• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hucker Magazine

I much prefer printed paper mags. over reading my screen.

Ditto. I stare at my screen all day, and I can't hand a PDF or something electronic to a friend who might be interested in disc golf.

And my package was dropped off at the post office on the 26th. :p After I'd emailed about it.

I much prefer printed paper mags. over reading my screen.

Wasn't what I was saying.

Being an ad major/working in marketing changes the way I look at different mediums. I was just saying print is a waste of money if you aren't running a lot of ads, I should have been more clear. Would be cool if sponsors lined up for a disc golf magazine, but they don't, and the internet is a million times easier / cheaper.

And yes, you can hand your friend a pdf with a handy device called a phone. Get an obama phone if you can't afford one~

And yes, you can hand your friend a pdf with a handy device called a phone. Get an obama phone if you can't afford one~

Nope. Not the same. Could be a kid, could be a guy without a smart phone, could be all sorts of things. Physical books and magazines are easier to pass around.

I own and have owned plenty of smart phones.

Nope. Not the same. Could be a kid, could be a guy without a smart phone, could be all sorts of things. Physical books and magazines are easier to pass around.

I own and have owned plenty of smart phones.

Apples and Oranges. I am talking about how for a business, print doesn't make sense anymore and you are going on about 'I prefer magazines.' Well, that's cool, lots of people do-- doesn't make anything I said less true.

And it's actually very debatable that things are much easier to pass around via the internet unless you're living in 1990~

i am also in the prefer print to pdf camp

i would rather have something physical in my hand than stare at a tablet, phone or computer all the time
it's so much easier on my eyes

yes, from a financial perspective it is cheaper and easier to make something digital, doesn't mean i have to like it

all of our daily electronic devices are slowly sucking our souls

Apples and Oranges.

Then don't quote respond to me to talk about Apples if I'm talking about Oranges.

Print still makes sense for some businesses, and many consumers still prefer printed products. I've got a Kindle, but depending on the book, sometimes I prefer to buy the book (even if it costs more!).

And it's actually very debatable that things are much easier to pass around via the internet unless you're living in 1990~

:doh:

i would rather have something physical in my hand than stare at a tablet, phone or computer all the time

Don't tell some people that, they'll act like you're a technophobe.

I got my shirt and poster today. I promptly recycled the poster. The shirt seems nice.

It wasn't shipped until December 26th, despite ordering it on November 28th. So that concludes that. At least they shipped it.

It remains to be seen how the magazine actually turns out.

Shroom, what's your role?

i am also in the prefer print to pdf camp

yes, from a financial perspective it is cheaper and easier to make something digital, doesn't mean i have to like it

all of our daily electronic devices are slowly sucking our souls

Amen brotha.

According to website and Facebook, the first issue should be shipping this week.

I was going to subscribe, but I don't want to use Pay Pal, and they don't offer any other options as far as I can tell. I contacted them to see if there is another way, so we'll see what they say.

Any I prefer print, especially since I'll be flying next weekend and don't have fancy gadgets besides my smart phone.

I wonder if they are gonna sell individual copies on the site? I only saw where you can subscribe on their store page.

I only got one of the two shirts I ordered, even after they supposedly sent the second.

So I'll be curious to see whether both subscriptions arrive.

There didn't seem to be a lot of information on the magazine, so I thought I'd provide the little that I have. Emphasis on "little."

As someone detective-ed out earlier in the thread, Hucker is run by Phillip Murray. Phillip's a local here, so I've run into him on the course a few times. I also got to chat him up a bit about the magazine a few weeks ago at a small tourney co-sponsored by Hucker and UB Disc Golf.

From what I can tell, Hucker and UB are associated mostly informally. The respective owners seem to be friends. I'm not sure if there are any formal associations between the two organizations. As mentioned, Phillip is on UB's team, and thus promotes them personally, but I haven't gotten any sense the Hucker is intended to be a mouthpiece for UB.

Phillip said they'd been talking about starting up the magazine since the fall, and decided to take the initiative. We didn't get into any nitty-gritty details, but he certainly seemed to have a level head about himself in terms of the planning stages and the challenges of the undertaking. We'll see if they last, but, I came away from our conversation feeling better about their prospects than I did going into it. That's a pretty intangible endorsement, so take it for what it's worth.

I'll see if I can tease up some more information around here for y'all.

I wonder when this mag is gonna ship? They don't seem to be replying to inquiries on their Facebook page.

I got my shirt a while back, so at least I got something for my $15!

I paid for my subscription on December 27th and have received 'ZIP', 'Nothing', 'Nada'.

Anyone else in my shoes?

I think the tee shirt was added as a Black Friday special....so yeah, I paid back in November!

Seems like you all got duped. I think they are scrambling to make something happen judging from their last post. At least that's what I would be doing. It's not good to retake everyone's money and then not deliver. They said the magazine's and shirts would be Delivered late February. Now I'm not sure, but I think it's coming up on mid March here.

I like how they responded to mostly everyone on their FB site up til about 3 weeks ago and then POOF, nothing. They could've posted weeks ago that there would be a delay, at least have that kind of decency. Even if they do deliver it within the next few weeks I probably won't be renewing for the next year. Who am I kidding though, they probably won't be around my then. I'm just lucky enough to be one of the fortunate ones who got their t-shirt and poster. At least I got that, right? On a serious note though it kind of sucks we don't have a solid DG mag. The one with the PDGA membership is good for about a 5 minute thumb through...

Latest posts