• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to get ready for future Distance Competitions

SearchingForDistance

Birdie Member
(1). First of all do a lot of body weight training (mostly pushups and explosive cardio).

(2). Do a lot of Studying. It's important to know how you should throw and which Lines to train for to be able to get Discs on sertain Distance throwing lines to catch the Wind best and get a good amount of Glide.

(3). Distance has a lot to do with Speed and Weight Transfer. Train the motion of the throw to achive more and more speed which will put more Force into the disc at Release (if done correctly).

(4). The throw(er) has 4 important Aspects to get right when going for Maximum Distance.

*Forward Momentum (The Force That Your Whole Body Generates During the Runup "Mass times Acceleration=Force")

*Weight Transfer (To be able to Direct as much of ^that Force^ to reach the Disc and be in affect at the exact Time of release)

*Distance Lines (To hit the exact line intended for the disc to Perform at its best and get the most possible glide effect from the Right Usage of the Current Wind)

*Disc Selection ( To throw the Best disc possible for Maximum Distance)

(1).A Highspeed Driver (To be able to Cut the Wind and get to the "Top" as Fast as Possible Without Losing Speed)

(2).Understable -2 to -3 (To be able to hold a Steady Anhyzer for a Long Time to Expose the Botton of the disc to the Wind Longer and get a Greater Glide on the Wind.

(3).Fade 0 to 2 (A slow fade to not cut the Glide effect to early)

(4).Glide 5+ (A High Glide Rating to get some Extra Disc Glide on the Wind Glide)

(5). Weight 130g to 170g ( Lower weight for greater glide on the wind and heavier for headwinds or Raw Distance) Try to find the perfect balance between Glide and Speed Sustainability.

I think Raw Distance would be best with 160g+ discs Because they conquer the wind much better. The bad thing about heavier discs is that they need more force per gram*(Basicly you need to throw them with greater speed and greater body weight transfer) to hold the same distance lines as long as lighter discs because they*(the heavier discs) don't have as much glide/lift.

Why push-ups?

If you're out on the course training or outside then varying pushups, varying situps and short highspeed sprints are a good way to increase overall strength and speed.

Something else I do personaly is Superset Training with dumbells (light to moderate weights) only on days I don't play discgolf to increase stamina and power. A week after beginning doing supersets I mostly putt more consistently and I can stay focused for longer periods of time.

Why push-ups?

So you can disc golf with the shirt off, of course! :D

I would think to balance back work. When working one set of muscles it's important to work the opposing muscles too (though the back isn't the MOST important unless I'm missing something). Of course, no back work is mentioned so maybe... I dunno...

I would think to balance back work. When working one set of muscles it's important to work the opposing muscles too (though the back isn't the MOST important unless I'm missing something). Of course, no back work is mentioned so maybe... I dunno...

It is important to work the whole body. A good way to train could be to train arms and back on one day and then core and legs the next day. To mix it up you could do Distance training the day after or just play a couple of rounds of discgolf every day in between and then have one day to rest the body.

You wanna get in shape for disc golf? Start Olympic lifting. Do snatches, clean&jerks, and supplemental lifts such as front squats and high pulls... Catalystathletics.com is a good starting point! Push-ups don't have the skill transfer that you're looking for...

I do powerlifting primarily following HIT principles off and on, and while I certainly get the benefits of increased strength and stamina overall, I never felt like this played a very big role in my distance capabilities. The only thing I feel it contributes towards significantly when it comes to DG is how much more easily I stay mentally focused after a day full of rounds. I've never been out of shape though, so for someone who is, they'd probably see much more benefit.

The rest I pretty much agree with though, I was just wondering why push-ups themselves were specifically mentioned when pecs and tri's play such a minor role in acheiving a good hit.

