• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many different throwing styles do you use?

I'll theow whatever I think I need to to make a shot. I try not to think "well I'm a stronger forehand player than backhand" and try to force a shot that isn't right. BH hyzer and FH turnover are two different lines as well, they both finish left, but take different paths to get there. The only shot I really suck at throwing is a BH roller, but I try it anyway if it seems like the best shot. Gotta try to get better right?

I'll take BroDs (thanks, good work :)) format:

RHBH:
• Power grip hyzers, hyzer flips, flat, flex, turnovers, annys
• Fan grip hyzers, hyzer flips, flat

RHFH:
• 2 finger flat hand grip hyzers, flat, flex, annys, rollers.
• Splayed 2 finger fan grip approaches with putters, hyzer, flat, anny.

RHOH
• Tomahawks (rarely)

LHBH:
• wobbly hyzer, flat (I play left when I go with the wife)

Putts(RH):
• Spin putt
• Push putt
• Spush (most putts)
• Lob
• Turbo (sparingly)
• Straddle
• Jump-putt

RHFH - drives, approaches, flick rollers, occasional flick putts
RHBH - approaches & putting (inline & straddle), patent pending, occasional roller, pancake
LHBH - drives, approaches & putting
LHFH - approaches, flick roller
RHOV - Thumber & tomahawk, scooby, turbo
Underhand - an underhand pitch with some snap - we call it an Upper.

LHBH
LHOH
LHFH
LHFH Roller
LHBH Roller
RHBH
BRFH
RHOH
RHFH Roller
RHBH Roller
RHBH Thumber grip thrown BH (called the staker)
RH putter grip thrown as a FH

Not trying to talk **** here but I'd be surprised if there's anyone on this site that can throw as many shot types as proficiently as I can.

I'll do a video of the 20 something different shots I use and post it this weekend.

I may not throw all those shots but I could probably throw a lot fewer than you in a round, wink, wink.

Sorry, not trying to talk **** here, lol.

RHBH with a power slant grip for drives
Almost 0 forehand and would be more 2 hands togther for longer stuff.
Putt is a thumb on top pointer in the rim part of Manget 2 fingers under touching rim in a open mini fan, pinky is too small to touch but is under. I have small hands like a boys large-adult small depending on brand/style of glove.
Midrange shot is either putt grip but pointer finger a bit tucked for a non Magnet style rim or driver depending on throw speed i am doing or how much control I need to execute the line I need to throw.

I know I went overboard but Users of the Magnet and similar putters I see a good portion doing the same with pointer finger.

For throws, I think I read the thing as grips not throws first time.

I do a drive, minus the follow though after disc is released.

Fairway/Midrange is the same as driveds either stand still, with run up, or just the X step into a throw.

A sky hyzer, in place of a tomahawk/thumber.

A forehand approach shot that is not good in heavy wind situations.

My odd putt that has the push putt adding spin further I am out, then at a point about 20 out I add the leg kick in the back and making it more and more like Ricky but a lot less of distance from basket that I can putt. Oh and I use right hand as track guide to not release disc to high or not flat. I use a almost dart game stance.

Last edited:

RHBH Thumber grip thrown BH (called the staker)

Not trying to talk **** here but I'd be surprised if there's anyone on this site that can throw as many shot types as proficiently as I can.

I'll do a video of the 20 something different shots I use and post it this weekend.

Just video this one.

I may not throw all those shots but I could probably throw a lot fewer than you in a round, wink, wink.

Sorry, not trying to talk **** here, lol.

Hell....I don't use all the shots I have in a given round. Having all these shots at my disposal is a significant advantage IMO. :thmbup:

After 24 years of playing and being a fully ambidextrous player it's hard not to have a ton of shots bagged and ready to use.

