• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How far can you throw your putt and approach discs?

How far can you throw your putt and approach discs?

• Total voters
Things have changed since I posted this 3 years ago. :)

Now I can consistently throw 300' with a wizard, and can get 350' in an open field with no ceiling.
^ internet distance

I jest Matthew, I jest. :p

Ion, 250 would be the comfortable max before I club up.

Ion, 250 would be the comfortable max before I club up.

This would have been my answer, but weekend before last I did a putter only round for the first time.

On a 300' tunnel shot, I put an Ion out to about 280' dead nuts, shoulder height. (!!!) NEVER would have tried a putter there.

Got me thinking about expanding my idea of what to use putters for/when. There will be more putter only rounds in my near future, for sure.

350 is doable with my wizards, but I prefer to drive them under 290. anything more than that is more comfortable with a roc. with no ceiling, and a 300 something foot hole, it is fun to let them rip though.

On a 300' tunnel shot, I put an Ion out to about 280' dead nuts, shoulder height. (!!!) NEVER would have tried a putter there.

Got me thinking about expanding my idea of what to use putters for/when. There will be more putter only rounds in my near future, for sure.

I throw other discs and then throw my ION 2nd shot and think.. ill be throwing my ion next time this hole. I would bet that I easily throw 50% putter drives on holes under 300' and some courses it gets 75% of the overall use from tee to pin every hole. Distance doesn't matter much anymore in reagrds to using my ions and that was the same case when I threw pures b/c they can fly so damn far.

My Opto Pure stops maintaining it's typical flight pattern (neutral) and moves towards understable (or lacking in HSS) around 260'. I guess I can get it out to 280' or so but then it's more of a turnover line.

300' max with a Yeti Pro Aviar. Massive sky anny above all of the trees on 18 at Wheeler is a shot I'll do from time to time and I have landed past the basket.
Like others have said, it's not a shot I do with much regularity unless I have no ceiling and very little wind (aka almost never). I voted 250, as that is a distance in which I can consistently throw putters on golf lines.

I usually only throw em up to 250 just cuz that's comfortable but I can pretty easily get 300 and then some. I throw mainly dx aviars but also drive with a yeti aviar and a glow big bead aviar

Without anything in the way I can get my wizards 275 accurately. I can actually put soft Mercies out past 300 but the plastic on those things that feels so good in the hand is worth jack sh!t once it hits a tree or two so I had to switch :\

Just did my first "Putter Only" round in a while. Was getting my KC-Pro Aviar out to around 200' and my brand new R-Pro Rhyno out to around 175'. I was having trouble with my Opto Pure turning right and rolling over, so I've got some work to do there.

I feel like if I continue to work with these putter I can increase this distance some. I can see where it is much more about form and smoothness than about strong-arming it.

Spot on. I can't do a thing with my Pures if I strong arm them, but they're the greatest invention of all time when thrown smoothly.

I can throw a KC Aviar upwards of 300, but I rarely do so. I tend to just throw a Roc at that distance, but have no qualms throwing my Aviars 250.

200'-225' consistently on golf lines. I can crank them out to 250'+ on occasion but usually when I try to put that much power on a putter, I get a bad case of the OATs. So after 225' or so I'd much rather just throw a neutral mid nice and easy.

Also, I understand that with good form I could throw a putter nice and easy and easily hit 250'+... But I don't have that good technique!

I started throwing Ions as driving putters last week and was getting them out to 180' on an open football field.

I never understood why people drove with putters until I tried it. BIG "AHA" moment for me.

I've thrown putters from one side of a football field to another, but on the course, I don't use putters on many holes past 320'. I can't putt with them, but I can drive well with them.