• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] How many Comets do you carry?

I'm not an SD86 hater, and I think you add much to the forums here, especially on threads where you get ganged up on... Except on all things Comet! I guess that validates your popcorn.

That said, I do think most people think Comets feel a bit uncomfortable early on. I definitely did, and I think it was the prominent bead. I fell in love with a Buzzz the first time I held and threw it, but the Comet wasn't that way at all

Thanks for the comments. Yep, daring to defy the Comet-love is a ganged-up-on, popcorn-posting offense. ;)

Agree about the Comet rim. I have held a Comet in my paws, and I don't like the rim, which I liken to the Roc3's rim. The Roc3 is a good disc, but I like the Buzzz's rim much better, so I bag the Buzzz. Likewise, I like the Mako3's rim over the Comet.

So I shall leave the Comets to Michael Johansen and let him abuse courses and win tournaments with them, and I'll stick to Mako3s and Pink Panthers. :thmbup:

Understable - Well seasoned lighter X Comet for effortless turnovers
Neutral to Slightly Understable - Either a Seasoned Z Comet (what I currently throw) or a relatively new ESP Comet

when I carried comets, this was my setup, paired with 2 rocs, 1 dx 1 kc

I carry two in my bag: a max weight Z and an old planet stamped Comet (closest to current X plastic). The Z is for straight to slightly right turn shots. The older Comet is for the big anhyzer shots and occasionally getting out of trouble shots.

Opto Claymore and Opto Pure took that spot in my bag, I did love my max weight ESP Comet though, but don't really miss it

Hmmmm, this thread makes me want to slip a Comet back in the bag.

I bag one 171g ESP Comet as my main midrange.

I have a second Comet in X plastic for field work. It is a tiny bit more understable, has a bit more dome, and is more picky when it comes to clean form. On a good day, both discs fly the same. On a bad day, the ESP one flies reliably but the X one provides true feedback. ;-)

I've never been one to bag more than one of anything at a given time (outside of having 2 putters) so I just have my one old beat down X. Picked up a Z line last month but haven't given it a toss yet.

I'm pretty locked into my mid combo of Comet - Roc - Truth as each has its tried and true flight paths.

Need profile pic to determine if legit.

The Gauge actually looks like a smooshed down Aviar. It's legit.

For Hughes Hilton, I'll call it a modern Comet.

gauge_b.jpg

Used to be two. One Ti for most all of my midrange shots (even though they can get long and creep on US fariways like Leopards) and one less stable Z. I paired them with Champ Rancho and Champ Sanny Rocs. Those Ti Comets are amazing. There is a reason MJ leans on them.

But now I just throw Rocs. Because: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320. Also, because you always have to pair Comets WITH another midrange mold.

But goddamn if the Comet isn't just about the second most perfect disc ever made. Just turns out the Roc is the most perfect.

Usually one.

Two if I really need something understable. A z comet can do anything, for the most part. A beaten in x is good for truly understable stuff.