• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] How it all started

cboucher

Par Member
Hey guys,

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the first model disc golf disc was? I'm not talking about the first lid someone used for disc golf, but the first disc actually made specifically for disc golf. I'm guessing it's an Innova disc, just curious about which mold was the first...

I believe the first disc was the aero, but at the time it was called the eagle.

Weird. Here was how I remember it:

The Aero had tooling that said "Champion Discs" or something like that in big letters with the patent number (I'm not cool enough to remember the patent pending ones.)

The mold got distorted so it was retooled into the Phenix in '88 and that disc had the old Aero tooling; the Aero went OOP.

Around 1995 or '96, the Aero was recreated as the "Classic Aero." This new recreated Aero had Rancho tooling and the word "Aero" in the tooling.

BTW, there isn't a difference that I'm aware of between the "Classic" Aero and the current Aero. They dropped the "Classic" at some point since there wasn't another Aero to distinguish it from; there was no point in calling it "Classic" other than to let you know the disc name was really old.

Master3putt

If you check the PDGA disc approvals, the Eagle was approved in 1982 and the Aero with the same specs was approved in 1983. No retooled approval submitted so the current Aero must be the same dimensions as that early approval. And, the current Eagle was redesigned and approved in 1999.

Nice. Guess I really should get one and check out what the newest warp-speed driver was like when I was born. :)

If you check the PDGA disc approvals, the Eagle was approved in 1982 and the Aero with the same specs was approved in 1983. No retooled approval submitted so the current Aero must be the same dimensions as that early approval. And, the current Eagle was redesigned and approved in 1999.

+1 - IBC*

* - In Before Chuck!

Latest posts