. Scrubbed them 2 or 3 times with the orange clean and it took the smell right off.

There is an easy solution.. its called vodka. Seriously. It will take and kill any odor. Hell, mythbusters even used it to take away foot odor.

10% bleach kills everything dead.

10% bleach for two days and outside in fresh air until the smell goes away...don't leave the disc in direct sunlight for more than a month....pond divers just leave them outside for months and the smell goes away.

Pine-sol should also work. But definately soak it in a bucket for about a day or so, then air-dry for a day or 2.

1 Part bleach to 100 parts water with a minimum 30 minute contact time followed by a day drying in the sun WILL work. Please let me know if it does not.

A warning on bleach

Maybe try bleach and water, a little stronger than what is recommended for cleaning. If that does not work, then add more bleach and let them sit longer. I imagine the bleach would eventually attack the plastic and make it more tacky.

I can verify that if left in a strong bleach bath for too long some discs will become very tacky. I lost my favorite driver in a stagnant creek at Old Settlers and found several others trying to locate it. They all smelled as if they had just been pulled from a sewer, so I tried a variety of different methods to get the smell off. The only thing that worked was bleach, but two of the discraft discs that I soaked came out feeling like they were covered in almost dry glue. I was bummed as the two discs I was most stoked about finding (other than mine), were now a gluey mess. The two discs that reacted poorly with the bleach were an avenger flx and a cryztal buzz. There were several discs that came out in great shape and stink free. Those included a Millennium Polaris LS, Innova DX Shark, and a Discraft ESP Surge. They don't stink anymore at least. :)

Latest posts