• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] How Long Do Your Putters Last?

How long you figure James Conrad was using Greenie? Bet he'd still be using it if not for changing sponsors.

Putting has always been a strong part of my game. Yeah they still work lol

picture.php

Larry LaBond here in Kzoo still putts with his 86 Softie. He's great with it!

Larry LaBond here in Kzoo still putts with his 86 Softie. He's great with it!

Ask him if he's tried any new ones (old 86 Softies but never used) and if he liked them.

I got a brand new one a few years ago and used it for a few rounds then sold it. I have talked to other old timer 86 Softie users who said the same thing.

Ask him if he's tried any new ones (old 86 Softies but never used) and if he liked them.

I got a brand new one a few years ago and used it for a few rounds then sold it. I have talked to other old timer 86 Softie users who said the same thing.

I do believe his go-to is the same one he's been using for around 30 years.

This happened yesterday:thmbdown: (Protege Clutch)

mxCUt6O.jpg

Those old greens were pretty special. Never particularly cared for Magnets so the Clutch and never gelled, but I loved the Clozer I had in that green.

Incredibly sorry for your loss. It looks like it was well loved.

I had been using the same putting putter (R-Pro Aviar) for probably 5 years, but lost it a few weeks ago. It's somewhere in my next door neighbor's bushes though, so it'll be coming back around. Played a few rounds last week with a Swan2 instead and did alright.

To the original question - asking how long the putter themselves physically last? Or asking, how long do they stay in the bag before I get disgusted with the results and try something else? The answers are going to be polar opposites.

Ultimately I am trying to get a feel for the amount of time it takes until you get "disgusted with the results" and the putter leaves the "Main Putter" slot in the bag. But I am also interested in seeing how many people really use the same putter for 5+years, or 10+ years.

Ultimately I am trying to get a feel for the amount of time it takes until you get "disgusted with the results" and the putter leaves the "Main Putter" slot in the bag. But I am also interested in seeing how many people really use the same putter for 5+years, or 10+ years.
I mean they are putters; I'm disgusted with the results as soon as I use them. :\

I actually had to retire two putters out of concern for their condition; I chunked a bunch of plastic off of an Aviar PandA on the number plate of a Mach III in 1997 and by 2009 there were hairline cracks on the underside of the flight plate where the plastic was thin so I hung it up in the garage.

That disc had a weird use history in that it was my go-to putter for only about two years and then it became the ol' Billy Baroo; I used to pull it out when I needed a long clutch putt. There was even a hidden compartment in my old bag it sat in. It was a hoot; I nailed some long putts with that thing. I'd even give it the "Oh, Billy Billy Billy...This is a biggy! Don't let me down, Billy!" drama.

Now that I think about it, I was kinda a pain in the *** to play with back when I could putt. :|

The majority of the putts during the time the ol' Billy Baroo was in the bag were taken by a generic red big bead grid Aviar and a 9X KC Pro Aviar. The 9X had to be retired in 2014 because something sliced the bead right where I held the disc and try as I might I couldn't adjust where I was holding the darn thing.

So the ol' Billy Baroo and the 9X are retired. Both of them still throw fine, I'm just worried they will break. The red big bead goes back in the bag whenever I'm throwing Aviars; it has plenty of life left after 24 years.

Putters for me go in and out of the bag more on the fact that I've used four different molds as my putter and I switch back in forth. It's not usually because of any problem with my putting, I just like a lot of putters. :\

I have two main putting Wizards in the bag at all times. First slot is something relatively fresh for the stability. Second slot is an old one that I've carried for close to 15 years. It's still my main go-to putter.

I mean they are putters; I'm disgusted with the results as soon as I use them. :\

I actually had to retire two putters out of concern for their condition; I chunked a bunch of plastic off of an Aviar PandA on the number plate of a Mach III in 1997 and by 2009 there were hairline cracks on the underside of the flight plate where the plastic was thin so I hung it up in the garage.

That disc had a weird use history in that it was my go-to putter for only about two years and then it became the ol' Billy Baroo; I used to pull it out when I needed a long clutch putt. There was even a hidden compartment in my old bag it sat in. It was a hoot; I nailed some long putts with that thing. I'd even give it the "Oh, Billy Billy Billy...This is a biggy! Don't let me down, Billy!" drama.

Now that I think about it, I was kinda a pain in the *** to play with back when I could putt.

Quite the opposite. This type of attitude is what makes disc golf fun. If you can't bust the, um, chops, of the people you are playing with, then you are playing with the wrong people. In my regular group, the rules are simple: make fun of a bad shot, cheer a good shot, and most of all, have fun.

Last edited:
I've been set on putting with Super Soft Warlocks since late 2011 but don't think it was until 2012/2013 that I would have ones dedicated to putting only. So I tended to either lose or excessively warp the ones I had early on. I have 3 in the practice putting stack that date back to to 2012/2013 and have just continued to build the stack since then.
Generally I'll rotate which I bag (normally a pair) based on some combination of feel and mojo. The old ones still putt fine but it's fun to break in new plastic. And conversely it's fun to grab a pair I haven't bagged in a while to see how it does on the course. Given Gateway's wide array of plastic blends I've found some I've disliked and gotten rid of. I'll also sometimes I'll pull one from the putting stack to fill the flippy throwing putter slot.

Drivers come and drivers go, but a putter that inspires confidence lasts forever.

I'm still putting with my first P2, even tho I have a stack of fresh and slightly used ones. I prefer a putter to feel dinged up. When I hold a putter that's not as dinged up it feels foreign and doesn't instill confidence

When is the funeral?

Had quite the Irish wake last night. She was celebrated lol

Those old greens were pretty special. Never particularly cared for Magnets so the Clutch and never gelled, but I loved the Clozer I had in that green.

Incredibly sorry for your loss. It looks like it was well loved.

Yeah I feel you no that, I was into Magnets for a while but once the Clutch came out I instantly liked it more. Slightly lower profile, slightly less deep, a hair more stability...my buddy loves the Clozer. They feel nice but I've never been a beaded putter guy.

Luckily I have like 93 other Clutches to choose from lol (not literally). Thanks buddy:thmbup:

I'm still putting with my first P2, even tho I have a stack of fresh and slightly used ones. I prefer a putter to feel dinged up. When I hold a putter that's not as dinged up it feels foreign and doesn't instill confidence

I'm the exact opposite way with dinged up putters. I don't like it, at all. But I'm spoiled with Vibram as my go to for putting. (until I find a in production putter I like)