• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] How many Comets do you carry?

Alright, screw you guys. I just bought a Z Comet just because SD won't.

Need there be any better reason? :clap:

Everyone who claims to be a disc golfer should at least be able to say they have thrown a Comet. At least then you can objectively say you hate it.:thmbup:

Everyone who claims to be a disc golfer should at least be able to say they have thrown a Comet. At least then you can objectively say you hate it.:thmbup:

Same thing HAS to be said for the Roc!

[Roc,] A mold I've never owned. Not sure if I have ever even thrown one unless a clone counts.

I had an X-Comet a few years ago that I traded during a PIAS dump. If I remember correctly, it was to get a new Plasma Volt.... :doh::wall:

Going with a 172g Blue Z Comet this time around. :thmbup:

Just turns out the Roc is the most perfect.

A mold I've never owned. Not sure if I have ever even thrown one unless a clone counts.

a0237f317b555f1b75a586d4dc254ff015fca4af728f78d0eab4808847ed65ba.jpg

The first disc I ever bought 21 years ago was a T Pro Comet. I still have it, but I stopped bagging it 6 or 7 years ago. Right now I have an X and a SE Esp in the bag. The Esp is a bit more stable than the X right now because it's virtually unthrown. Occasionally I'll bag a Z, but I prefer the feel of X and Esp. I don't have a huge arm, so it takes a long time before they get flippy. I prefer a Stratus for that shot, most of the time. * Disclaimer:That's just me.

Used to be two. One Ti for most all of my midrange shots (even though they can get long and creep on US fariways like Leopards) and one less stable Z. I paired them with Champ Rancho and Champ Sanny Rocs. Those Ti Comets are amazing. There is a reason MJ leans on them.

But now I just throw Rocs. Because: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320. Also, because you always have to pair Comets WITH another midrange mold.

But goddamn if the Comet isn't just about the second most perfect disc ever made. Just turns out the Roc is the most perfect.
I always carried one or the other. Frank D always used to tell me I could pair them, but there was always too much overlap for me.

So I have this turnover Roc. Sweet 8X KC Roc. It's funny that it's a turnover Roc becasue 18 years ago those were the most OS Rocs I had thrown, but stuff happens. Anyway, I would cry like a baby with real actual tears of despair if something bad happened to that Roc. If it shattered becasue I was too big of a dumb*** to take it out of my bag in the Winter, I'd cry and then kick myself, then cry some more and then kick myself some more.

So it's gotta come out. Most of my Rocs are DX and any of them could shatter in the cold. So what to do...Oh, yeah. Discraft makes my second-favorite midrange in Z that you can buy all day and won't crack up in the cold. So when league ends (which it did this week) Rocs hit the shelf and Comets are back in the bag. I generally get the Rocs back out in early March so they are back in the bag when daylight savings hits and league starts back up.

I've done the Comets for Winter/Rocs the rest of the year thing for eight or nine years now. A couple of times I was clicking with the Comets and they stayed in all year.

So to answer the OP's question I put three in the bag, two Z's and a Big Z. The one Z is max weight and still pretty stable. The Big Z is mid 170's someplace and is the workhorse. The other Z is a flippy little bastard that I got in a trade, I think it is 166g.

The weight is not all that important since I have another magically flippy Z Comet that is 174g. I have a 177g Z that isn't flippy, but it's kinda flat on top and sometimes gets squirrely and flips unexpectedly. I had a 171g Z that I got right after the Z's went back into production that was sweet-stable and was my go-to Comet for years. So weight doesn't really make a huge deal to me in Comets.

The plastic isn't all that important as I still have some 3rd run LE's and some X's I could put in the mix. I just happen to put those three in this time.

The first disc I ever bought 21 years ago was a T Pro Comet. I still have it, but I stopped bagging it 6 or 7 years ago. Right now I have an X and a SE Esp in the bag. The Esp is a bit more stable than the X right now because it's virtually unthrown. Occasionally I'll bag a Z, but I prefer the feel of X and Esp. I don't have a huge arm, so it takes a long time before they get flippy. I prefer a Stratus for that shot, most of the time. * Disclaimer:That's just me.

Meant to say LE (not SE) Esp Comet.

I have one X Comet, Can't remember the weight, but it's probably mid-160's. That's my sweet spot. Before I bought that disc three years ago, I did a lot of research on this site. Everything I read about it was true. It will expose your weaknesses quickly! Conversely, if I throw the Comet right, I can throw everything right. What impressed me right off the bat was the glide. This baby glides for days. Oddly, I don't use it much anymore. I either reach for my DX Shark or Pro Buzzz these days. I still bag my Comet, though.

I always carried one or the other. Frank D always used to tell me I could pair them, but there was always too much overlap for me.

So I have this turnover Roc. Sweet 8X KC Roc. It's funny that it's a turnover Roc becasue 18 years ago those were the most OS Rocs I had thrown, but stuff happens. Anyway, I would cry like a baby with real actual tears of despair if something bad happened to that Roc. If it shattered becasue I was too big of a dumb*** to take it out of my bag in the Winter, I'd cry and then kick myself, then cry some more and then kick myself some more.

So it's gotta come out. Most of my Rocs are DX and any of them could shatter in the cold. So what to do...Oh, yeah. Discraft makes my second-favorite midrange in Z that you can buy all day and won't crack up in the cold. So when league ends (which it did this week) Rocs hit the shelf and Comets are back in the bag. I generally get the Rocs back out in early March so they are back in the bag when daylight savings hits and league starts back up.

I've done the Comets for Winter/Rocs the rest of the year thing for eight or nine years now. A couple of times I was clicking with the Comets and they stayed in all year.

So to answer the OP's question I put three in the bag, two Z's and a Big Z. The one Z is max weight and still pretty stable. The Big Z is mid 170's someplace and is the workhorse. The other Z is a flippy little bastard that I got in a trade, I think it is 166g.

The weight is not all that important since I have another magically flippy Z Comet that is 174g. I have a 177g Z that isn't flippy, but it's kinda flat on top and sometimes gets squirrely and flips unexpectedly. I had a 171g Z that I got right after the Z's went back into production that was sweet-stable and was my go-to Comet for years. So weight doesn't really make a huge deal to me in Comets.

The plastic isn't all that important as I still have some 3rd run LE's and some X's I could put in the mix. I just happen to put those three in this time.

I guess I am lucky to live in Portland. We rarely see temps below freezing. And I've never cracked a disc. But I will switch in some less fancy Rocs for cold weather, or autumn when there is a carpet of loose leaves on the ground, or on rougher courses with more risk of loss. But that is year round, and it helps keep a bunch of Rocs in various states of wear and in the known-quantity rotation.

I may also be using it as an overly-thought-out solution to a not-very-real-World issue as an excuse to have a reason to throw Comets sometimes. I really love Comets. If I have them in a bag with Rocs they just sit around while I throw Rocs, but I really love to throw Comets.

I may also be using it as an overly-thought-out solution to a not-very-real-World issue as an excuse to have a reason to throw Comets sometimes. I really love Comets. If I have them in a bag with Rocs they just sit around while I throw Rocs, but I really love to throw Comets.

Yeah. That makes much more sense. Occasionally, I pretend my Champ Rocs aren't quite working so I can throw my old Sentinels for a bit.

Comets do magic stuff.

Four. Two elite z, one is more overstable and one is straighter. Two elite x, one beat and one newer. Comets are the only mid I carry. Headwinds I power down stalkers.

Latest posts