• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to become sponsored?

ZDotHalbach

Eagle Member
Alright so I know that everyone and their brother wants to become a sponsored disc golfer by one of the big names in the industry or even a local company but what I what to know is how to go about approaching a sponsorship. Do you let your game do all of the talking? Do you ask around? Do you have to know the right people? I am aware that I may not be sponsored player material but I am curious to see what it takes. If you are a sponsored player please share how you became to be one.

Thanks!

I asked Millennium for sponsorship info and they pretty much gave me this info (paraphrasing here)

You don't have to be 1100 rated to get sponsored. Disc Golf is about spreading good vibes and expanding the sport. Hold a few tourneys, get some school programs started, get city funding, etc etc.. you are on your way to getting sponsored.

I'll copy and paste what I wrote in the thread BigSky linked...

What you have to do is make yourself stand out and act as a great ambassador to the sport and the company. One of the key things I did was expand DGCR's directory tremendously by adding over 100 courses in Europe, I got a course installed in my city (Ulm, Germany), I played tons of non-PDGA tournaments, and most importantly had a good attitude. Don't be afraid to ask for one! If I hadn't brought it up with the owner of Crosslap, I don't think he would have ever even considered it.

I'll copy and paste what I wrote in the thread BigSky linked...

^This

I am not currently sponsored for various personal reasons. But I have gotten several offers, some from big name companies.

First, obviously I travel a lot and I play a lot of tournaments all around the country, people know who I am everywhere, and that gets noticed. Now I'm not saying you have to travel the country, but making an appearance at tournaments in different regions, especially but not limited to tourneys sponsored by your target company.

Secondly. Let yourself be known, introduce yourself to people, players, TD's, volunteers, thank them for the work they've done, be genuinely friendly.

Support the sport in a positive way: introduce new players, teach new players, return plastic, little things will be noticed. Be helpful, ask if the TD needs help, either setting up beforehand or tearing down after everyone else has gone. Fire up a grill and cook hot dogs for the lunch break. Volunteer for events, run a league, develop a program that spreads the DG word to children, etc. Word spreads about the positive roll model you are - the DG community is very small. Likewise, people will notice if you're a dick.

Sponsorship opportunities will find you.

Have a mean game, fill your bag with you ideal sponsors discs, prove yourself by placing well in tourneys, and start communicating . I assume this would be a good start

Dont beg, its real annoying. Its all about how you present yourself and what you can bring to a company. Having game always helps but its not a necessity.

Dont beg, its real annoying. Its all about how you present yourself and what you can bring to a company. Having game always helps but its not a necessity.

I can definitely see how begging would get annoying. I'm sure the pandas have a lot of that because everyone is dying to be a member of the coolest team in Wisconsin! I will just keep playing tournaments and if a sponsorship comes along from somewhere that's great! If not I'm still playing the game I love.

Have a good season. Travel a little bit outside of your local area and get wins at A-tiers.

the disc manufacturers will know. They keep track of this stuff. Do your best to get noticed. Be a good player. Play a lot of events. Make friends with sponsored players.

Just play events and have fun. Practice and get better.. Keep your day job and or get a day job. Dont stop having fun because your trying to push yourself (myself included).