• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many extinct courses can we come up with?

Looks like this course in Kentucky may soon be joining the extinct list. Too bad, it seemed to get good reviews on here.

http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews/headlines/42156617.html
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1396

That's awful! Tearing up nice tee pads, signs, and removing baskets to change the course back to original 9 hole ball golf just in order to meet 80 kids' demands?!?

Why not just leave the basket and just add ball hole nearby so everyone can experiences two different kinds of golfing sports? Who knows some of the kids might discover DG better than ball golf??

It just sad that the town has turned blind eye based on the loss of profit for this course.

I suppose we could call the original Sylmar course extinct. A few years ago Bamba Rico, Steve Rico, and Gary Sandoval took it over a redesigned the course. The course is way better now, utilizing the terrain and obstacles more. For a while you could still play the old course safari style by using the old tee-pads and new pin locations that were closest to the old locations (use new 14's pin as old 3's pin). However, almost all of the original tee-pads have been removed, making the old course practically extinct.
DSCJNKY

There was a private course here in Humboldt county called Up A Tree. It was owned by one of the original Humboldt disc golfers Peter "X-Man" Crossman. A great course up in the hills of Humboldt county, that was sadly lost when Peter died.

RIP "X-Man"
and Up A Tree

Menchville Disc Golf Course in Newport News VA. It was near Menchville High School. It was not the best course to play but it was all that was around here.
Unless you drove all the way to Bayville.

The old baskets have been sitting in storage for several years. The city keeps saying they are going to build another course, and even did a preliminary survey near Yorktown, but they have never done it.

good news dgc in st augustine fl was at a church but someone stole a basket and the church took the whole course out at least that is what i have heard.

There use to be a 18 hole course that went though the dunes in North Wildwood, NJ.

good news dgc in st augustine fl was at a church but someone stole a basket and the church took the whole course out at least that is what i have heard.

Yup baskets were thrown behind the wall where the ACs rest...we were going to play there on our trip down.

who steals from a church?!?

Seriously, I can never believe the litter and vandalism I see on Church courses and other private property where the owner is nice enough to let people come and use the space free of charge.

I'm not sure if this one is listed, but it was an amazing gem that the college students had to ruin...

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1381&mode=ci

For me, it was the best course in Iowa and worthy of a 4.5 disc review (I don't give out 5's easily). The administration is blaming the disc golfers for beer bottles and litter, as well as a brush fire at the north end... I am willing to bet the beer bottles are still there... It's a college campus, of course there is going to be immature drunk @$$holes.

2 In Grand Forks, ND

1. Lincoln Park Course. Was designed by Ed Hedrick back in the day. Got wiped out by a flood in 1997. I can still walk that course, hole by hole, tree by tree in my head.

2. Optimist Park. Built in 1996, removed in 1997. Damn neighbors and their noise complaints. (I helped design and install the course)

I helped build a course when I was in the Youth Civilian Conservation Corps. It was at the Highbanks Metro park In Columbus Ohio. It's long gone now.

Menchville Disc Golf Course in Newport News VA. It was near Menchville High School. It was not the best course to play but it was all that was around here.
Unless you drove all the way to Bayville.

The old baskets have been sitting in storage for several years. The city keeps saying they are going to build another course, and even did a preliminary survey near Yorktown, but they have never done it.

i consulted on the design of that one-not really the greatest piece of land. they had to figure out how to install baskets without digging holes because it was on a recently capped landfill (methane issues). if i recall correctly it was put in the ground prior to the park ever actually opening and the city got frustrated with the golfers sneaking in to play. did the park ever actually get opened?

newport news park was already in the ground at that point though- much closer than bayville.

Two Colorado mountain courses have shut down within the past couple of years.

Rocky Mountain Village DGC, a 27 hole course in Empire, CO (closed due to compliances with Colorado child care regulations)

and

Copper Mountain Resort, which as located at the Copper Mountain ski resort (closed due to erosion issues being located on national forest land)

This thread makes me sad.

It looks like 2 in Charlotte are about to hit the chopping block. Veterans Park...http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=906

It's already down a basket, bad kudzu taking over and at some point a dog park is gonna take it's place.

Doral Cavalier...http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2636

Last time I was at Doral there were only 5 of 12 baskets remaining. Those 5 may have been pulled by now(I'll ride down and check it out this week). This area got flooded bad last year and the apartments are being condemned.

Neither course was spectacular, but Veterans was a good warm-up before you hit Kilborne or Sugaw. The good news is there are at least 5 new ones coming before Worlds '12.

Sadly, I can pass on info to add 2 old courses to this list that were along the South Carolina coast.

1. Kiawah Island - In the early 80's, this was the first disc golf course I ever saw and played. I suspect it may have been the first ever in the state. It was a 9-holer in a park near a pool and restaurant, that the public wasn't really supposed to visit. If you told the guard you were going to eat at the restaurant, you would be given a pass to go directly there. But, if you said you just wanted to go play disc golf, it was a no go. You could either go home or visit the public beach at the other end of the island. That's right, you had to LIE to a security guard in order to play! LOL

2. Huntington Beach State Park along the SC Grand Strand near Myrtle Beach, SC - I hear there was a very nice 18 hole course located here (& I never got to play it.). The reason it went down was it got wiped out during Hurricane Hugo on September 22, 1989 (almost 20 years ago now).

A little South of there is the area that really took the worst of that storm surge (dead deer were found 20 feet up in trees!). Supposedly, the money to replace the course was never re-allocated.

supposedly the baskets at earlewood were re-located from a course in/near myrtle beach- was that huntington beach?

I'm not positive, but it sure seems likely. Huntington Beach is a State Park, so they were owned by SC State govt. What entity owns Earlewood park?

i consulted on the design of that one-not really the greatest piece of land. they had to figure out how to install baskets without digging holes because it was on a recently capped landfill (methane issues). if i recall correctly it was put in the ground prior to the park ever actually opening and the city got frustrated with the golfers sneaking in to play. did the park ever actually get opened?

newport news park was already in the ground at that point though- much closer than bayville.

Yes, it opened for a short time. But it had vandalism problems (not the best part of town) and everyone went to Newport News Park.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=256

lake retreat in Ravensdale, WA, played there two or three years ago before discovering this site, they didn't like random strangers showing up and playing, it was supposed to be a private course for the guests there, oh well wasn't all that great anyway.

Latest posts