• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do YOU measure distance thrown?

im sorry biker... i can throw a 400' shot and i have been playing for not that long. we should play doubles someday cause i can throw drives and approach but my putting is horrible... oh and its just kinda natural athletic body i got.

im sorry biker... i can throw a 400' shot and i have been playing for not that long. we should play doubles someday cause i can throw drives and approach but my putting is horrible... oh and its just kinda natural athletic body i got.

Funny you should say that. I met a guy on the course yesterday,and he could drive great, but his putting was terrible. He was very impressed with my putting. I told him, "we should play doubles, I will putt, and you drive".

thats how my stepdad am with me. hes pretty good at putting and short approachs but cant really drive past 250'

thats how my stepdad am with me. hes pretty good at putting and short approaches but cant really drive past 250'

I am not sure what do to. I found that my DX Valk, and my SOLS are my longest, so I am going to stick with those two and work on my technique

i only started to throw far after using the x-step and twisting my body like i learned playing baseball as a kid. it takes your whole body to make a good throw.

I'm sorry for ressurecting an old thread but I was curious about how other people measured their throws and used the search function.

I found an app on the Android market named Manggis. You can basically use your GPS location for "A" and then head over to your "B" position and get the GPS tag for that place as well. Then it calculates it for you. Only down side for me is that it measures in KM's, so I had to download another Free app named ConvertPad. I then insert my KM's in the convertpad and see how far I threw.

Mind you, it isn't super accurate but it gives you a ball park estimate. I don't throw very far and most times when I have tagged both locations I get about the same reading every time. However, this past weekend my brother was playing with me and while he throws further than me, it tagged him at 525 feet! I know he didn't throw it that far but we were too lazy to try it again. So, this is just a suggestion and not telling you to rely 100% on these numbers.

Mind you, it isn't super accurate but it gives you a ball park estimate. I don't throw very far and most times when I have tagged both locations I get about the same reading every time. However, this past weekend my brother was playing with me and while he throws further than me, it tagged him at 525 feet! I know he didn't throw it that far but we were too lazy to try it again. So, this is just a suggestion and not telling you to rely 100% on these numbers.

Your "measured" position by a GPS receiver is never better than a 10' margin of error in ideal conditions in North America, so when you measure distance with a GPS, perfect conditions will yield a 20' margin of error. And conditions are rarely ideal. If there were trees, buildings, atmospheric interference, or any other kind of error introduced, you could be 100' off by the GPS measurement and not realize it. The accuracy of your calculation could also be harmed by the significant digits in the GPS's measured distance, since you're converting from kilometers to feet.

Your "measured" position by a GPS receiver is never better than a 10' margin of error in ideal conditions in North America, so when you measure distance with a GPS, perfect conditions will yield a 20' margin of error. And conditions are rarely ideal. If there were trees, buildings, atmospheric interference, or any other kind of error introduced, you could be 100' off by the GPS measurement and not realize it. The accuracy of your calculation could also be harmed by the significant digits in the GPS's measured distance, since you're converting from kilometers to feet.

Correct. Seeing as the thread specifically begged the question I thought i'd interject my findings and put the disclaimer on my reply. This is for the people who do not want to 'pace it out' but want more of a rough number. Let's say the GPS is off by 25', that isn't THAT big of a deal to me. It gives me a ballpark.

I've been thinking about going and just buying a 300' reel of measuring tape. They've got them at Lowes for around $20, and it's long enough to easily measure most of my drives. Plus, it's gotta be more accurate than GPS and Google Earth.

komml1212.jpg

or i just make it up and post it

i got really good at measuring my pace when i was a professional gardener laying out 100 foot rows. my pace is just under 3 feet- 34 per 100 feet.

when i paced off hawk hollow the first time i wound up off by a grand total of 8 feet on total length. (of course some holes were slightly off one way and some the other to balance it out a little)
Your pace or your steps? A pace is each footfall of an individual foot. For example: my pace is approximately 6.25 feet. This is measured from where my left foot comes up to where it comes down again. A step is each step you take, it is just over 3 feet going left-right-left... each pace is left-left-left. If your pace is just under 3 feet, you're either under 5 years old, 115 years old, or extremely tiny.

I take I practical approach - I "measure" by how close my shot lands to the basket, and what disc I think I need for the next shot :p

I pretend to throw my discs, then come online and tell everyone how far I supposedly threw. All calculations done by imagination. :D

In all reality I often rely on the combination of the eye-test and the signs on the course when I'm out playing. I'm actually very curious as to how far I was throwing this weekend. If scorecards and tee signs are to be believed I was holding hyzers easily out past 400 feet with no trouble with my Giant. Thoughts on use of Google Earth to check using landmarks after the fact? I know it has an option for straight line vs along the ground distance, so obviously set to straight line. :p One complication is shadows can cause landmark locations to be off when looking at the image.