• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do YOU measure distance thrown?

fireborne

Hello all, long time lurker, first time posting so I'm trying to keep it simple to start.

I have read tons and tons of posts where people list the distances they can throw a disc. I tried searching on this forum, as well a variously phrased google searches, and couldn't find anything on this subject. There were mentions of measuring the distance for holes on a course, with various methods and levels of reliability, but I can't really see these methods being applied to measuring a throw. I mean, is it even possible to laser measure a disc on the ground? Or would it be from the disc back to the tee? I could definitely see how a GPS would be helpful, but does everyone on here have one?

Basically I'd like to know how far I'm really throwing instead of just coming up with a random number. That way, I can really measure my progress and know what works and what doesn't when making adjustments to my technique.

So, let's hear it! The different options, the good & bad, and personal experience with this! Looking forward to hearing the replies!

Honestly, I generally estimate given what I know about the hole or area in which I am throwing. If I know a hole is 415 and I get within technical putting range I know my drive was about 400 ft. If I ended up a little short, I estimate the remaining distance and subtract it from the total distance. Admittedly I am taking the listings for the hole distance as true which may not always be the case.

As far as accuracy of distance is concerned, a gps in your phone seems like the best method but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

The only other method I use is a football field which can help in gauging distances under 350 ft or so.

I too am curious of other peoples methods since I have always seen the inaccuracy of my estimates being a problem as well.

I am one of the "furtunate" people who can barely throw 300ft. I know this from field practice at multiple baseball fields in which I can barely reach a 300ft fence. on avg I land abt 10-15 ft shy of the fence, thus leading me to believe that I throw abt 285-290 normaly.

On the course I do the same as the formentioned player. I guestimate according to what the sign reads (becareful with this method because a lot of the time the signed distance factors in the "line" to the basket wich isn't always the one that is thrown).

By pacing it off.

First, determine how many paces it takes you to walk 300 ft. Go to a football field, start at one end zone and walk with consistent natural steps to the other end zone. Repeat as many times as you can, and average the results.

Then divide the total number of paces into smaller units to make it more manageable. Figure out how many paces it takes you to mark 100, 74, 50, 30, 20, 10 ft. (For the math challenged: divide your total by 3, 4, 6, 10, 15, 30.)

Of course, it's only an approximation because your paces aren't totally uniform, but it gives you a good idea. You can check yourself by pacing straight flat holes with lengths listed, but be forewarned that listed lengths can be in error too.

I've used this hundreds of times, so I feel pretty confident that it's fairly close.

Those who are about my height might want to use my stats as an approximation. I'm about 6"1" and it takes me 112 paces to walk 300 ft.

OK, here's my actual method but if you don't like math you'll most likely find it too tedious. 112 Paces (P) = 300 ft.
3 P = 8 ft.
1 P = 2.7 ft.

1) Pace off the length
2) Divide by 3
3) Multiply that result by 8 = ft.

Ex-
1) P = 98
2) 98/3 = 33 plus remainder 1
3) 33 x 8 = 264 + 3 = 267. Then I round this to 265 because of my margin for error.

I practice my distance throws in an open field by my house. The cool thing about this spot is that there is also an old running track there too. I have a measuring tool I bought for checking distance. It gives you a readout of footage as you roll it along the ground. I reset the footage counter at the starting line of the running track. I then walk straight & at 200 feet I set a disc down. I move to 250' & set another & so on until I had 350' measured out along the track. I then step off the side of the track & throw on the grass so my discs dont get all scuffed up by the track. I know rolling this tool along the ground it is hopping over small stones etc so the distance is not exact but it's a good way for me to judge my distance.
trackLD.jpg

The only accurate way I've done it is by throwing on a football field and then pacing off anything thrown farther. I can get a pretty accurate 5 yards with 8 paces (most useful skill I learned in marching band), but that doesn't happen all that often. You have to be careful with distances posted on tee signs. They can be anywhere from pretty close to wildly inaccurate.

I've just paced a football field enough times that I've practiced what a 3' stride feels like -- so when I want an approximation, I count the steps to the disc, multiply by 3, and there is my answer.

I think that practicing a 3' stride that you can use for distance measuring purposes is easier than Olorins method of trying to do the math to figure out how long your natural stride is -- for me, my "natural stride" depends on my mood, the shoes I'm wearing, the terrain, what I had for breakfast that morning, etc... my practiced stride I've found to be pretty consistent. +/- ~3% margin of error. So it's good enough to be helpful in most situations.

If you've got a football field available, use that. You get solid measurements marked for you out to 360', as long as your throwing from goalpost to goalpost. This also gives you a target to aim for that helps you make sure your are throwing straight instead of wildly to either side of the line you are aiming for.

Very few disc golfers throw too much over 360' so for throws out the back of the endzone, you can just pace off the number of steps past the endzone. So if you are 22 paces out the back of the endzone, thats 22x3=66+360=426. And when the first 360' is measured for you, theinconsistency of your steps for the remaining distance will be really insignificant compared to the total distance being measured, so I'd guess that you'll get measurements that are accurate to within 2% that way -- plenty good enough for seeing your throwing game develop.

