• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many discs?

It's pretty simple - if you know what all the disc do and use them. Then keep carrying them. It's about confidence not what someone else thinks.

I carry :
2 putters - 1 for just putting and one for approach
4 mids - OS, Slightly OS, sliighty US, US
2 fairway - OS, US This are also vibram so they get used mainly for wooded holes
5 drivers - ranging from OS to US

Being a beginner I try to keep it simple and carry between 6-8 discs. If it's windy I'll add a couple of heavier discs to the bag. For mid shots I use primarily the Buzzz which I throw very consistently. Also most of my discs are OS and 135-165 gr. I can't get a hyser flip with a heavy US disc unless it's into a strong head wind :(

Atm, I'm carrying this:

6 drivers (4 molds)
4 midranges (2 molds)
4 putters (2 molds)

I'm still filling out my setup, though, so I'll probably up that number soon.

I carry 14 for most tournament rounds.

1 putter (champ aviar with a trunk full of identical backups of which I'll use for pre-round practice)
3 mid ranges ('95 classic roc, glo-roc3, buzzz)
10 drivers of varying speeds and stability for throwing both FH or BH (Firebird, TL, Valkyrie, Wraith, Destroyer, D1, beat pro katana plus a few backups)

for casual rounds I actually carry more (16 - 20) because I throw extra drives for practice and/or try out new discs or work on beating in backup discs for tourneys.

right now i am throwing about 20 discs. about 7 drivers 5 mid range and 3 putters. that is only 15 but i normally carry more just in casual.

I know this question is very subjective based on conditions and the course layout, but in general, how many discs is too few and how many is too many? I'm talking about tournament rounds and rounds that you would play seriously. I currently carry about 14 drivers (fairway included) 3 mid ranges and 3 putters. I feel like that is wayyyyy too many. Any ideas?

Yep, it's very subjective. The answer is whatever number you're comfortable with. You gotta play your own game. Some people like a light bag while others (like me) prefer to carry more because they like to have options. I have a couple discs that could do the same job, but it's just nice to have choices.

In short....it's your call. Best of luck!

The best golf I played in my life was with 13 discs in a Gorilla Boy Squirrel Monkey. It was kind of fun whooping up on people carrying 25+.

^ this :) but yes the value of how much plastic you should carry depends on the situation. I say play with as many as you are comfortable with. Just keep in mind of the course(s) you are going to play at, potential hazards of losing a disc, and so on.

If I'm playing at BRP, Lots of mids n fairways, with my crank for hole 19. If i play at my home course (Elm Creek) I have lots of drivers and my buzzz. It's just so long and open. I bring my crank for max D, volt for Slightly Os, shock for OS, and Nuke SS for US duties. (Also have a trashed Pro Katana fornthe extreme left to right shots and rollers). It all depends on the style you want to play that day.

For my noodle arm...
I carry one long distance driver(sped 13)
And then I carry 3 each (one us, stable, one os) drivers, fairways, mid range and putters. This is unique molds....I usually have 2 of each disc I throw in the same color condition and pull each interchangeably in case I lose one.

DiscinFiend is on. Carry a few during a round and learn how to shape the flight. Find a field and practice as often as you can. Learn to shape the flight. All the plastic on the market can become extremely confusing, and just because it flew farther for that guy, doesn't mean it will for you.
I carry 12/15 disc
4- speed 10+
4- mids (Roc, Shark, Buzz)
4- Putters (2 identical, 1 new, 1 beat)
I might add a roller or forehand or beat mid.
There are "beginner" friendly disc, but nothing beats learning to throw

Latest posts