• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why cant I throw nicer discs??

ASD Dad

Just as title states - I cant seem to throw nicer discs...

I just started a couple months ago. Got the Innova Starter pack and loved the sport. My home courses are very wooded and the DX got seasoned in rather quickly. I try and play twice a week with a couple field sessions a week.

Decided after the first month that I wanted to check out other discs and get some nicer plastics. So I bought a putter, mid and low speed driver/fairway driver from: MVP, Discraft, DD, Discmania and Prodigy - all in their better plastics (C-Line, Z, Ti, etc). I also picked up a KC Pro Roc since I heard so much about it and throw mainly mids and putters right now.

My issue is that for the vast majority of those I cant throw those well at all! They are all way more stable than my DX starter pack for one. My Truth, Buzzz, Roc, MD2 all throw way more stable than I think they should. The MVP Tangent flies the closest to what my old Shark does, just "better". I get more distance and penetration vs. the Shark. I know some of it is form when I dont release it totally flat but the Shark and Tangent will stand right up if I do get them off at a slight hyzer. The others just stay on hyzer no matter how hard I throw and fade out.

Drivers are worse for the most part. I can throw my DX Leopards on all sorts of lines and it is a nice easy toss out to about 275 as long as they are pretty new. Once they get beaten in they start getting really understable on me. My Heat and Signal are the closest throwing to the Leopard but I have to really nail my form. If I do my Heat is by far my farthest disc going around 300-350 on a good throw. Everything else goes out about 200' and starts fading hard already.

The only consistency for me is putters. I've sorted them out to ones that I will use just for throwing and then picked out my favorite disc for actual putts. They all perform well for both for me, it was down to feel.

I am guessing it has to do with technique but I am not sure what I need to change...

Get an R-Pro Leopard. the lightest one you can find.

Also remember, nose down follow through.

That Tangent sure is a nice disk, aint it?

We all go through the same thing pretty much as we learn to throw better resulting in more power, etc, etc. Stick to the understable stuff, learn to throw level or on a hyzer, avoid the over torquing, wrist rolling, etc, that many new players do because they want to throw "the new stuff", etc, etc. Try to avoid "over lap" which is having several of the same discs that might do the same thing. Stick with 4 discs for a while. Putter, mid range, fairway, driver. And just go out and throw. I'd also recommend throwing putter only rounds as often as possible as you develop your form.

I play putter rounds a lot lately, it is just fun and relaxing. I just skip the big holes at my local course (one is 1035 feet)! I do play the 400' holes with putter. I have a new MVP Ion that I really like throwing.

I think I will stack away many of my newer discs for another day in the future. Either that or sell/trade them off locally, we have two large clubs in the area. Game has been more frustrating vs. fun lately and want to get back to the fun part!

I'm guessing that the weight difference of your new discs compared to the ones from the starter pack are contributing to your issues. The Innova starter pack discs are 150 grams while I'm assuming most of your new ones are between 165 and 175 grams. Based on your stated distances I think that you are seeing that lighter discs are easier to throw farther.

Get an R-Pro Leopard. the lightest one you can find.

Also remember, nose down follow through.

That Tangent sure is a nice disk, aint it?

I will check out the R-pro, thanks.

I do like the Tangent! I get really nice BH flights out of it but I cant flick it for anything for some reason. I can flick most of my other mids OK but do best with my Truth and Buzzz. The Tangent just always leaves my hand bad and I get a lot of wobble (OAT?) and terrible flights. BH I can throw it really well though and it is a smooth flyer.

Make sure you have a nose down grip. If you are nose up, and have a more overstable disc, it will stall out very early into flight: https://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

What you're experiencing is pretty normal. The base plastic like DX flies "better" in a lot of ways...it's grippier, lots of glide, less overstable. The better plastics have a harsher fade when new and take a while to get it to beat out of them. But when you get used to them, get more power, and wear the discs in for a bit then they fly good and stay that way for a long time. It's worth it eventually. As much as I stay away from DX, whenever I throw a DX fairway driver or slower speed driver they just go so far.
The thing is that most of the shots are not supposed to be max distance, so the consistency of a midrange or fairway driver that flies the same every time in premium plastic is worth it. And sharp rim drivers in DX just gouge easy.

