• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Has The Game Changed?

I think people just got better, the sport grew more professional and people know how to practice properly nowadays.

The Roc for example has been around for ages. People nowadays can throw it well over 400 feet, but I guess people werent able to do so back when it was first released, otherwise we would see way more older courses with 400+ holes.

I think people keep saying 'were nearing the big time' because whenever somebody discovers the sport, they just cannot understand why the rest of the world doesn't think it's as awesome as we do! It's a typical reaction of somebody entering the sport and staying involved.

I have no clue since I've only been playing for a little less than three years. But from the old courses I've played I'd say discs fly farther and lines have gotten tighter. Seems like it was probably a drive and putt long ago. Now the courses seem to have more opportunity for disaster.

The biggest change has been the plastic. Back in the day you had to meet the guy who sold discs. Everything was DX. Selection was limited but that was OK because the very few people I knew that played frisbee golf only used a couple discs anyway.

The discs they make now days! The plastic is just too sexy for me. I've gone back to DX personally because premium plastics have really changed the game.

Innovations in general, I guess, thanks to the explosion of small disc companies, especially equipment-specific companies that make disc golf clothing, bags, etc., and the "push-the-envelope" attitude of companies like MVP and Arroyo (heck, even Quest gets an honorable mention in this little run-down!).

All the discs I had before 2002 were found by my grandfather who walked Todd Park in Austin, MN every morning looking for baseballs, softballs, etc... and kept giving us these weird Frisbees. So, if you lost any discs at Todd Park in the 1990's you probably ended up helping a few dozen people get into disc golf in the Twin Cities. :thmbup:

LOL!! You probably learned to play with some of my lost discs!:hfive:

Course design and more people are the biggest changes I've seen over the years.

Fan grip (more freestyle grip) vs. powergrip. Perhaps I was simply not enough "in the know;" but it seemed to me there were few power grip players in the old days.

All the discs I had before 2002 were found by my grandfather who walked Todd Park in Austin, MN every morning looking for baseballs, softballs, etc... and kept giving us these weird Frisbees. So, if you lost any discs at Todd Park in the 1990's you probably ended up helping a few dozen people get into disc golf in the Twin Cities. :thmbup:

I remember when Todd Park first went in and hosted their first tournament. It had like one or two baskets and the rest of the holes were cedar posts. Those of us that had our own baskets would bring them down to the tournaments at Todd Park.

I always liked the course at Todd Park.

When I started playing back in the early 90's, I don't remember there being 60 different divisions, only am 1, am 2 and then the open divisions......there is way too much overlap today imo! Perhaps that is for a different thread though! I am also happy to see schools starting to implement dgolf, that was certainly not the case back then.

:thmbup:

Sounds like more people, more courses, more discs and more info. All around growth.

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned the improvements in baskets. When was the last time anyone experienced a would be ace blow through a multi-chain basket? Titans rule!

I think the sport has mirrored the changes sociologists see among the different population cohorts, i.e. Baby Boomers, Gen X and Millennials. The Baby Boomers did and still show a lot of volunteerism along with Gen X in building the sport, running events and the PDGA. Something like 90-95% of TDs are at least 40 years old. The Millennials whether fair or not have been called the Entitlement cohort, spoiled and tech savvy expecting instant gratification and delivering it themselves if it can be done technically. Volunteering isn't their thing yet although volunteering in any cohort tends to increase with age and the oldest Millennial is just under 30 right now. The young studs are expecting to be showered with big payouts when the top playing baby boomers in their youth were happy to play for money at all.

The payout percentages have changed. It used to be only the top 33% got paid, now it seems like everyone gets paid. What is it like 40-50% of the field gets paid now?

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned the improvements in baskets. When was the last time anyone experienced a would be ace blow through a multi-chain basket? Titans rule!

I agree. I recently played my 1st round on a course with Gateway baskets. They could only be described as spectacular!

I think the sport has mirrored the changes sociologists see among the different population cohorts, i.e. Baby Boomers, Gen X and Millennials. The Baby Boomers did and still show a lot of volunteerism along with Gen X in building the sport, running events and the PDGA. Something like 90-95% of TDs are at least 40 years old. The Millennials whether fair or not have been called the Entitlement cohort, spoiled and tech savvy expecting instant gratification and delivering it themselves if it can be done technically. Volunteering isn't their thing yet although volunteering in any cohort tends to increase with age and the oldest Millennial is just under 30 right now. The young studs are expecting to be showered with big payouts when the top playing baby boomers in their youth were happy to play for money at all.

lol.

I've had two in a row recently! The first hit the center pole and bounced straight back about 10'. The second hit the right side solidly and dropped just outside the basket. My next shot parked about 5' short. Then I went home.

40 is to young to be a baby boomer

That's true, but I included Gen X'rs in there as volunteers and they're 30-47 or so.

I've had two in a row recently! The first hit the center pole and bounced straight back about 10'. The second hit the right side solidly and dropped just outside the basket. My next shot parked about 5' short. Then I went home.

A blow through is when the disc passes though the chains and out the other side. I wouldn't consider either of those blow throughs. For that matter, biting metal off the tee twice in one round I would consider a good day!

Latest posts