Your real-world distance is not the distance on the one disc that got a random fluke wind or crazy flip and went an extra 40' past everything else you threw. I'd take 5 discs and throw them all. Eliminate the longest and farthest throws and average the other 3 distances -- see what that works out to and that's probably a good number to use when people ask how far you can throw. And there really aren't many golfers who can throw for real much past a football field with any consistency -- probably not more than a few thousand at this point.

By pacing it off.

First, determine how many paces it takes you to walk 300 ft. Go to a football field, start at one end zone and walk with consistent natural steps to the other end zone. Repeat as many times as you can, and average the results.

Then divide the total number of paces into smaller units to make it more manageable. Figure out how many paces it takes you to mark 100, 74, 50, 30, 20, 10 ft. (For the math challenged: divide your total by 3, 4, 6, 10, 15, 30.)

Of course, it's only an approximation because your paces aren't totally uniform, but it gives you a good idea. You can check yourself by pacing straight flat holes with lengths listed, but be forewarned that listed lengths can be in error too.

I've used this hundreds of times, so I feel pretty confident that it's fairly close.

Those who are about my height might want to use my stats as an approximation. I'm about 6"1" and it takes me 112 paces to walk 300 ft.

OK, here's my actual method but if you don't like math you'll most likely find it too tedious. 112 Paces (P) = 300 ft.
3 P = 8 ft.
1 P = 2.7 ft.

1) Pace off the length
2) Divide by 3
3) Multiply that result by 8 = ft.

Ex-
1) P = 98
2) 98/3 = 33 plus remainder 1
3) 33 x 8 = 264 + 3 = 267. Then I round this to 265 because of my margin for error.

An excellent method I must say. Never thought much about being this exact - I always just figured 3' per pace. Crum - now I don't throw as far as I thought....:cool:

Learning to measure your pace is an interesting exercise. They taught us this in surveying class. You'd be surprised how many people think their natural stride is 3' when it usually isn't. My natural stride is just a little under 3' - so when pacing something off, I either have to consciously extend my stride just a little, or add 1 pace for every 20 to get a decent measurement.
Practicing a little (and using a ball field is a great way to do it without breaking out the 100' tape) can prove very enllightening. Especially when guys are pacing off that 10m distance to the pole - 10 meters is 32'8" - which is usually 11 full paces for most players (not 10).

I use a 300 ft tape measure that I got on Craig's List and some soccer cones I got at Walmart. Works great.

i got really good at measuring my pace when i was a professional gardener laying out 100 foot rows. my pace is just under 3 feet- 34 per 100 feet.

when i paced off hawk hollow the first time i wound up off by a grand total of 8 feet on total length. (of course some holes were slightly off one way and some the other to balance it out a little)

I use the measuring tool on Google Earth. I don't know how accurate it is, but I trust it more than my ability to pace off a distance, and I definitely trust it more than the posted distances for holes.

Laser from disc landing spot back to the tee is fastest, easiest, and most expensive (and illegal in sanctioned events).

Baring that method, like others, I've gotten reasonably good at estimating a 3' stride for pacing off approximate distances.

ERic

Google Earth is extremely accurate and a good method (if you can see the area clearly from the sky). To verify, go and measure some football field or tennis courts.

IMO, measuring your max drive is fun, but much more useful in helping your game is being able to accurately throw for instance 180', 220', 260' etc with hyzer, anhyzer, fade, skip, different roller routes, etc. Do this in all weather conditions and wind directions.

I also concur that if you have access to a football field, use it for practice. After throwing your discs, practice getting the feel of pacing 3' strides. It is easy to get a really good feel by just taking 5 strides for every line marked.

when I am trying to figure out how far I can throw, it is when I am doing field practice... so I will generally find a nice, long and mostly flat open field and break out the tape measure - spray paint lines every 50 or 100 ft. depending on how close I am wanting my measurements to get - if I make a worthy throw, I will pace off from the closest line

if it is an unused field, or one that I can use often, I can keep the lines fresh for weeks at a time by repainting what is there once a week or so (I try to throw do distance field practice once a week anyway)

I find it is important to know how far you can throw, so when it comes time to make an over water shot, or you need to make a certain distance shot, you need to know what you are capable of, especially on a consistent basis - plus, it gives me something to strive for when I am practicing by myself and trying to keep myself interested

I just use a measuring wheel when practicing in an open field and mark off distances with cones. It's fairly cheap, like $40 or something at Home Depot and hopefully accurate.

if you are looking to gauge your distance do not use a pace count unless you are an experienced land navigator, pace counts are horribly inaccurate. if you have a gps on your phone use that. i have been backpacking and doing mapless land navigation for years and my pace count for measuring distance is still off. trust me that is the way to do it. i would pace out 400' and find that it was really 350' that is why the gps or google distance measurement tool is helpful. it will give you a no BS distance and take out all the guess work.

Last edited:
Being a weak arm myself, I tend to just check at a football field since I never clear 360', problem is that only gives me forward distance. To get the actual distance you also need to measure the lateral distance, and use the ol' hypotenuse method.

Thing is, I've found what I can throw in an open field has little bearing on what I can throw on an actual course, even a relatively open one.