Powerlifting is good for strength... Oly lifting is good for power! You probably don't realize how much your lifting has helped Mike! You should try moving towards the oly lifts! There is a reason they are the base of most sports performance training!

any half-decent routine for an out of shape person will help them avoid fatigue and aid in their core strength through the power zone, push and weight transfer by nature of improving your body. as long as you keep mobile and flexible, anyway.

i agree with mike for the most part. shoulders i could see. definitely shoulders once your arm needs to travel through the hit.

i feel lifting should be left off this list for now. it's cool to have a "how to" but honestly unless there's some formal education behind it, perhaps it would best to keep it to throwing technique and disc selection, etc, the importance of distance lines and the science behind them.

not trying to dog on you. i did a lot of lifting; starting again after about a year off, myself.

Last edited:
(1). First of all do a lot of body weight training (mostly pushups and explosive cardio).

(2). Do a lot of Studying. It's important to know how you should throw and which Lines to train for to be able to get Discs on sertain Distance throwing lines to catch the Wind best and get a good amount of Glide.

(3). Distance has a lot to do with Speed and Weight Transfer. Train the motion of the throw to achive more and more speed which will put more Force into the disc at Release (if done correctly).

(4). The throw(er) has 4 important Aspects to get right when going for Maximum Distance.

*Forward Momentum (The Force That Your Whole Body Generates During the Runup "Mass times Acceleration=Force")

*Weight Transfer (To be able to Direct as much of ^that Force^ to reach the Disc and be in affect at the exact Time of release)

*Distance Lines (To hit the exact line intended for the disc to Perform at its best and get the most possible glide effect from the Right Usage of the Current Wind)

*Disc Selection ( To throw the Best disc possible for Maximum Distance)

(1).A Highspeed Driver (To be able to Cut the Wind and get to the "Top" as Fast as Possible Without Losing Speed)

(2).Understable -2 to -3 (To be able to hold a Steady Anhyzer for a Long Time to Expose the Botton of the disc to the Wind Longer and get a Greater Glide on the Wind.

(3).Fade 0 to 2 (A slow fade to not cut the Glide effect to early)

(4).Glide 5+ (A High Glide Rating to get some Extra Disc Glide on the Wind Glide)

(5). Weight 130g to 170g ( Lower weight for greater glide on the wind and heavier for headwinds or Raw Distance) Try to find the perfect balance between Glide and Speed Sustainability.

What I do alot is that I visualize myself being able to copy or re-create the Distance throwing (or any other) form that I see, and that will trigger my brain to create a "fake" muscle puzzle memory to remember how I should perform the motions step by step, and that will also make me learn how to throw the same kind of throws that I want to perform faster, and get the muscles to remember the coordination of the throw faster.

It's like if I see something I can picture myself doing it and that will make me learn how to do it faster. I have it very easy to learn body coordination and when I was younger I had it quite easy when it came to dancing.

When I started to play discgolf I watched David Feldberg and Avery Jenkins a lot and those were my throwing styles for a while before I started to tweak my form even more (and get my own style).

Here is a vid that describes the Distance throw very good and also some tips in there too.

I was lucky enough to be partnered with Jeff Stoops in dubs a few weeks after the most recent distance competition. I asked him what sort of physical training he does to prep for a distance comp, and he told me he does a lot of exercises focusing on tightening up the core. He explained with better core strength you're able to more successfully transfer power generated by your legs into the throw.

Push-ups with a narrow grip (hands next to each other) train your triceps, and it's one of the most important muscles in a backhand throw, am I right? It's interesting that guys like Will or Lizotte seem not to have lots of muscle but they still throw really far. Here's a video where Lizotte shows some arm speed.. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO2RQj-L7gg

I find bicycling improves my distance in the summer. When I put some time in on my bike I can pick up another 20ft on average. Probably has to do with strengthening my core and leg muscles.

Grip strength is the second area that I see create distance on the course. Squeezing the disc and letting it know you mean business can generate some serious disc speed when trying to get them out of your hand fast.

I don't do any upper body work outside of work but I carry boxes of nuts and bolts that weigh 50+ pounds everyday. I have talked with a couple pros and most agree that distance comes from the core and legs.

Source: I can throw 375'-400' regularly on the course with SOLFs.

Latest posts