But it's your form, check the grip first and then it's about getting your release velocity up to where the discs are at their cruising speed and want to glide straight like your Tangent is.

I'm guessing that the weight difference of your new discs compared to the ones from the starter pack are contributing to your issues. The Innova starter pack discs are 150 grams while I'm assuming most of your new ones are between 165 and 175 grams. Based on your stated distances I think that you are seeing that lighter discs are easier to throw farther.

I was wondering about weights. You're correct my Starter discs are lighter, the heaviest is 160g and a couple are 150. I do Not like my lighter Aviars, I bought a heavier 175g Aviar and love it. I gave my light ones to my kids.

Even though they feel a bit heavier I didnt know much much 15-20g would make throwing. Some of my new discs are 160-165 but the drivers are all heavier. None are under 160.

Just as title states - I cant seem to throw nicer discs...

I just started a couple months ago. Got the Innova Starter pack and loved the sport. My home courses are very wooded and the DX got seasoned in rather quickly. I try and play twice a week with a couple field sessions a week.

Decided after the first month that I wanted to check out other discs and get some nicer plastics. So I bought a putter, mid and low speed driver/fairway driver from: MVP, Discraft, DD, Discmania and Prodigy - all in their better plastics (C-Line, Z, Ti, etc). I also picked up a KC Pro Roc since I heard so much about it and throw mainly mids and putters right now.

My issue is that for the vast majority of those I cant throw those well at all! They are all way more stable than my DX starter pack for one. My Truth, Buzzz, Roc, MD2 all throw way more stable than I think they should. The MVP Tangent flies the closest to what my old Shark does, just "better". I get more distance and penetration vs. the Shark. I know some of it is form when I dont release it totally flat but the Shark and Tangent will stand right up if I do get
them off at a slight hyzer. The others just stay on hyzer no matter how hard I throw and fade out.

Drivers are worse for the most part. I can throw my DX Leopards on all sorts of lines and it is a nice easy toss out to about 275 as long as they are pretty new. Once they get beaten in they start getting really understable on me. My Heat and Signal are the closest throwing to the Leopard but I have to really nail my form. If I do my Heat is by far my farthest disc going around 300-350 on a good throw. Everything else goes out about 200' and starts fading hard already.

The only consistency for me is putters. I've sorted them out to ones that I will use just for throwing and then picked out my favorite disc for actual putts. They all perform well for both for me, it was down to feel.

I am guessing it has to do with technique but I am not sure what I need to change...

Try to stick with lighter weight discs, they usually are better for a beginner, try innova's blizzard plastic if you wanna try a more stable disc at lighter weights.

I play putter rounds a lot lately, it is just fun and relaxing. I just skip the big holes at my local course (one is 1035 feet)! I do play the 400' holes with putter. I have a new MVP Ion that I really like throwing.

I think I will stack away many of my newer discs for another day in the future. Either that or sell/trade them off locally, we have two large clubs in the area. Game has been more frustrating vs. fun lately and want to get back to the fun part!

The ion is a great disc, I could throw mine far aswell(when I had it), I could forehand it over 200 feet.

20 grams, say the difference between a 150g and 170g disc, makes a LOT of difference. The plastic type, due to shrinkage from the original mold, ALSO makes a difference in stability. Combined, those two factors can be huge.

I had a 175g Champion Leopard that I simply could not get to roll into anhyzer even into a pretty strong headwind, while I consider any 150-159g DX Leopard almost too flippy to use.

