• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why cant I throw nicer discs??

You make a good point, glad you were able to correct me for I am not the expert on discs.
I'm far from an expert myself. :)
I do have experience with this though.

I should note, what I said should not be taken as disagreeing with what others have said about discs in premium plastic (because I'm not an expert).

i agree, get the flippiest disc u can find, then force yourself to be able to throw it farther and farther.

that takes smoothness, timing, correct form, and knowledge of flight.

If you want something to really set your game on fire, get a lightish Star Mamba. If you can throw 300' you'll be able to handle it easily and it'll become by far your longest driver.

Very mellow with tons of glide.

Nose Down Info is Awesome

Make sure you have a nose down grip. If you are nose up, and have a more overstable disc, it will stall out very early into flight: https://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

The link to the grip mechanics is amazing! I turned 57 this year, and have been playing disc golf a bit more seriously the past 3-4 years. This summer I finally started getting some consistently better distance from focusing on the "brace" portion of my footwork. But I can see that I'll get a better rip if I first concentrate on my grip. I've heard about "nose down" but never really understood it. Now that I've visited (and bookmarked) the above link, it makes much better sense. I can't wait to get out in the field this weekend to practice!!

I've experienced the same problem with better plastic. I can't throw champion plastic worth a crap, so I don't even try anymore. Last year I bought a G Star Sidewinder and it took me a while to learn how to like it. Now it's my favorite forehand driver. I stick primarily to understable fairway drivers, and this summer I stepped up to 10 speed drivers. I developed a little elbow tendinitis this summer from throwing backhand too hard, so I added forehand to my game in a big way. Discs like Pro Wraith, Pro Beast, G-Star Sidewinder, and DX Valkyrie (all in the mid-160 gram range) get me a good reliable flight pretty consistently. My absolute favorite disc, though, is my X Stratus by Discraft. I can throw it anyway I want, and it always goes where it should. Laser straight, turn, or hyzer at lower speed.

It takes a while to find what works for you. Just keep experimenting.

If you want something to really set your game on fire, get a lightish Star Mamba. If you can throw 300' you'll be able to handle it easily and it'll become by far your longest driver.

Very mellow with tons of glide.

Get a lightish Star Mamba!!!!? A (-5) turn disc?! That'll be a roller aiming for distance at anything under 160s.

What I would recommend is field practice. It sounds like you need to program your brain to understand how different discs fly. Just as someone learning the muscle memory of a basketball shot, literally shoots 5-10 times each from 1 foot, 2 feet, 3 feet....etc, do the same with angling all your discs. That is changing the angle of release, ie Hyzer or Anhyzer. Anhyzer is most important. Try to Back Hand Throwing 75-100 feet angling all of your discs for a really high Anhyzer, say 50-60 foot high apex. A pine tree in an open field works good for a visual if you have it. Then do it aiming for 40 feet high, then 30 feet high. Whatever really. Just pay attention to how you throw it, and weather it did what you expected it to or not. Then you can do the same while trying to add more spin. The spin and angle of release, at a given power level, are most of what determine their flight path. You may not glean much from this the first few times. That is to be expected until your brain builds a frame of reference.

Once you do that with the Anhyzers, go to the open field, and just throw straight with only a slight Anhyzer, compared to trying to get it 40 feet up that is. Throw all the discs and see which ones don't go directionaly-right at all and which ones go too far to the right. If they are still throwing overstable(fading left the whole way), add more Anhyzer like you practiced. If you have any that go too far to the right, don't put as much Anhyzer into it.

Last edited:

Latest posts