• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Far Will You Go For Your Disc?

TalbotTrojan

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
So I was playing at La Mirada today with some of the locals and had a shot that decided to roll into the murky waters of the lake. It was my absolute favorite disc, a well beat in Star TL. The problem was that it is colored a nice deep blue making it hard to see in water. Anyways I was so frustrated that I lost my disc that I decided after the round to go back and go fishing for my disc. Even though I could not see more than a couple of inches deep in the water and had to hike my shorts up to my crotch, I found my disc after looking for about five minutes. Of course I also found someone elses disc. This is not the first time I have risked wading through these waters to get my disc, but it led me to ask the question: To what lengths would you go to in order to get your favorite disc back? How long would you look in the woods? How deep into the water will you go? Where is the line you draw when looking for your discs?

I've gone neck-deep in stagnant water for my discs. The only bad part is that the discs reek of that water for a long, long time.

When gas was $4.00 per gallon I drove 60 miles (one way) and spent an hour re-searching a field that I had already spent an hour searching and found my favorite CFR Destroyer. The Boss came out a week later and I shelved the destroyer. If I had known the Bosses would be so good I would have saved the gas money and used it to buy more Bosses.

45 minutes on my tie dye driver! It was an open field and I swore that it was not an option to walk away without finding it. Field was typical Kansas prairie grass and the disc flipped white side up. I'll do it again in a heart beat! :cool:

i look until i get that hopeless feeling like the way those people look in those depression commericials like you just want to quit playin and go drowned yourself then i get over that and go buy a new disc then the cycle continues as far as how long i will look maybe everytime i play there for a month or maybe once or twice. if its stuck in a place where i throw alot without any visable alligators or cottenmouths i might look indefiantly the more i get pissed about not finding it the harder i look until i find it or im just out of piss or youve got to move on to the next hole because your starting to look like a confused hiker looking at things that no one else sees

My baby a red star teebird has spent the night at two courses and a two week hiadious at another. I about cried last time i lost it at a ice bowl i went in waist high freezing water to get nothing. Luckily some saint found like 70 disc the next day when the creek drained, i would go to the ends of the earth for this disc. Thing is never give up i swear the other day i was looking in a spot i just know a disc i lost years ago had to of landed, sometimes you can find them weeks later if the course isnt heavily played.

A yellow elite Z Flick BRAND NEW!! it was a nice fall day...leaves blowing all that jazz...blind hill made my disc slide under the leaves after a tomahawk...went to lowes..bought a gas leaf blower spent about 4 hours total blowing leaves around and still did not find it...some kids were helping me look for it cuase he had lost his..found his yet never found mine...odd thing was I did find my keys though LOL...oh yeah I returned the leaf blower and said it wasn't what I wanted haha!

A yellow elite Z Flick BRAND NEW!! it was a nice fall day...leaves blowing all that jazz...blind hill made my disc slide under the leaves after a tomahawk...went to lowes..bought a gas leaf blower spent about 4 hours total blowing leaves around and still did not find it...some kids were helping me look for it cuase he had lost his..found his yet never found mine...odd thing was I did find my keys though LOL...oh yeah I returned the leaf blower and said it wasn't what I wanted haha!

Nice use of borrowing the leaf blower to search for your disc! I did that once with a portable DVD player on a long road trip-we returned it when the trip was over.

I haven't gone to some of the extremes that you guys have. I have a couple of discs in water at the moment that I know when the water level lowers for one of them, I want to try to get that disc back. The other is in the middle of a pond that I know I will swim for when it warms up.

I climbed 30 feet up in a tree to get a disc. If that doesn't extreme consider that I was 51, 5' 11" and 260 freakin pounds at the time!

I threw an FLX Drone ace disc in one of the super swaggy little pond at Vacaville Ca course. I do whatever it takes for an ace disc. So I left my boots on and went for it up to my waist. The water was like 80 degrees it felt like, warmer than the air. It was slimy and smelly and I saw numerous fish, a turtle, and a snake in the process of getting it. Oh yeah there's massive amounts af duck sh#t in the water too. Anyways I got it back. Felt bad for my friends on the drive back to Tahoe cause I smelled worse than a porta pottie. I also went in a near freezing creek and noodled with my feet under the bank(edge of creek) and found my Champ Roc. Water was so cold it was like 20-30 seconds max then I had to get out and back in. Found a Star Teerex and Z Wasp before I forund my Roc both had no names..... so it made up for it. I kinda go big for all my discs, don't really like leaving them behind.

