• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long do you search for a disc before calling it quits?

Of my 26 discs lost, 19 were in unrecoverable water, 3 were left on the field/in basket, 3 were lost in the schule, and one disintegrated [CE Valkyrie--sobsobsob].
So, out of the discs I actually "hunted" for, only 3 went unfound.

Average time looking for a lost disc [that was eventually found] was 3-5 minutes. One disc took 3 sessions of searching and over an hour total---but I did find it.

Last edited:
I looked for a long while until it was too dark to see...I came back about a week later and looked around...no luck.

I have done this too, a day or two later realized a disc is missing in my bag. Going through the last time I threw it on a course, driving back and finding it. Such an awesome feeling.

This has happened multiple times with me in the snow, lose it, look forever.....wait until snow melts. Boom!! Disc safely recovered and in flight again. Great feeling.

** Also, to add....I always carry a 'water-disc' Which is just a old disc that I found or whatever. Currently I have a Blaze Orange (so I can see it best even if in water) Champ Starfire beat in good. I also have a Blaze Orange XS, ESP Flash, DX Wraith. These are just ones that I've stumbled upon....no names, and i asked around and posted on a Lost and found. After a month....I use them as ''''water-discs'''' So if there is a mild chance of going in a lake, pond, or swamp....I will use one of those. and honestly that beat starfire flies in a perfect S shape and always finishes stable....very nice disc actually, just beat n ugly, haha.

To the guy who talked about discs like they were tissues....to be used and discarded and doesnt care because time is $.....thank you and all ppl like you for all the discs I've found over the years.

I will go anywhere anytime and look til midnight to find my discs....They aren't just DX rocs that I dont give a **** about. I like my disc lineup.....anyway, Ill jump in that water, I'll go through the thorn bushes, I'll climb the tree....think its stupid? Go ahead. I get my property back. And relaying everything to time and money.....really? Very dumb analysis in MY opinion. (If I look for an hour I just spent 20$ to work for an hour) Oh OK, so I'll just never look for anything that's mine....I won't even pick up my discs because I'd have to bend over and that's work, I'd rather be sitting on my high horse on top of a pedestal handing down Life Lessons to all the towns people. lol:|

Until I hear my mom calling my name for dinner.

I have backups for nearly every disc in my bag. If I'm playing solo, I'll probably spend 20 mins looking for it, depending on the stuff we're looking in. Many times, I'll spend 10 minutes and then come back if playing multiple rounds. I don't throw any expensive plastic, and it's probably more fun to buy new discs than it is to search through the crap, getting sweaty and pissed off in the process.

As far as people dogging people who give up easier on finding plastic...well...that happens when you can afford to replace it. Try getting a better job, and maybe you won't feel the need to search for 15 hours to find a $10 piece of plastic.

Most discs seem to be found about a minute after the owner gives up. So that's usually how long I look. Practice makes perfect though and the more you search the better you get at finding them.

To the guy who talked about discs like they were tissues....to be used and discarded and doesnt care because time is $.....thank you and all ppl like you for all the discs I've found over the years.

I will go anywhere anytime and look til midnight to find my discs....They aren't just DX rocs that I dont give a **** about. I like my disc lineup.....anyway, Ill jump in that water, I'll go through the thorn bushes, I'll climb the tree....think its stupid? Go ahead. I get my property back. And relaying everything to time and money.....really? Very dumb analysis in MY opinion. (If I look for an hour I just spent 20$ to work for an hour) Oh OK, so I'll just never look for anything that's mine....I won't even pick up my discs because I'd have to bend over and that's work, I'd rather be sitting on my high horse on top of a pedestal handing down Life Lessons to all the towns people. lol:|

First of all, I didn't talk about them like they were tissues, my post mentioned that I would spend more time and effort on discs I was specifically attached to. I love my discs. I also said that I was a believer in the "leave no visible disc behind."

I am just a person who loves disc golfing, and doesn't necessarily enjoy searching for an hour and coming up with nothing. I find it can actually ruin my day. I have a limited amount of time to disc golf, I would rather spend the time I do have available to get as much disc golf in as possible.

In my situation, if I play in a tournament, normally I am swamped and beat tired once the rounds are over and don't have the energy or time to spend out there in the dark looking for my lost disc on the other side of the park. I was just breaking down the way I look at it, and the fact that I could go buy a new one.

I'll just never look for anything that's mine....I won't even pick up my discs because I'd have to bend over and that's work, I'd rather be sitting on my high horse on top of a pedestal handing down Life Lessons to all the towns people. lol:|

As far as this part of your comment, I said nothing of the sort. That is just stupid and unnecessary.

Depends on my liking of the disc. I just got a Prototype Daedalus and threw it in to a lake. I searched for a while but finally saw the glimmer of magenta in the murky brown water. It took a good 20 minutes of wading back and forth until I finally came across it.

On the other hand, I had an old Cheetah that I lost in thick leaves. I looked, came back around after a few holes and looked again. I gave up and just got a new better fairway driver to fill the hole in my heart and bag.

I spent two weeks looking for my Blizzard Wraith in some thick brush on the other side of a creek. Each day after I played, I spent about half an hour trudging through the overgrown mess, kicking bushes and fighting through thorns. I loved that disc. I found it about a foot off the ground in a thorn bush. That hole still gets in my head...

Lost her last Thursday...................... I looked and looked but then gave up.......... and then today I get a picture posted on FB:

10296797_1495731633976640_5724737151717113619_n.jpg

Kat is a relatively new player to the local DG scene and was responsible for the return of my beloved roller disc. :hfive: She's got a bottle of the best beer I can find coming her way.

Lost her last Thursday...................... I looked and looked but then gave up.......... and then today I get a picture posted on FB:

Kat is a relatively new player to the local DG scene and was responsible for the return of my beloved roller disc. :hfive: She's got a bottle of the best beer I can find coming her way.

That's awesome. My buddy just lost his go to proto star xcal, was bummed to no end. Then a few days got a call, he was so stoked. By the way, what disc is that?

I throw all current production discs and don't have a strong sentimental attachment to any of them at this point. That said, I'm also very thrifty and hate the thought of spending money if I don't have to.

I have yet to have to search for more than 5 minutes on dry land for a wayward disc.

However, I have drowned two Leopards since I've started playing about 9 months ago. The first I threw into the middle of the Winthrop Lake shortly after I began playing DG. I deemed this one irretrievable as soon as it splashed down. The second was at Goose Landing. This one appeared to have landed within 6 feet of the shore so I thought I had a shot at retrieving it. I peered into the muddy water and poked about with a tree branch for about 10 minutes before deciding to return the following day with my fishing waders and a garden rake. I fished around for a good 45 minutes up to my waist in the frigged November water before before giving her up for dead.

Depends on the disc. If I loose one of my ace discs I'd search until I get hypothermia. I did that once after I lost my first ace disc in a fairly deep creek channel; spent 1 hr after the round in the middle of January searching for it.

Since then I'll only throw disc I can afford to loose on holes where the probability of a FUBAR shot is higher than normal, such as over water on a windy day.

^^Yep, depends on the disc^^ I lost a Blizzard TeeDevil, looked 5 minutes and had zero regrets (then someone returned it 6 months later). Today I hunted down a black champ Leopard for 20 minutes since is my primary turnover disc (lesson never buy a black disc).

Depends on the disc for me. I would look forever for my Candy Pro Firebird. I would stop my round until I found that thing. If I lost a production run of a disc, then it depends on if I am playing with anybody. I'll usually give it 10 minutes if I'm in a bigger group, and maybe 20 in a twosome. By myself I'd probably look for like 30 minutes.

Latest posts