• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much is enough?

thirtydirtybirds

Double Eagle Member
So my wife and I are looking at buying a new house and as much property as well can reasonably afford to maintain. Currently that magic number looks like 12-15 acres as wooded as possible.

Clearly I will be cramming a friend's and family private 9 hole on there, maybe even with 2 tees per basket for a fun 18.

Just out of curiosity, how much land does 1 hole use? Is there some sort of general idea on acres per hole? I realize the individual plot of land is very influential in final layout, but I was just curious.

As you stated, theres a lot of factors that go into designing a course. General rule of thumb is 1 acre per hole. The more acreage you have the better because it will allow you to use the best aspects of the land verses having to use every inch.

You'd do well to read the "Executing the Dream" thread, maybe not in one sitting, because it's long, but it's got a lot of info.

I was in a similar position about 5 years ago and most of my story, warts and all, has been shared in that thread along with a lot of other folks in varying stages of "the dream".

There's another thread, entitled something like "mistakes and lessons learned", which will also help.

The more land, the better, of course, but if you're making a "friends and family" course, you can tolerate crossing fairways and multiple uses of the same basket, so you have lots more flexibility. I have a friend with a pretty cool course on about 5 acres, plus a little bit of neighboring land that he trespasses on.

Here's your math on how much does 1 hole use: 250' x 80' is about 1/2 acre. If you fit your holes into that space, that's 2 holes per acre.

Be careful when walking wooded land and making guesses. When you're in there, what feels like 250'+ is probably less than 200' or even 175'. I've started wooded holes and as things opened up realized that the design needed to be stretched out because what I thought was a nice 300' wooded hole before construction was really a pretty run of the mill 225' ace run. Then again, every mistake is an opportunity to learn, and I've learned a lot!

Google maps/google earth/local jurisdiction GIS maps are ridiculously helpful. Don't be afraid to start laying holes out on an aerial map, but also, don't get married to any specific holes.

I have 18 throw able holes on 10.84 acres. Yes there are birdie ops, and most of the holes are shorter than I would like. 2 crossing fairways (somewhat mitigated by elevation), and tight fairways. Shape and terrain have a lot to do with it. And planning. And changing plans. It is very arduous, but immensely gratifying as well. Keep us posted.

The more land, the better, of course, but if you're making a "friends and family" course, you can tolerate crossing fairways and multiple uses of the same basket, so you have lots more flexibility. I have a friend with a pretty cool course on about 5 acres, plus a little bit of neighboring land that he trespasses on.

I used to play a very fun 18 hole (13 baskets) course on a similar setup. It was fantastic as long as you limit action to one or two groups.

Yeah, IF it ends up happening, it's a private course for me. Barring parties where people want to play, I don't see there ever being more than 2-4 people out there. The good news for this idea is my wife really likes the house and land, so that's increasing my chances just a bit!

I don't know how much land they're using, but what's left of Brackett's Bluff is also a heck of a course, squeezed into a small area. Two overlapping 9-hole layouts to make 18 holes.

Well, 2 years in we've got 18* holes. So logic might say that a year from now we'll have the final 9 installed. So, lots more epicness to come, but as it stands, the first 18 holes will blow you away.

One of these days I have to get into Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Well, 2 years in we've got 18* holes. So logic might say that a year from now we'll have the final 9 installed. So, lots more epicness to come, but as it stands, the first 18 holes will blow you away.

How many people are involved in the project?

Latest posts