RHBH - Most everything
RHBH grenades - Skips under stuff, or hyzers over tall stuff
RHBH rollers - Lots of stuff
RHP (pancake) - Putting or upshots over obstacles

RHFH rollers - Woods escapes
RHFH / OH - Only when it's the only shot possible

all of 'em, even crappy lefty when called upon

I throw over handed...But seriously, when I played a lot I threw mostly RHBH-Hyzers, annys, flex, I had a few discs I could throw flat and straight. RHFH, mostly hyzers, an occasional flex or anny. I could throw a decent roller back in the day and I used a tomahawk more than most but I used to have a good arm back in the day and after a 20 year break. I feel like I'm completely relearning the sport. I think its hole 11 at Lincoln Ridge that is a straight shot slightly uphill headed toward the parking lot. I can remember on my best day when I was younger if there was slight cross tailwind instead of the typical headwind, I've thrown past that hole before with a 175 gram Cyclone and that hole has to be around 400 or more? but plays longer because its uphill and there is almost always some sort of wind to deal with. Yeah, I don't throw past that hole anymore. not close! LOL My timing, release, grip, pretty much everything feels out of whack? But I have had a few holes that felt great where everything came together correctly and felt right. Just on Saturday I play Boone Woods and birdied 3 straight holes,, 275-300ft type par 3's but I stick 2 of them within about 10 foot then made about 30-35 foot putt. I then went on to loose a disc, and bogied like the next 3 straight holes? Barely clipping the smallest of limbs, timing and form was way off, grip lock I'm trying to learn too much to fast and need to slow it down so now I have been trying to practice in an open field and not the golf course. I need to get a couple of things figured out then bring it to the golf course. I'm 43 now, far from old but I've been rode hard and put away wet! I've got a lot of old injuries from sports, primarily from racing bicycles on and off for half my life so I know I'll never have the distance I used to have but I can get close to it I think and try and get better at my short game to make up for loss of distance but the main problem I currently have at he moment is the fact I have no game, but used to and just seemed to have misplaced it somewhere so I'm out there looking for it! LOL I've been riding again also so the fitness can only help but I'm going to keep practicing and practicing until I get there!

Most of what I throw RHBH is a modified fan grip/ Climo grip. Distance drivers I use a power grip. On BH shots I probably throw 90% Climo, 10℅ power grip. I primarily throw BH off the tee for max D or shot shaping.

FH gets thrown on anything that is straight that needs to finish right but not max D. I throw most of my approach shots FH because I have better touch.

I'm trying to get better with BH rollers for max D. I'll throw a FH roller when I have to lay one down. I also have decent touch with OH shots, but mostly use them for get out of trouble shots.

For putts I'll do whatever I have to in order to make a look work. I generally use a spush putt in the circle, but can spin, jump, or turbo when needed.

My bag is fairly simple and I don't bag molds I can't throw BH and FH, regardless of speed.

Last edited:
I decided that this year I am going to learn to throw lefty, just for fun.

Learning FH would probably be a better use of my time, but history says I will hurt myself that way. LHBH will be my RHFH.

I started by putting lefty in my apt for the last week or so. Maybe 100-200 putts per day. Almost all crazy short. I also cleared my ping pong table of its' dyeing station, and played myself lefty for like 15 min a day to try to help general coordination lefty.

Then today I went to Lakeview, a little pitch and putt that is my closest winter course. It's easy but not insanely so; Ive yet to hit-9, despite tons of rounds (like four -8s, grr).

I played lefty only, with an omega, a glow QMS, a jokeri, and a glow leo3. I shot +4 (1 birdie, 5 bogeys), then +1 (2 birdies, 3 bogeys). Way better than I anticipated, and gives me hope that I really could develop a serviceable LHBH. Hell, I even made a putt from like 35. By the end, the form and follow through on my standstill felt almost natural. It really helped to just pretend I was ball golfing.

I have on and off started throwing a thumber in the last couple years, but haven't given it the time to develop. After watching Dollar on some feature cards this year and seeing some crazy thumber shots, I'm hoping to put in the practice next year to make it a realistic part of my game.

RHBH,RHFH,LHBH. Normally throw right handed but had shoulder surgery so I have been throwing LHBH for about a year and a half. Now I'm back to throwing right handed again about 50% of the time and its been tough getting back into my form. Was getting fairly good throwing left handed but was a little inconsistent. Now I'm struggling at both of them! Oh well still having fun and hoping I will click with both of them. Practice,practice,practice.:D