• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you hold your mid?

Power-FanGrip.jpg

My grip for putters and mids when throwing them for distance.
DSCJNKY

my fingers are real skinny so i dont even know how to start to fashion them in the rim.
The grip article at DGR:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

should help a lot. If mids and putters feel akward there's a very good chance the issue is your grip and not your anatomy. Once you get it figured out you'll know what I mean. To get your grip figured out what you'll need to do is work more on getting all of the important parts figured out rather than trying to emulate what you think your grip should look like.

For me, the way my actual hand and fingers sit on a putter is different than a mid or driver (which are about the same), but all of the important parts are still there so it's really the same grip. It took me a little while to figure that out but once I did it made a huge difference.

Some will recommend changing grips for mids and putters and will cite some other source, but there's a very good chance that source can power grip mids and putters but chooses not to. The advice they are giving is usually for people who already can power grip those discs but want another option. That's quite a bit different than the advice you'd give someone learning to throw.

I usually use a power grip on my mids and putters (one like DiscNutt123 posted), but that wretched plus molding on the Lat 64 discs makes me do a fan grip when I throw my fuse, no matter how far.

stack grip most of the time

stackgrip03.jpg

I think it is the best of both worlds. I can fan it or curl it tighter.

Sometimes I fan grip. just depends on shot

Power-FanGrip.jpg

My grip for putters and mids when throwing them for distance.
DSCJNKY

I use this for everything, including distance drives. Despite what many people will tell you, a power grip isn't nessecary to throw far.

Here is my FH grip. It is a little different than this because the grip in the pics is for putters. When I grip my mids my thumb is more over the flight plate.
IMG_20120101_225314.jpg

IMG_20120101_225339.jpg

IMG_20120101_225405.jpg

I use this for everything, including distance drives. Despite what many people will tell you, a power grip isn't nessecary to throw far.
It's not, but you always have more distance potential with a stronger grip than you do with a weaker one.

Sometimes the weaker grips can give insight into your throw. Grips that focus on the rip point and weaken the lock points can illustrate how the disc should sling from your hand. That doesn't necessarily make them stronger grips, though.

It's not, but you always have more distance potential with a stronger grip than you do with a weaker one.

Sometimes the weaker grips can give insight into your throw. Grips that focus on the rip point and weaken the lock points can illustrate how the disc should sling from your hand. That doesn't necessarily make them stronger grips, though.

Agreed. However, the last thing I need is more distance. I can always use the higher accuracy. I have yet to play a hole where a 500' grip locked shot will play better than a 475' one that will most likely be in the fairway.

i have big hands so my grip depends on the disc. destroyers, firebirds and drones i throw with a power grip. teebirds, leopards, buzzz's i'll use a fan type grip. and putters are usually a fan grip as well.

Modified Fan Grip: 50-250ft

Middle and Ring finger flat out like a fan grip

Pointer and Pinky curled in like a power grip

Throw flat or with less than 30degrees Hyzer

Mid-Range Power Grip: 250-400ft

All fingers curled in, however the nails should not be curled so tight as to touch the rim. They should touch the flight plate. Drop Hyzer of course

i have big hands so my grip depends on the disc. destroyers, firebirds and drones i throw with a power grip. teebirds, leopards, buzzz's i'll use a fan type grip. and putters are usually a fan grip as well.

this is my problem... but i dont get as much out of a fan grip as I want. and it is inconsistent

The grip article at DGR:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

should help a lot. If mids and putters feel akward there's a very good chance the issue is your grip and not your anatomy. Once you get it figured out you'll know what I mean. To get your grip figured out what you'll need to do is work more on getting all of the important parts figured out rather than trying to emulate what you think your grip should look like.

For me, the way my actual hand and fingers sit on a putter is different than a mid or driver (which are about the same), but all of the important parts are still there so it's really the same grip. It took me a little while to figure that out but once I did it made a huge difference.

Some will recommend changing grips for mids and putters and will cite some other source, but there's a very good chance that source can power grip mids and putters but chooses not to. The advice they are giving is usually for people who already can power grip those discs but want another option. That's quite a bit different than the advice you'd give someone learning to throw.

thanks for the link