• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do YOU measure distance thrown?

Some good ideas here. I have a fairly large yard and used a tape measure to mark off 100, 150, 200, 250, 300 and 350' with fiberglass rods. Haven't hit the 350' yet, but when I do, I have 200 more feet worth of yard to mark off. The rods I used here are reflective, neon and tall enough to see from a distance. Don't need to go out into the field to see how far it went.

Thats not a yard...thats a pasture. Unless it has a few trees and then its a park. Man, it sounds like you have room for a three hole course in your yard. NIce. Or....a basket in each corner.....I'll bring the burgers and the beer and we can do some pacing and some measuring.

The PDGA rulebook is entirely in metric with a conversion table included in section 805. So they are consistent, at least from a rules standpoint.

It's the U.S. course designers who use almost exclusively feet for measuring holes. And they do so to cater to their audience. Can you imagine a U.S. course for which the tee signs listed distances only in meters?? That would be listed as a "Con" in just about every review on DGCR.

ERic

Ahhh, good to know. All that makes sense. Maybe one day I will sit down and read the PDGA rule book...

There is a hole at my local course that has been GPS'ed or at the least it has been said it has. I pracitce my distance shots there more then anywhere else and same thing as before. The goal is 432' so I just estimate how close I am to the pin to know how far I threw.

GPS receivers are only accurate to within about 10 feet, and that's in ideal conditions with clear lines of sight to multiple GPS satellites. So a GPS receiver's margin of error for the distance from teepad to hole, if only measured once, is 20 feet. And that's assuming ideal conditions. Any one measurement could be 50' or more off in less than ideal conditions. To be any more confident about a GPS-calculated distance, be sure to measure several times on different days, in clear skies every time, and take the average.

Thats not a yard...thats a pasture. Unless it has a few trees and then its a park. Man, it sounds like you have room for a three hole course in your yard. NIce. Or....a basket in each corner.....I'll bring the burgers and the beer and we can do some pacing and some measuring.

Well, it did have cows here until we built, so I guess it kinda is a pasture, lol. I have set up a basket back there and am planning to build another. Not really trees here though.
Mmm, burgers and beer.

I just use Google Earth to measure distances between landmarks in my local park. If Google has high-res imagery for your area, it's a lot more reliable than a GPS.

GPS receivers are only accurate to within about 10 feet, and that's in ideal conditions with clear lines of sight to multiple GPS satellites. So a GPS receiver's margin of error for the distance from teepad to hole, if only measured once, is 20 feet. And that's assuming ideal conditions. Any one measurement could be 50' or more off in less than ideal conditions. To be any more confident about a GPS-calculated distance, be sure to measure several times on different days, in clear skies every time, and take the average.

Ah, had no idea. Dont how many times if any they GPS'ed it, just heard they had. Also had no idea the range of error involved.

How far

It's pretty easy,if you walk a normal stride it should be 3feet in lenght,so for each stride it should be 3ft,6ft,9ft,12ft,etc.....

It's pretty easy,if you walk a normal stride it should be 3feet in lenght,so for each stride it should be 3ft,6ft,9ft,12ft,etc.....

or if you are short like me I count my normal pace as 2.5', but you can figure out your normal pace by walking like 25 paces and measure the distance, then divide by 25 to get an accurate average pace

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not (I don't want to go back and read the whole thread), but I use a metering wheel. They are about $20 for one that works well enough. If you're really interested in knowing how far you throw, you can't pace the steps because the margin of error is pretty high and depends on too many variables per person. The laser is the best method, but then you need two people to make it reasonable (one to shoot, the other to stand at the disc). The wheel is quick and easy.

When I used to do a lot of field practice I would setup a cone where I was throwing from, and then a cone at each of these distances from the original cone...300', 350', 400', 425', 450', 475', 500', 525', and sometimes 550' if I was feeling strong enough. Then, I would measure any throws that I was curious about exact distances on an individual basis.

When I used to do a lot of field practice I would setup a cone where I was throwing from, and then a cone at each of these distances from the original cone...300', 350', 400', 425', 450', 475', 500', 525', and sometimes 550' if I was feeling strong enough. Then, I would measure any throws that I was curious about exact distances on an individual basis.

I would have to set up cones at 175 200 225 and 250 and if its downwinder MAYBE 275 and 300.

I would have to set up cones at 175 200 225 and 250 and if its downwinder MAYBE 275 and 300.

I set up cones from 100-300 ft every 25 ft. That way I can see how far I can throw my putter, mids, and drivers. I also measure up to 175 feet from my basket to work on mid and putting shots.

Yeah for sure. The point is not necessarily to see how far you can throw, but to see how far you can be accurate with what discs etc. For instances, with my Rocs, I throw them all hyzer and try to get within 20' of the 300' cone, then I throw anhyzers, then I throw straight shots. For the 350' I'll do the same thing with the drivers and the Rocs, etc. There are some discs I can easily throw 400', but some are more difficult to do so, and that's why you practice, to know what discs you can throw what distances with the best accuracy. For 400' anhyzers, my most accurate discs are teebirds and predators, so when I have a hole that requires something roughly 400' on an annie line, I know what to throw.

Yeah for sure. The point is not necessarily to see how far you can throw, but to see how far you can be accurate with what discs etc. For instances, with my Rocs, I throw them all hyzer and try to get within 20' of the 300' cone, then I throw anhyzers, then I throw straight shots. For the 350' I'll do the same thing with the drivers and the Rocs, etc. There are some discs I can easily throw 400', but some are more difficult to do so, and that's why you practice, to know what discs you can throw what distances with the best accuracy. For 400' anhyzers, my most accurate discs are teebirds and predators, so when I have a hole that requires something roughly 400' on an annie line, I know what to throw.

I can only dream of throwing 400'.:(

How well does a metering wheel work with elevation changes, or in situations where you're throwing across a creek with a deep bed? I've seen holes on youtube, such as in the Discraft driving distance episode, where you're throwing from hilltop to hilltop, with a big valley in between.

Football field or my GPS. I mark my throwing tee as a waypoint then set it to navigate to that point. As I collect my thrown discs it tells me how far I am away from my tee. Garmin 60csx.

How well does a metering wheel work with elevation changes, or in situations where you're throwing across a creek with a deep bed? I've seen holes on youtube, such as in the Discraft driving distance episode, where you're throwing from hilltop to hilltop, with a big valley in between.

For situations like that, you'd definitely want to look into buying/renting a laser rangerfinder. I believe they start in the $150 price range.

Practice. It took me hours of practice before I hit the mark. When I started playing I could only throw about 270'.

Well, I must be doing something really wrong, because I can't even hit 300ft. I can barley hit 270. Its really starting to piss me off, because I see people who have been playing less than me, and can out throw me. I spent 2 hours tonight throwing , and I couldn't pass the 270 mark. I have one hell of a putting game, but I had to do that , because my driving sucks. I hate playing either novice or Rec in tournaments, because I can smoke all of them when it comes to putting, but if I play any higher, I get smoked in driving.