• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much power comes from the arm?

I'm sort of thread jacking here. But it ties into the topic for me. Because I think it's a source of frustration for a lot of players, especially the ones who put the work in and don't see results.
I have a hard time giving advice on how to "get" the hammer pound drills because I "got" them right away. I'd been on the verge of it for a while and the drills were the last piece of the puzzle. I know that with them you can't just do what you see in the videos over and over and hope that something will happen. You have to change things around until you do feel it. If you bring your wrist down too soon or too late you won't feel it. Just letting the disc pull your hand at first might give you enough feedback to tell when the pound should happen and then figuring out how to make that feeling stronger might help. Posting in the thread about it at DGR might get Blake's attention and he probably has a lot better advice about how to get it than I do.

i move around the disc from about 3 second mark to the 7 second mark the disc is in the same spot. i don't actually "reach back" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo-VAGr0xBU

Thats a great video you can see everything really well too. By the way great play this weekend....

What you're describing there is how he maximizes his snap. If you aren't getting any snap then trying to emulate all of that won't help. You need to figure out how to replicate the snap first and then all of differences between "Swedish" style (like GG) or "American" style (like Beto) will make more sense.

Yeah I suppose I need to try the hammer drill...I watched it when I first started and I didn't really get it and I never really looked at it again.

Is that the best way to get the snap?

Is that the best way to get the snap?
It's probably the easiest way to introduce yourself to snap. What you're trying to do is get the feel for manipulating the weight of the opposite edge of the disc. You'll know what I mean when you feel it. When I got that feel my focus changed from what was happening at my index finger to what the weight of the disc felt like at the hit. It's both an incredibly subtle difference and incredibly important concept.

It's probably the easiest way to introduce yourself to snap. What you're trying to do is get the feel for manipulating the weight of the opposite edge of the disc. You'll know what I mean when you feel it. When I got that feel my focus changed from what was happening at my index finger to what the weight of the disc felt like at the hit. It's both an incredibly subtle difference and incredibly important concept.

I tried it a bit last night and the first two were a bit odd with the fake grip. The sidearm grip and the real grip though seemed to be helpful. I'm still not sure I'm doing it right, though. I'll keep at it

What I have been working on though is what I'm calling the slow hit, or at least thats what I think it is. When I was out this weekend watching the pros I was trying to pay attention the their upshots because thats a part of my game that needs work. What I saw them doing was basically a truncated reachback with follow through and basically roll the disc out of the hand with a ton of spin on it and it would just go. I'm not sure I really explained that right but if you see them throw, or any better player, you know what I mean. Anyway I've been doing that and my upshots were instantly better. More distance, more distance control, more accuracy everything.

Last night I was thinking while practicing putts in the yard, but what they are really doing is just a slow motion throw and a slow hit at the end. When I do it slow I can really spin the back of the disc around and really feel what's going on. I even got a little too aggressive with it and hit my fence a couple times and threw one into neighbors yard once. It doesn't take much at all to get the disc to go. This may all sound totally obvious to all of you and now me even writing it it kinda does, but seeing that and doing that may have helped a lot.

So I'm thinking maybe it could be beneficial to go out the the field and practice slow, really concentrate on the hit at the end. So just work with putters say 20 feet or so, then some longer upshots. Slow steady and really get the spin at the end from swapping the ends of the disc not really worrying about anything else. Once your getting that, slowly add speed. Once that is good, throw 5 or 10 a little faster, then faster, then faster etc until you get up to a full speed throw, by that time you should really be feeling the hit and the disc should be going. I really think it could work. To the point I'm almost thinking about starting a new thread about it.

Does anybody do this? Seems like it should be such a simple concept but I've never seen any instruction that suggested this....unless I've got it all wrong...

I tried it a bit last night and the first two were a bit odd with the fake grip. The sidearm grip and the real grip though seemed to be helpful. I'm still not sure I'm doing it right, though. I'll keep at it
The drills are in the order they are in for a reason. They build on one another. The first couple won't actually translate to any sort of movement in your backhand throw, but they make it way easier to feel what it's like to manipulate the weight of the disc. One way I can describe it is that at first it feels like you're pulling the weight and then it catches up at the hit. If the disc rips from your hand at the same time that it catches up it's a half hit. If you can sling the disc harder from that point on then you can get a full hit. You'll probably be surprised at how late it all happens.

So I'm thinking maybe it could be beneficial to go out the the field and practice slow, really concentrate on the hit at the end. So just work with putters say 20 feet or so, then some longer upshots.
That may be too slow. Going slow to get the feel of the hit is a really good idea, but I can't imagine getting any sort of snap and throwing less than even 100' maybe more. At 20' your hit will be so gimped that it won't really be a hit at all. It sounds like you're on the right track now, though. Your observations make it seem like you're looking at the right part of the throw.

The drills are in the order they are in for a reason. They build on one another. The first couple won't actually translate to any sort of movement in your backhand throw, but they make it way easier to feel what it's like to manipulate the weight of the disc. One way I can describe it is that at first it feels like you're pulling the weight and then it catches up at the hit. If the disc rips from your hand at the same time that it catches up it's a half hit. If you can sling the disc harder from that point on then you can get a full hit. You'll probably be surprised at how late it all happens.

That may be too slow. Going slow to get the feel of the hit is a really good idea, but I can't imagine getting any sort of snap and throwing less than even 100' maybe more. At 20' your hit will be so gimped that it won't really be a hit at all. It sounds like you're on the right track now, though. Your observations make it seem like you're looking at the right part of the throw.

Ill work on the drills, I think Im snapping too early and that may be why it feels odd....

As for the other thing, it just starts slow, just to get the feel for the disc turning and coming out. I'll give it a try and see what works and what doesn't and report back. I do have leagues tonight though so I probably won't be able to work on it as much as i'd like to. Maybe Ill sneak out at lunch and throw a few to at least see

Latest posts