The 20g weight change can really affect how the disc flies/glides, but don't mistake it for being able to throw the disc much harder. Discs are light, all humans can lift/swing them easily. I only measured a 1-2MPH difference in exit speed going from 170's to 150's. The bonus people see is that they are less overstable, and they do glide well. If your light discs in DX fly well, then stepping up to both premium plastic AND heavier weights is a massive difference. Another reason you are experiencing what you are, and it is quite normal.

If you want a mid way solution try a midway plastic. Someone mentioned Rpro. My email experience is that GStar flies a lot like Rpro. It's more durable though.

Champion style plastic is just too stable. To use it I literally have to change discs. I throw destroyers in GStar, but go to something less stable in Champion. Tern or similar.

Try to stick with lighter weight discs, they usually are better for a beginner, try innova's blizzard plastic if you wanna try a more stable disc at lighter weights.
I will have to disagree with the part about Blizzard, which gets beat up easily and fast. Try Innova's StarLite (or MVP's Fission) instead. Better flight and longer lasting. A StarLite Roadrunner, Sidewinder, Valkyrie, and/or Teebird in the 150's or upper 140's. First discs I could get over 300' were a StarLite Roadrunner and then Teebird. Oh, and a Blizzard Katana, but that one very quickly got so I could throw it really far in the wrong direction, or flip and crash it.

Also, there are 150 class Star and Champ discs. I have been using a 150g Champ Teebird for 5 years, and am on my second 148g Star Leopard (a lake got the first one). They will still be comparatively overstable, though, so adjust toward understable to start off.

The midranges you listed are all more overstable than the Shark, except the Tangent. Add in that premium blends tend to add stability as well, and it's no wonder you're not seeing much success. It sounds like, if you want to keep throwing premium plastic, you may want to pick up a Mako or Mako3 and other stable-understable molds to compensate for the added stability.

In terms of drivers, try sticking to slower discs instead of stepping up in speed.

I play Ion or Anode plus Tangent or Alias rounds at least once a week. Great for improving my tentative grasp on form. No really long holes at my local course. Embrace the gyro. ;)

I play Ion or Anode plus Tangent or Alias rounds at least once a week. Great for improving my tentative grasp on form. No really long holes at my local course. Embrace the gyro. ;)

I've been looking at the other MVP/Axion discs. The site says the Alias is the Axiom version of the Tangent. Since you throw both would you agree? I like Axiom colors, we have a lot of places to lose a disc!

Alias vs. Tangent

For me, they are virtually interchangeable Due to color, I play the alias when it is cloudy and the same weight Tangent when it is sunny. They land within 10 feet of each other 80% of the time.

I've always had the same problem with premium plastic, even excluding the impact of lighter vs heavier weight. I mostly throw Innova. DX T-bird flies great, but quickly starts to turn over. Sometimes too flippy out of the box. But Champion and Star plastic is too stable and I've struggled to shape shots.

G-Star plastic is a nice compromise. Durable, but less stable than other premium discs IMO. Took a while before my G-Star Leopard would turn how I wanted, but it's great now and was good for straight shots for a while. Valkyries break in at a decent pace.

Maybe try a River from Lat64. Opto or Gold Line. I don't have much distance but have had good results with these. Have one that's good straight or holds an anny line. Another that hyzer flips or turns right. (RHBH)

I will have to disagree with the part about Blizzard, which gets beat up easily and fast. Try Innova's StarLite (or MVP's Fission) instead. Better flight and longer lasting. A StarLite Roadrunner, Sidewinder, Valkyrie, and/or Teebird in the 150's or upper 140's. First discs I could get over 300' were a StarLite Roadrunner and then Teebird. Oh, and a Blizzard Katana, but that one very quickly got so I could throw it really far in the wrong direction, or flip and crash it.

Also, there are 150 class Star and Champ discs. I have been using a 150g Champ Teebird for 5 years, and am on my second 148g Star Leopard (a lake got the first one). They will still be comparatively overstable, though, so adjust toward understable to start off.

You make a good point, glad you were able to correct me for I am not the expert on discs.

Latest posts