• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How does a Blind Person Play Disc Golf??

Earic02

Par Member
(9 Likes away from 500, please Like the BDGA's FB page!! Link: https://www.facebook.com/BlindDiscGolf)

Check out this awesome video of Jake Ayers from the Blind Disc Golf Association (BDGA). In the video, Jake uses a Disc Beeper to help him find his disc after it's thrown (very nicely, forehand!!). He also sends a remote signal to a prototype basket beeper to help him locate the basket.
(..Instead of my brother, Dan, shaking the chains like we did at Ace Race..)

The plan is to develop fully-automated courses with basket beepers on all baskets, which is extremely exciting.

Equally exciting are the Blind Disc Golf World Championships, *rumored* to play alongside the 2017 Pro World Championships in Indiana...

www.discbeeper.com

Very cool.

Have you ever tried it with a blindfold? That's got to be pretty wild.

Not yet, but I want to..

We would have while Jake and Amber from BDGA were in town for our Ace Race in Detroit, but the cold rain kinda ruined their plans of doing a blindfolded demo..

Maybe next year, or sooner if I get the chance to visit them in NW Indiana..

(FYI: Jake goes to Purdue Calumet in Hammond, IN, and can be contacted using the BDGA FB page..)

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing this out. I've played some with my blind brother in law and that's always an interesting challenge. When we get close to the basket, I have to rattle the chains for him, then jump out of the way before I take one in the teeth. We're not playing the most competitive game, but we're both having fun. Maybe the beepers would help.

I think that's incredible... talk about ratcheting up the challenge! :thmbup: :cool:

Very awesome. I just shared their FB page on our club page to help increases awareness. I couldn't imagine what it's like playing without eyesight.

Does he play at PUC? How does he get to the back 4 holes?

There's a course in Mississippi with bells on top of the basket, you still need someone to go ahead to ring them, but I thought it was a nice touch. That course is actually intended for multiple types of disabilities, with some of the holes accessible by wheelchair.

I was just curious, it has nothing to do with being blind. But I had to hop a fence when I played there.

From Facebook chat:

Jake: Yes, I play at PUC. I live in the dorms where the first 5 holes are. I've went to the back 4 before with a friend, but haven't been back there since. Too many fences to jump to get there. Not fun with a cane.

Me: haha what the hell?? fences?? why fences??

Jake: The back 4 holes were built on the edge of campus that was originally closed to the public. there is an entrance in the neighborhood, but thats too far of a walk.
Theres a gate, but it is always locked.
I've been pushing them to unlock it and leave it open, but they still havent

Me: That sucks.. First 5 it is!! (for now..)

Jake: yep. Usually just do 2 laps thru the first five
Its convenient

I first met Jacob at the 2010 IDNR Hoosier Outdoor Experience. A wonderful 2-day event put on every September at Ft. Harrison St Park. They have all kinds of vendors and activity providers, with stuff like bow fishing, kayaking, geocatching, hiking, skeet shooting, you name it. I was running a temp 9-hole disc golf course there and Jake and several other Scouts came up to my booth early on Sunday morning, wanting to play the course. I started passing out discs and soon got to Jake, coke bottle glasses, white cane and all. I asked him if he was playing and he responded with a ready "yes". So disc in hand, off he went. He had a buddy Scout who would run ahead and "ring the chains" so Jake knew what direction to throw. He would also help him with finding the disc after the shot. Off they went to play the 9 holes! Not only did he play those 9 holes, but ha came back for another round later that afternoon! Needless to say, I was impressed. After his second round we started talking and found that he was a student at the Indiana School for the Blind and Visually Impaired in Indianapolis. I talked to him about some courses that I had designed and been built with the help of various Eagle Scout Projects. He mentioned that he needed an Eagle Project and together we hatched a plan to build a disc golf course, specifically designed and modified for play by BVI players at the school. We gained approval to do so from the school Superintendent and Jake took on the fund raising for materials and equipment as well as getting the labor together to build the course, while I started on the design and layout of the course. It is a beautiful property, you can check it out on this site, Eagle Eye DGC. The course opened in summer 2011 with special hi-contrast signs that included tactile information, raised symbols for tees, baskets, trees, flight path, etc. We also applied extra hi-vis yellow paint to the center pole and basket assembly on the Innova DISCatcher targets. We also formed the Blind Disc Golf Association (a not for profit, 501-c-3 pending, Jake is the President, I am its' Director and we have a few other Board Members), to develop BVI adaptive technology to make more independent game play for BVI disc golf players, and to promote and develop BVI disc golf competition. Here we got some absolutely fabulous help and support from Nason Tackett and the good folks at Discbeeper.com! They were working on a disc beeper for "regular" people to help them find their discs. Just what we needed! Through field testing of designs and equipment by ISBVI students on the Eagle Eye course, we have come up with a complete system (patent pending) of beepers for the discs, target beepers for the baskets and beepers for the tee-signs. All controlled by a hand held pendant type devise. The basket beepers even have a special system of tones so that players can tell them apart. We are also working on other navigation aides and equipment. The goal is to start putting BVI modified courses in as many places as possible and we have been contacting blind schools, camps and other organizations across the US to that end. The biggest hurdle right now is money. We need it not only for operational expenses, but to pay for the patents and begin production of the adaptive technology equipment. We also need money for design and installation costs of the courses. To that end we have been pursing various grants and are in the process of opening a "Group Funding" account so that the average person can help out too. And yes, we do have plans to ultimately have National and even World Championship competitions for BVI players! You can check us out at our Facebook Page and soon on our web site bdga.us (under construction).

