• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many different throwing styles do you use?

Blobfish

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
So being pretty new to the game, my goal was to learn to do a few things right before learning to do a whole lot of things mostly wrong. And now I feel like I make up for a lot of deficits in my game by tweaking things that work for me, although I'm not sure that's the best way to go, and I wonder what more seasoned players like you all do.

Here are my three:

1. RHBH power grip
2. A somewhat modified fan grip for approaches and putts
3. Hook thumb thumber

Noticeably absent is the forehand.

I kind of feel like this is a big hole in my game, but at the same time, the occasions I think, "wow I wish I could throw a forehand here", I get around by using a thumber or by hoping to get lucky with an anhyzer throw (I say get lucky because I don't think of practicing it until I actually need to throw it).

So how many different throws (and what kind) do you have in your arsenal?

I wish someone would have told me in the beginning about field work. None of my "friends" at the time did and one of them gave me a bag with an aviar a firebird a beat up old Boss and a proto archer. Nothing wrong with any of these discs but the guy that gave them to me had this to say "discs do what they want when you throw them" haha should have asked someone else and sooner. So many bad habits had I. Id saybyou should practice all the backhands flat, hyzer, anny. And practice your forehand also. And definately practice putting. A lot! Really practice any shot you come across the need for on the course. Of course beginning with the basics flat releases to see what your discs do on their own and then learn how to manipulate those discs. Keep them and learn them in all of their stages bc they'll change they're not broken in fact quite the opposite.

Ah, I think I was a little unclear. With a RHBH power grip, I can control my flat and hyzer throws because those are my most common shots that aren't putts. And with those two throws and a couple stability disc variants, I can get a vast majority of my drives and midrange throws. My anny is garbage because I never think to practice it until I'm in a course and need it. So really, I only have a rhbh power throw, an approach and a putt, and a thumber (I love the reliability of the distance and the dead stop it makes when it lands)

So, where exactly were you unclear? I qoukd practice the anny. Youll need it for anny and flex shots. Practice every shot BC its muscle memory. Practice your putt BC it is hard to putt well. Practice anything you need while on the course

Specifically? Jesus murphy this might take a bit.

RHBH:
• Power grip hyzers, hyzer flips, flat, flex, turnovers, annys, rollers (Swedish style for most except annies and rollers, still Bent Elbow for those).
• Fan grip hyzers, hyzer flips, flat, flex, turnovers, annys, rollers, air bounces, elevators
• Chickenwing for the lulz.
• Grenade (sparingly)

RHFH:
• 2 finger pistol grip hyzers, hyzer flips, flat, flex, turnovers, annys, rollers.
• Splayed fan grip approaches with mids and putters.

RHOH:
• Thumbers, skip thumbers, pancakes/scoobies
• Tomahawks, pancakes. (sparingly throw tomahawks)

LHBH:
• wobbly hyzer

Putts(RH):
• Spin putt
• Push putt
• Spush
• Lob
• Turbo (sparingly)
• True frisbee push (sparingly)
• Straddle
• Jump-putt
• Step-putt

What sryles I throw:
RHBH Swedish with pro-hop
RHBH closed shoulder reach-back with cross step
LHBH bent arm
RHFH closed shoulder with pro-hop
Overhand

Putts:
Pop putt ala Cam Todd
Straddle putt 'russian swing style'

...why so many? Working around old injuries. It does help when I have to scramble...of course if I perfected one style, I probably would not have to scramble as much.

Last edited:
Just RHBH.

Until it gets me in trouble, which is soon enough, after which a grab-bag of forehands, rollers, and prayers, alone or in combinations.

I use FH, BH, OH and both BH and FH rollers.

All with various angles, stability and degrees of power.

Mostly throw RHBH with a power grip.
Putting grip is pretty much a fan grip.
Sometimes but rarely throw RHFH.

Brian Schweberger has 200+ wins and throws only the three shots you have listed in the OP. 2x world champ Barry Schultz is crafty but really only throws two of those shots. There is no real reason that you can't throw anhysers and turn-overs at a very accurate clip, you just aren't practicing them.

Not having a forehand might be a big hole in your game, but there's also nothing wrong with becoming really good at what feels the most natural. Just a matter of putting in the work.

