• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] How do I identify an understable destroyer?

Takoda_Myers

Just a quick question, which may or may not be stupid, but how can I tell if a destroyer will be understable-ish or straighter than other destroyers. I currently have 5 star AJ's in my bag all ranging in stability but I can't find one that won't cut back too hard. I have one that is deadly straight but even on an anny, is will fade out. I know destroyers are supposed to fade out to the left but is there even a way to tell if it will be what I'm looking for? Are certain colors or runs less stable than others? All input is welcome. Thanks.

AJs are one of the most stable runs, from what I hear.

Things you can look for are lighter weights and lower plh (a seam on the edge of the wing)

Low PLH, or parting line height.

Where the top of the mold meets the bottom.

If its lower it will be less stable.

High PLH usually means it will be overstable.

A disc becomes understable as it gets beat in because the wing is getting bent down over and over when it makes impact with things. Trees, ground, etc.

You could just find a beat up Destroyer.

Pro Destroyers are generally less stable, as well as G Star. Find a lighter weight one and beat it up, or try a different mold altogether for the turnover shot you're trying to achieve.

I would say the flatter ones would be less stable, the old pre avery are understable and also the flat champs. All domey destroyers I have thrown are the most stable.

That's the beauty of Destroyers. The only way to really know what they do is to throw them.

Buy a beat up Destroyer from someone. Or you could try another mold that's truly understable. If you really want to buy one from a shop then like the others said, look for the lowest PLH or a Vulcan-top.

I have a nicely beat in *DS that is beautifully under-stable, but I'm also having a problem finding a newer one even remotely close to it. I want a backup, but the chance of me wrestling someone away from a *DS is slim to none, and Slim left town a long time ago.

I have a nicely beat in *DS that is beautifully under-stable, but I'm also having a problem finding a newer one even remotely close to it. I want a backup, but the chance of me wrestling someone away from a *DS is slim to none, and Slim left town a long time ago.

Are you sure you don't have a *D? Those are the hard-to-find understable pre-Avery models. *DS destroyers are a dime a dozen, but you never know what you'll get.

Are you sure you don't have a *D? Those are the hard-to-find understable pre-Avery models. *DS destroyers are a dime a dozen, but you never know what you'll get.

It's pre-Avery and has no flight numbers. Can't find any of its brethren or anything like it.
bw0MvVTl.jpg

Last edited:

I have a few pre-avery destroyers marked *DS as well.

That's why you should take the markings on the back of disc with a grain of salt.

Low PLH.

Plus I think flatter ones tend to be less stable.

I have a few pre-avery destroyers marked *DS as well.

That's why you should take the markings on the back of disc with a grain of salt.

Quoted both of these for truth.

Let me add to Brodysseus that softer Destroyers have more drift (or high speed turn) out of the box than stiffer ones with similar PLH/dome characteristics.

I'll also shameless plug a Discmania DD if you want a "slightly more managable" Destroyer-type disc.

It's pre-Avery and has no flight numbers. Can't find any of its brethren or anything like it.
bw0MvVTl.jpg

OK, I didn't realize yours was pre-Avery. That makes sense. It is worth pointing out that my friend also has a pre-Avery *DS, and it's the most overstable Destroyer I've ever thrown. He's had it since it was new, and it's still every bit as overstable as my Force. That's just to say that even if you get another pre-Avery *DS, it might not do what you want.

Low PLH will do it. Or a *D destroyer. Or a flat G Star. Or a Pro Destroyer. Its very hard to tell unless you know what you are looking for and have the disc in hand.

Worn ones with scuffed surfaces, lower wing heights, flatter tops, more flexible plastic, lighter weights. All these factors and maybe more play in simultaneously so you have to be able to tell by eye, it takes some experience.

Just get a TeeDevil, it throw pretty similar to a beat in Destroyer out the the pack.

Latest posts