• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How wooded do we like it?

As an overall concept when designing a course on hilly property, I like to go uphill with par 4s and 5s and have more par 3s in the downhill direction. That way, you can get more downhill than uphill holes in the layout. Players just remember that it's an uphill hole whether short or long so might as well pack a lot of the uphill fairways into fewer holes. Holes 10 & 18 on Granite and 14 at HSSA are examples packing a lot of upward elevation in one hole.
Very interesting. Never really thought about Par 5's in that light, but now that you mention it,#17 at Iron Hill is an awesome par 5 and all uphill. Not to hijack the thread,but I'd love to get some more discussion about designing quality par 5's.

That's very true. The 9 hole course, Eagle Creek, in Clayton, GA is almost complete. Because Clayton is in the most NE county in Georgia and is considered the mountains, players from Atlanta will probably expect a mountain course with a lot of elevation change. When they arrive for the first time at the course they will learn it is on the flatest piece of land in the area. At least there are mountain views in every direction.

Kind of like Bijou in Tahoe.

Note that for those over 40, the definition of a good throw on sunny days is one that lands in the shade where available.

Back the late 80's We'd be playing with Royce Racinowski and he'd park a shot right under the only tree in the fairway, turn around and say, "Played it like a Master."

Note that for those over 40, the definition of a good throw on sunny days is one that lands in the shade where available.

Back the late 80's We'd be playing with Royce Racinowski and he'd park a shot right under the only tree in the fairway, turn around and say, "Played it like a Master."

(I like the sun though ;) )

Latest posts