Very cool. I would gladly caddy for a blind person and help describe their shots and terrain. May get the opportunity sometime because my friend's son is blind.

This is nice Earic. Great story potential. Thanks for the link.

Joe

You're welcome, Joe. You would've seen Jake and BDGA and their story eventually.. (though I'm sure you have, already..) It was very cool to see your response, and MacDaddy's too, and I can't wait to see some BVI footage in the future on yours and other disc golf media outlets.

MacDaddy: what's your real name?? I couldn't find it on your FB page..

-Eric McCahill

http://atcentergrove.com/blog/oh-go-fly-a-disc/

Never mind, Dennis!! I found you!!

8566287109_c38d666027_n.jpg

Mckenzie Colglazier, of Elkhart Indiana, is coached by Dennis Byrne of "The Disc Golf Company," and Director of the Blind Disc Golf Association.

I first met Jacob at the 2010 IDNR Hoosier Outdoor Experience. A wonderful 2-day event put on every September at Ft. Harrison St Park. They have all kinds of vendors and activity providers, with stuff like bow fishing, kayaking, geocatching, hiking, skeet shooting, you name it. I was running a temp 9-hole disc golf course there and Jake and several other Scouts came up to my booth early on Sunday morning, wanting to play the course. I started passing out discs and soon got to Jake, coke bottle glasses, white cane and all. I asked him if he was playing and he responded with a ready "yes". So disc in hand, off he went. He had a buddy Scout who would run ahead and "ring the chains" so Jake knew what direction to throw. He would also help him with finding the disc after the shot. Off they went to play the 9 holes! Not only did he play those 9 holes, but ha came back for another round later that afternoon! Needless to say, I was impressed. After his second round we started talking and found that he was a student at the Indiana School for the Blind and Visually Impaired in Indianapolis. I talked to him about some courses that I had designed and been built with the help of various Eagle Scout Projects. He mentioned that he needed an Eagle Project and together we hatched a plan to build a disc golf course, specifically designed and modified for play by BVI players at the school. We gained approval to do so from the school Superintendent and Jake took on the fund raising for materials and equipment as well as getting the labor together to build the course, while I started on the design and layout of the course. It is a beautiful property, you can check it out on this site, Eagle Eye DGC. The course opened in summer 2011 with special hi-contrast signs that included tactile information, raised symbols for tees, baskets, trees, flight path, etc. We also applied extra hi-vis yellow paint to the center pole and basket assembly on the Innova DISCatcher targets. We also formed the Blind Disc Golf Association (a not for profit, 501-c-3 pending, Jake is the President, I am its' Director and we have a few other Board Members), to develop BVI adaptive technology to make more independent game play for BVI disc golf players, and to promote and develop BVI disc golf competition. Here we got some absolutely fabulous help and support from Nason Tackett and the good folks at Discbeeper.com! They were working on a disc beeper for "regular" people to help them find their discs. Just what we needed! Through field testing of designs and equipment by ISBVI students on the Eagle Eye course, we have come up with a complete system (patent pending) of beepers for the discs, target beepers for the baskets and beepers for the tee-signs. All controlled by a hand held pendant type devise. The basket beepers even have a special system of tones so that players can tell them apart. We are also working on other navigation aides and equipment. The goal is to start putting BVI modified courses in as many places as possible and we have been contacting blind schools, camps and other organizations across the US to that end. The biggest hurdle right now is money. We need it not only for operational expenses, but to pay for the patents and begin production of the adaptive technology equipment. We also need money for design and installation costs of the courses. To that end we have been pursing various grants and are in the process of opening a "Group Funding" account so that the average person can help out too. And yes, we do have plans to ultimately have National and even World Championship competitions for BVI players! You can check us out at our Facebook Page and soon on our web site bdga.us (under construction).

MacDaddy, you forgot the most important part of the story.....the 2nd round they came back to play was in a DOWNPOUR! We had to hold down your tent! The Course at the Indiana School for the Blind and sight impaired is the coolest thing I had the privilege to be a little part of in DG. To bigger things in the near future!!