• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hucker Magazine

I got my first copy of the magazine about 10 days ago but still no shirt even though it's been well over a month since the order was placed.

It would be nice if someone that has gotten the magazine can review the content and articles in it for us. I would like to know if it is entertaining, informational, good pictures, and worth the subscription. So if you got it please let us know what you think of it.

Exactly. That's why I wanna know if it is even any good. I can definitely see something like this being flashy with little substance. I hope that's not the case, though.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly constitutes "flashy with little substance" writing in The Mad, Mad World of disc golf journalism? Examples?

Well I wrote and edited a good chunk of it, and I can tell you there is quite a bit of substance. The second issue will be very good as well, though I likely wont be doing any editing for that. I actually have not recieved my copy either, so I cant speak of the layout or any of that, but I can honestly say the first issue of Hucker is much more informative, engaging and substantive than any given issue of Disc Golfer.

I think everyone will be more than satisifed with the final product, if not the timeframe of delivery.

It would be nice if someone that has gotten the magazine can review the content and articles in it for us. I would like to know if it is entertaining, informational, good pictures, and worth the subscription. So if you got it please let us know what you think of it.
would be nice if somebody that has gotten the magazine would jump into 2014 and scan & upload so the rest of the civilized world can actually see this content.

you know... we need to 'grow the sport' and all that jazz.

would be nice if somebody that has gotten the magazine would jump into 2014 and scan & upload so the rest of the civilized world can actually see this content.

you know... we need to 'grow the sport' and all that jazz.

Not that it effects me income-wise, as I work on a non-monetary payment from Hucker, but that is highly illegal.

Just saying.

Not that it effects me income-wise, as I work on a non-monetary payment from Hucker, but that is highly illegal.

Just saying.
illegal or not... it gets more eyes on their advertisers messages.

more eyes on the product = more ad revenue. subscriptions should supplement ad revenue, not the other way around.

not to mention the fact that they might actually pick up some extra subs now that people can actually SEE the product they are purchasing. most people aren't silly/foolish enough to throw money at unproven products.

illegal or not... it gets more eyes on their advertisers messages.

more eyes on the product = more ad revenue. subscriptions should supplement ad revenue, not the other way around.

not to mention the fact that they might actually pick up some extra subs now that people can actually SEE the product they are purchasing. most people aren't silly/foolish enough to throw money at unproven products.

If the guys who produce the magazine want to post it online, that should be their decision. Someone else scanning it and posting it is unacceptable, and rationalizing such an action by saying that you're "helping" them is ridiculous.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly constitutes "flashy with little substance" writing in The Mad, Mad World of disc golf journalism? Examples?

Basically, is it all photos and Q&As, or are there in-depth, well-written articles with multiple sources? I could point to examples, but suffice to say that anyone can email someone some questions and print it as a Q&A. It takes a lot more skill and effort to turn it into a full article.

If the guys who produce the magazine want to post it online, that should be their decision. Someone else scanning it and posting it is unacceptable, and rationalizing such an action by saying that you're "helping" them is ridiculous.
eh. your opinion. thanks for sharing. its a bit outdated (IMO).

i don't think its unacceptable at all. piracy - in its own strange way - is being proven to actually HELP content creators. either people NEVER see your content... or they see it for free and possibly end up supporting you and your advertisers in the future (See: G.O.T. DVD/Blue-ray sales despite being the most pirated content in the history of the internet).

the first option equals zero extra money - end of story. the second may equal zero but, at least, has a chance to turn into something more.

pretty easy decision for anybody that understands how the media industry is trending.

I bought a copy of Hucker today straight out of the publisher's hands. It was better than I imagined it would be, with nice thick paper and good photography. Feldberg's "Professor" article goes pretty in depth, and there are other good articles too. I do wish there were some Maxim-style articles with hot babe disc golfer chicks, but maybe that'll happen in future editions :)

The publisher said he doesn't check DGCR, but does read Facebook, so the best way to contact Hucker if you didn't get your shirt or magazine is through their FB page at:

https://www.facebook.com/huckermagazine

I also got permission straight from Hucker to post a few photos here at DGCR of the actual magazine for the curious, so here ya go:

hucker1-1024x764.jpg

Last one

hucker3-1024x764.jpg

Note: these photos from my poor iPhone kinda look a little blurry/have light reflecting off the pages...the actual magazine is not blurry :)

eh. your opinion. thanks for sharing. its a bit outdated (IMO).

i don't think its unacceptable at all. piracy - in its own strange way - is being proven to actually HELP content creators. either people NEVER see your content... or they see it for free and possibly end up supporting you and your advertisers in the future (See: G.O.T. DVD/Blue-ray sales despite being the most pirated content in the history of the internet).

the first option equals zero extra money - end of story. the second may equal zero but, at least, has a chance to turn into something more.

pretty easy decision for anybody that understands how the media industry is trending.

Look, if you're curious about the magazine, which you clearly are, stop being cheap and drop the $25 for a subscription already :doh:

Latest posts