Brian Schweberger has 200+ wins and throws only the three shots you have listed in the OP. 2x world champ Barry Schultz is crafty but really only throws two of those shots. There is no real reason that you can't throw anhysers and turn-overs at a very accurate clip, you just aren't practicing them.

Not having a forehand might be a big hole in your game, but there's also nothing wrong with becoming really good at what feels the most natural. Just a matter of putting in the work.
THIS. a forehand isn't necessary if you practice anhysers consistently. due to physical reasons, some of us can't throw forehand and we work around it. again, ya gotta put the work in to gain confidence....

Off the tee, probably 90% RHBH. Power grip for drivers, fan grip for putters and mids (all using 3 finger grips, not 4), 2 finger stack grip for all forehands. For scramble/approaches, it's pretty much all fair game - FH rollers, grenades, thumber/two finger overhands - some thrown to land plate down and slide, some thrown for full turn.

Mostly RHBH.
Sometimes a RHFH flick if I need a really strong rh finish and can't fit an annie in the space I've got etc. (two finger stack)

I half-fan/half-power grip my approach/distance spin putts (really tough to describe this grip)
I also turbo putt when I'm in close A LOT

Thumber or tomahawk only when I'm desperate and in tree jail etc.

THIS. a forehand isn't necessary if you practice anhysers consistently. due to physical reasons, some of us can't throw forehand and we work around it. again, ya gotta put the work in to gain confidence....

I think it's important to distinguish between power forehands and touch/rescue forehands.

I firmly believe that every player who isn't severely limited by past injuries should learn how to throw a smooth forehand to <50% of their backhand distance for several reasons:
1) Sometimes (or oftentimes, depending on the course) you'll find yourself with a lie that doesn't allow any decent backhand line but allows an open forehand.
2) Anhyzers into the side of a hill are a huge roller risk, even if you have perfect angle control.
3) Anhyzer angle control is much more touchy in wind, especially a gusty headwind.

Let's see:

RHBH (power grip putters, mids, drivers off tee and for longer approaches, fan grip nose up Barry Schultz Frisbee shots for shorter approaches)

RHFH (mostly hyzer only, but starting to incorporate my hyzer flip and anny shots in)

Straddle Putt (pitch style in circle, more spin putt outside of circle)

- RHBH
- RHFH
- Tomahawk/Hammer/Pancake
- Thumber

Having a variety of throws is essential and also makes disc golf fun. I can see the point of the folks saying you don't need a good forehand, but... you need to work on your forehand unless there's some major reason you can't. In that case, your game is going to suffer. Period. Of course this becomes apparent with certain lines, but the shot variety is also really important to give you options when scrambling due to stance reasons and obstacles within 1-2 meters of your lie.

Of course, it's a bit like having lots of discs. Having lots of them is all fine and good, but it's better to have one disc that you can work perfectly than a lot of different discs that do what you want some of the time. With your golf shots, you're going to need to pick exactly one shot from your arsenal to throw from each lie, at least during a scored round. Being able to hit the forehand line consistently (or backhand or overhand) is fine, but consistently is the operative word.

I'm rhbh for almost everything. power grip my drivers, fan grip everything else. I throw backhand rollers for distance. I also throw forehand rollers, but usually just as up shots, not for distance. I throw a ton of tomahawk/pancake upshots inside 200. I only throw forehand when I have no other option, and I never even try to throw more than about 200 feet with a forehand because anytime I throw forehand hard I get elbow pain. Similar with the tomahawks, I never use them for drives because they hurt my shoulder.

LHBH
LHOH
LHFH
LHFH Roller
LHBH Roller
RHBH
BRFH
RHOH
RHFH Roller
RHBH Roller
RHBH Thumber grip thrown BH (called the staker)
RH putter grip thrown as a FH

Not trying to talk **** here but I'd be surprised if there's anyone on this site that can throw as many shot types as proficiently as I can.

I'll do a video of the 20 something different shots I use and post it this weekend.

Last edited:
RHBH
RHBH rollers
RHFH (150' and in, I prefer these over RHBH for approaches)
Thumbers (rescue shots)
Grenade

I don't really throw tomahawks or flick rollers, and very rarely throw FH off the tee.