• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to put a weekly competition together...

Austinn

Hey there, so I'm wanting to put together something in the area I live in for the fall but need some pointers. I wanna do a weekly Saturday, doubles event, cost $5 including $1 ace pot. I live in Newberg Oregon and was thinking Hoover park which has the possibility to flood when it rains a lot which could be a problem but I find it as the best option. Does anyone have any pointers on how to make it a success? Is this something worth trying? Thanks for the help!

The most important thing is to consistently be there every week, whether anyone else shows up or not. Oh and have fun.

Convince a couple of your friends to come to the first few weeklies to help bump start the event to success. If other people see that other people are playing in it, they will want to play too.

Pay Out Well. Our club takes a dollar from every entrant for the club account, but everything else gets paid out. We routinely have the winner of our monthly (singles) get $100 for first and we pay out a 1/3 of the field. The winners of our weekly dubs routinely get 40-50 bucks to split. When people see that there might be a nice pay day involved, even for 2nd place, they will come.

Post it to facebook. Post pictures of everyone who came to show others that people are coming (especially if you get a large group) and post a picture of the winners with their winnings. Post the prize earnings and publicly challenge people to see who can be the "king of Hoover" next week.

Do a club throw. If you have some extra plastic laying around (old club discs, tourney prizes, extra stock at home), have a club throw at some point, with CTP winning the prize.

And, like Bikinjack said, show up every week on time and be ready to have some fun.

DSCJNKY

Last edited:
Convince a couple of your friends to come to the first few weeklies to help bump start the event to success. If other people see that other people are playing in it, they will want to play too.

Pay Out Well. Our club takes a dollar from every entrant for the club account, but everything else gets paid out. We routinely have the winner of our monthly (singles) get $100 for first and we pay out a 1/3 of the field. The winners of our weekly dubs routinely get 40-50 bucks to split. When people see that there might be a nice pay day involved, even for 2nd place, they will come.

Post it to facebook. Post pictures of everyone who came to show others that people are coming (especially if you get a large group) and post a picture of the winners with their winnings. Post the prize earnings and publicly challenge people to see who can be the "king of Hoover" next week.

Do a club throw. If you have some extra plastic laying around (old club discs, tourney prizes, extra stock at home), have a club throw at some point, with CTP winning the prize.

And, like Bikinjack said, show up every week on time and be ready to have some fun.

DSCJNKY

This is a ton of help! Thank you! Now, is $5 enough for a good payout in doubles? I guess it kinda depends how many show up right? And what do you do with the dollar that you take for the club? Is this to buy extra prizes or a fee for putting everything together?

Our club funds wherever projects we're working on through the money we get from running leagues and also from disc sales. Some of our current projects are the re-opening of one course and the design and building of a new course.

This is a ton of help! Thank you! Now, is $5 enough for a good payout in doubles? I guess it kinda depends how many show up right? And what do you do with the dollar that you take for the club? Is this to buy extra prizes or a fee for putting everything together?

Our local doubles league has a $5 per player charge and it works out well. I've only played once (I prefer tag league) and didn't win so I can't say for certain, but I believe $1 goes to the course and $2 to each of the winners. 10 teams gives a $40 payout for each winner which isn't too hard to do. Even a 5 team round gives a 20% chance of a 4x payout which is food enough to get folks to show up. If you want to add more fun to it, have an optional CTP for a random par 3 hole where every team can pitch in an optional $2 more with the winning team taking the extra pot.

I started running a weekly, year round, random draw-best shot doubles, league. I just continued the same fees from our local club. $7 buy in $5 cash payout to the winners, they split. $1 Ace Fund-optional, $1 course maint. fund. You can find the payout chart under Leagues/ Tournament at ouhr Uniins site at TheHDGU.com. If you have a local club see if they will add it to their schedule. If someone gets hit with a disc and you are running an event they may file a law suit agaisnt you. We MUST carry a 1 millon insurance policy, about $450 a year, To Host tounaments at the local public park. Hope that helps!

If someone gets hit with a disc and you are running an event they may file a law suit agaisnt you. We MUST carry a 1 millon insurance policy, about $450 a year, To Host tounaments at the local public park. Hope that helps!

O dang!!! What about having people sign waivers saying everything is their fault? Or would it just depend on what the parks and rec want?

O dang!!! What about having people sign waivers saying everything is their fault? Or would it just depend on what the parks and rec want?
Whatever the parks require. And YOU are willing to deal with, from a money stand pointe.

The doubles league that I've played in costs $7. $1 goes to the club and $1 goes to the ace pot. The 1st place team usually gets around 40 bucks. After the round we do a CTP that costs $1, winner takes all the money.

Those waivers may discourage someone from suing you in the first place, but at the end of the day don't really do much in court if you do get sued.

If you are worried about liability (which isn't a bad thing to be careful of), run it under the umbrella of an officially registered non-profit club. They aren't hard to form. If you are running it as a club, then (in most jurisdictions) only the club can get sued if someone gets hurt. If you are running it as an individual, you can get sued.

Note that I am not a lawyer, and different jurisdictions have different laws. My information just comes from buying a lawyer buddy some beers to pick his brain when I first started a disc golf club.