Went swimming in water when it was 40 degrees out for my star wraith. Didn't find it but found someone else's, no phone # on it and a nickname no one recognized. I will be swimming for mine again when it warms up.

I will put it this way...

My Duck hunting waders got a lot more use this year as disc retrieving waders than they did duck hunting!!!

In fact they are standard equipment just about any time we go play... Not to mention I have recovered 14 disc's besides my own so far this year!!!

Josh

My Duck hunting waders got a lot more use this year as disc retrieving waders than they did duck hunting!!!

In fact they are standard equipment just about any time we go play... Not to mention I have recovered 14 disc's besides my own so far this year!!!

Josh

I need to get me some of those.

I threw an FLX Drone ace disc in one of the super swaggy little pond at Vacaville Ca course. I do whatever it takes for an ace disc. So I left my boots on and went for it up to my waist. The water was like 80 degrees it felt like, warmer than the air. It was slimy and smelly and I saw numerous fish, a turtle, and a snake in the process of getting it. Oh yeah there's massive amounts af duck sh#t in the water too. Anyways I got it back. Felt bad for my friends on the drive back to Tahoe cause I smelled worse than a porta pottie. I also went in a near freezing creek and noodled with my feet under the bank(edge of creek) and found my Champ Roc. Water was so cold it was like 20-30 seconds max then I had to get out and back in. Found a Star Teerex and Z Wasp before I forund my Roc both had no names..... so it made up for it. I kinda go big for all my discs, don't really like leaving them behind.

Speaking of Ace discs, I think the other disc that I found today besides my own was an Ace disc, there were lots of signatures on it besides the owners.

Anybody else have this problem?

I have this phobia about going into murky water. I don't like not being able to see the bottom. I especially don't like that nasty mud at the bottom of some ponds. It is compounded if it looks like a snake sanctuary. I am not afraid of snakes just surprising them scares me. A nice crystal clean trout stream is another story, I'll wade around in that all day long. Problem is, not any courses are generally built around nice clear running streams here in metro Atl (deep enough to lose your disc anyway). I will spend up to an hour looking for a disc on dry land though. If it goes in nasty water its bon voyage. If someone finds it and calls me offering to return it I will somehow reward them. If not, thats my loss.

I was walking Trophy Lakes early one morning before a tournament that I was going to play blind. Temperature was in the upper 20s, frost on the ground. A guy came through, playing and running, to get a practice round in in about 30 minutes.

About midway through the course we find him, stripped to his shorts and standing thigh-deep in the water, looking for a disc. As we pass, I hear him say "I'm going to have to dive....", followed by a big splash.

Several holes later he passes us again, soaking wet in sub-freezing temperatures, and STILL PRACTICING the course! Gotta' admire the dedication!

I later asked what that was all about. It was his putter than he'd thrown in the water (on a basket near the lake). Well, we can all understand.

I spent a half hour walking around in a pond at Old Farm Park (Hole #17) barefoot trying to find my Star TL. It was a balmy 40 degree October morning. You couldn't see the bottom of the pond so the only way I could search was to drag my feet over some of the sharpest rocks you can imagine. I had to get out every 5 minutes or so to regain the feeling in my legs. After stubbed toes and lots of cursing I finally found a disc after about 30 minutes. I lept for joy and ran out of the pond only to discover I'd found someone's piece of **** 150g DX Valk. Oh man I was pissed.

The moral of the story: Don't throw your disc as far as you can when there's a freaking pond 15 feet behind the basket. I've lost two discs on that hole now... if it happens again I'm going to come back with a bulldozer and dump truck and fill the pond in. I'll do it... I'm crazy.

Anybody else have this problem?

I have this phobia about going into murky water. I don't like not being able to see the bottom. I especially don't like that nasty mud at the bottom of some ponds. It is compounded if it looks like a snake sanctuary. I am not afraid of snakes just surprising them scares me. A nice crystal clean trout stream is another story, I'll wade around in that all day long. Problem is, not any courses are generally built around nice clear running streams here in metro Atl (deep enough to lose your disc anyway). I will spend up to an hour looking for a disc on dry land though. If it goes in nasty water its bon voyage. If someone finds it and calls me offering to return it I will somehow reward them. If not, thats my loss.

I have a backup of pretty much everything I throw, but I'll still go to great lengths to get a disc back. I don't at all want to get in nasty murky water so bought a disc diver. It basically pays for itself once you get two discs back. http://www.discdiver.com/