• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] How many midranges do I need?

2 mids for me.

CZ Drone, CZ Buzzz.

Anything else can be covered by Wizards in various stages of wear.

Did try my new Gstar Skeeter last night. I found it as flippy as DX right out of the box @ 175. Not sure if it will find a permanent place in my bag over my champion skeeter that I only use by rocks, walkways or roads.
In the bag now:
1 dx skeeter
1 champion or G* Skeeter
1 roc3
1 dx gremlin
1 S gremlin
Also been on the fence with my Ti Buzzz.
Get ready to freak out and type like crazy. I do not use a putter. I have used the XD & Avair in the past & took them out to put skeeters in my putter pocket. I find the dx skeeter close to the XD & just putt with a dx skeeter.

I only have 2 fairway drivers now. 2013 ace race & a very stable Reaper.
Long Drivers- Wraiths, Surge SS, Avenger SS, pd freak.
o.k. let me have it.

I'm a big fan of mids and carry 3 (4 if you count the zone...) but find that I really only throw 2 of them - my fuzion Truth which is new and really beefy right now and a Proto M4 which I can shape any line I want to out of. I still have the M3 in the bag but I played a B tier last weekend and never threw it once over 63 holes. That aside, I consider the zone a utility putter I guess but I throw that thing all the time. So reliable.

It depends on the other discs in your bag & how many discs you like to carry. If your a minimalist & like to throw every disc on as many angles as possible, you may only "need" to carry two mids. If you like to carry a lot of discs & like to carry a disc for every shot then you could "need" to carry 5+ mids. Some mid slots can be deamed uneccisary depending on your bag set up. Some people feel comfortable powering down over stable drivers & don't find a need for a very over stable mid. I used to bag a Champion Gator but I no longer find a need for it because I can power down a Firebird. I only find a need to bag three or four mids. I like cycling & the only mid mold I use is the Rancho Roc. Carry as many mids you think is necessary. I would advise against having to much disc overlap though. I find I play best with as few discs as I possibly can while still being able to cover all the shots I run into on the course. I think its also worth mentioning that its best to only carry discs you know well. If you "know" 5 or more mids well & theres no overlap I see no reason you can't carry that many mids. Something I think some people neglect is a truely under stable mid. Throwing a anny with a stable mid is shot every serious disc golfer should master but a turnover shot is just as important. A turnover shot works better than an anny in some situations (low ceilings ect.) & overall allows you to hit some lines you just can't with a anny. Everyone has a different bag building philosophies so just do what works best for you, as long as you have all the shots you need covered.

My mid setup
04 USDGC Champion Rancho Roc
(Worn) KC Roc
(Beat) DX Roc
(Very Beat) KC Roc

IMO you can go with 2-4 and be fine. i keep 4, i'll probably end up only using 3.

i find myself either using my gravity ghost or my light x comet on almost every mid shot. i could get through a round with just the gravity ghost fairly easily. as it beats in it just gets straighter and straighter, delaying the fade.

I've got 3 DX Rocs, 2 Champ Roc3, 1 Gator and I'm buying a McPro Roc3. They all do different things, so I see no reason to leave one of them out. Right now two of the Rocs are beat about the same, but I'm working on it!

However, I can put my mids out to about 325', which covers a lot of holes on my local course! Might be the reason for having 7 discs.. Only 3 molds tho..

I've seen people play with 6 different types of midranges, and I've seen people play with no midranges at all. Whatever works for you. Personally I always want 2 rocs (1 kc, 1 dx) and 2 comets (1 z, 1 x) in the bag. I carry a champ gator with me but don't find that I need it often, it's kind of a niche disc. I throw a roc or comet on probably over 50% of the holes I play locally.

I would say you only NEED 4 discs that fit these descriptions:

- Beefy over-stable slot with strong fade that wont flip over even in most headwinds
- Over-stable slot that holds straight longer before fading
- Neutral slot that can have a little turn or hold an anny most of the way
- Flippy under-stable slot that can flip from flat to a turnover and not fade back much if any

I agree with the 4 slots for most players. I on the other hand am ambidextrous and I use 5 discs for 3 slots:

beefy over-stable > (1) champ glow Gator
over-stable > (2) lucid Verdicts
nuetral > (2) moonshine Truths

I am more comfortable throwing LHBH than RHBH annys or RHFH, so I only carry stable or nuetral plastic.

Did try my new Gstar Skeeter last night. I found it as flippy as DX right out of the box @ 175. Not sure if it will find a permanent place in my bag over my champion skeeter that I only use by rocks, walkways or roads.
In the bag now:
1 dx skeeter
1 champion or G* Skeeter
1 roc3
1 dx gremlin
1 S gremlin
Also been on the fence with my Ti Buzzz.
Get ready to freak out and type like crazy. I do not use a putter. I have used the XD & Avair in the past & took them out to put skeeters in my putter pocket. I find the dx skeeter close to the XD & just putt with a dx skeeter.

I only have 2 fairway drivers now. 2013 ace race & a very stable Reaper.
Long Drivers- Wraiths, Surge SS, Avenger SS, pd freak.
o.k. let me have it.

Bag update
Buzzz is out
G* Skeeter is in
Also tried my 2012 Ace Race again and I like it. Not sure if it exactly a production Zombee. Goes dead straight. I would compare to a Rancho Roc or a Core

My only mid-range lately has been the Axis and I'm going to buy a Vector to have something more stable to pair the Axis. Sometimes I'd also like to have something a bit less stable than Axis for some shy anhyzer and turnover shots (Tangent?).. so for me 2-3 mid-ranges is enough!

I carry 7 rocs, if the hole is 350 or less i throw a roc.
Super OS: I disc up to my old dx banshee
Stable: Champ roc3 for straight with slight fade, another champ roc3 for straight with no fade, ching roc for low straight shots
US: Dx roc3 for a little turn and come back, flat top roc for b-line turn no fade, 11x roc for turn and burn

The rest of my bag consists of a panzer, 3 champ gazelles, 3 banshees, 2 vikings, a firebird and a krait. Putting with wardens.

I play mostly charlotte courses and most long holes are better to tee off with a midrange for accurate placement.

I carry 5 mids. Covers every stability and shot that I need on courses I play.

Very OS: Champ glow Gator (Spike hyzer, skip, sidearm, thumber, circus shots - favorite disc ever)
Stable/Straight: McPro Roc3 newish
Straight/US: KC Roc seasoned
US: KC Roc beat in so nicely

Mids:
DX Drifty Shark (US disc)
DX F2 Blue Shark (straight w/fade)
G Star Shark / Champ Shark3 (want to try these to compare w/the Gator)
DX Gator (meathook)

Other mids:
Classsic Truth (FH, Left Corners)
DX Cobra (more of a fairway for me)
DX Stingray (more of a fairway for me, ordered 2 different weights to compare differences w/the disc)

Puter:
DX Rhyno (I may also try the Rhyno out for the Gator spot, but need another plastic, not my putting putters)

Use as many discs are you are comfortable with. Whether it means cycling a couple of discs or having a mold for each shot. Whatever gets you your best scores.

I had four with me when I was using Ghosts, but I only seem to remember throwing 3 of them. I usually have 3 mids on me, or sometimes two.

3 Ghosts, or a King Cobra and two DX Cobras, or a Wasp and Comets, and I'm about to try Wasp with Fugitives. Vipers power down for the super OS stuff. So... Whatever you have to carry that makes you feel like you aren't missing things. I'm sure it's been said.

I use Z Buzzz's in a couple weights to cover those shots.

Latest posts