• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

wolfhaley to KC and back

wolfhaley

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Alright, I finally finished booking/planning my last big trip of the year for mid September. Heading down to KC area then meandering my way back up through NE, SD and MN. Any insights, suggestions, whatever welcomed. :p

Sept 10th to Des Moines IA.
Stewartville high school- (9)
Prairie DGC- (9)
Firebird DGC- (9)
Centennial Park- (9)

Random 9's to break up the 6 hour drive down to Des Moines. Bagger things, but positioning mostly.

Sept 11th to Liberty MO.
Pickard Park- (18)
Lawson Lake- (18)
Jesse James DGC- (18)

Sept. 12th Liberty MO
Paradise Pointe-Blackthorn- (18)
Paradise Pointe-Beaver Creek- (18)
Paradise Pointe-Woodhenge- (18)
Camp Branch DGC- (9)

Sept 13th Liberty MO
Water Works Park- (18)
Hobby Hill DGC- (18)
Fox Hill Fliers- (18)
Bad Rock Creek DGC- (18)

Sept 14th to Olathe KS
Blue Valley Park- (18)
Rosedale Park-Down Under- (18)
Rosedale Park-Top- (18)
Shawnee Mission Park DGC- (18)

Sept 15th to Maryville MO
Heritage Park- (18)
Lakeside Hills (Birdland)- (18)
Cedar Ridge DGC- (18)
Longview DGC- (18)

Sept 16th to Fremont NE
Seymour Smith Park- (18)
Treasure Cove DGC- (18)
Hummel Park- (18)

Sept 17th to Yankton SD
TaHaZouka Park (River Run DGC)- (19)
Skyview Park DGC- (18)
Willow Creek State Rec. Area- (9)
Band Shell Park- (9)
Gladstone Park- (9)

Sept 18th to Jackson MN
Gavin's Point DGC- (18)
Cottonwood Park DGC- (9)
Pierson Ranch Rec. Area- (9)
Fantle Memorial Park- (9)
Screamin' Eagle DGC- (9)
Tornado Alley DGC- (9)

Sept 19th to Minneapolis MN
Cedar Creek- West- (18)
Cedar Creek- East- (18)
Cedar Creek- Central- (18)

All with elmex here :hfive:

Sept 20th to home
Bryant Lake Park- (18)
Rosland Park- (9)
Taft Park- (5)
First Calvary Baptist Church- (9)
New Life Academy- (9)

Will add 2 more states, play some long wishlisted courses as well as highly rated ones and bag a bunch in general. I'll add the top rated course in KS too. Looking forward to this one.

On your way from KC to Maryville, play Bartlett in Saint Joseph. I'll meet you there and show you how to shoot +2 :|

Actually possibly maybe be able to catch you in Kc or Smithville.

Last edited:
On your way from KC to Maryville, play Bartlett in Saint Joseph. I'll meet you there and show you how to shoot +2 :|

Actually possibly maybe be able to catch you in Kc or Smithville.

I'll hit you up when it gets closer for sure. Not sure I'll be able to add a 5th 18 holer that day though. We don't have the hills up here that you guys have down there 😁

You're going to like Hummel. That was a surprising treat when I swung through and played it.

I thought Water Works was just ok...get there super early if you can, as it'll get crazy busy. I was there at 7am and by the time I was done with the round, the place was absolutely packed.

You're going to like Hummel. That was a surprising treat when I swung through and played it.

I thought Water Works was just ok...get there super early if you can, as it'll get crazy busy. I was there at 7am and by the time I was done with the round, the place was absolutely packed.

Yeah, I've only heard great things about Hummel. Looking forward to that one.

Water works will definitely be the first one of the day for that very reason. I'm honestly not expecting it to amaze me, but I'd like to check it off the list for sure.

I enjoyed Water Works, Bad Rock Creek, and Rosedale - Top (didn't get a chance to play Down Under).

William Jewell was a nice 9-hole warmup near Bad Rock Creek, but looks like it is in rough condition these days. :\

Otherwise, you'll be playing a bunch of courses on my list, so I look forward to your opinion on them. :)

I enjoyed Water Works, Bad Rock Creek, and Rosedale - Top (didn't get a chance to play Down Under).

William Jewell was a nice 9-hole warmup near Bad Rock Creek, but looks like it is in rough condition these days. :\

Otherwise, you'll be playing a bunch of courses on my list, so I look forward to your opinion on them. :)

I will look into William Jewell on your recommendation. Overgrown has never detered me before. Won't start now. Great suggestion, and exactly why I posted this thread. Much appreciated, and from a great source :thmbup:

Just curious but what courses do you have wishlisted that I may be playing? I can PM you what I thought about them if I don't manage to review them. But I'll obviously review what I can. Hope all is well on your end too :thmbup:

Pickard Park- (18)
Lakeside Hills (Birdland)- (18)
Cedar Ridge DGC- (18)
Longview DGC- (18)
Seymour Smith Park- (18)
Treasure Cove DGC- (18)
Hummel Park- (18)
Cedar Creek- West- (18)
Cedar Creek- East- (18)
Cedar Creek- Central- (18)
Bryant Lake Park- (18)

^ Overlap between your itinerary and my current wish list. As an east-coaster, my list is concentrated on the main east-west corridors.

Probably also fair to point out that my wish list contains 100 more courses than my played list at this point. :rolleyes:

Just curious but what courses do you have wishlisted that I may be playing?

See above.

I can PM you what I thought about them if I don't manage to review them. But I'll obviously review what I can. Hope all is well on your end too :thmbup:

No need for a full review or PM for my sake, just enjoy yourselves.

That said, it would be great if you feel like posting a your favorites or disappointments here or elsewhere. I and others would surely appreciate it.

Have a great trip!

I will look into William Jewell on your recommendation. Overgrown has never detered me before. Won't start now. Great suggestion, and exactly why I posted this thread. Much appreciated, and from a great source :thmbup:

When we played it a few months back hole 9 basket was missing due to some construction. On a campus and plays around ballfields in places so wasnt crazy overgrown. But it did have lots of muddy areas so beware if it rains during your trip.

I thought Wilber Young was pretty fun when I played it last time I was in town. On the east side, played it on the way to the excellent campground near Smithville.

Hey you're about to depart! Hoping you have good times on the the road. I've been to KC maybe 4 times now to play dg, and I don't think you will be disappointed. I've had great times in Smithville, and Liberty area and am a fan of Waterworks. Great park like course with sweet elevation and neat views. Roseville down under I remember being short super fun tight lines... Blue Valley I think is a gem. A monster of a course and likewise the hike but completely worth it. Doesn't suit my game of 300ish drives but I was happy to throw there.

oh absolutely

i was thinkin if you made good time at cedar creek you could pop into maiden shade on your way up to the tc

I played Maiden Shade for the first time last September and while a fun (and recommended) track the mosquitos were out of control. Like barely stop to throw your next shot while whipping your towel around your head. One of my fastest played rounds (at least through the woods holes). This year has been drier so maybe not so bad.

Oh and I See Hobby Hill is on your list. Shorty but fun, with some great surprises towards the end. (If I haven't made it clear, I'm a fan of elevation)...

Sorry just one more comment, Pickard is a haul. I know you have done your research but that course is a beast. I was fortunate to play with some locals when I was there 2013ish. It has definitely changed since based on coverage, still looks like a great park worth visiting.