• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer Flips

I should have been more specific. Are you releasing the disc purely using your wrist to get the hyzer angle? Are you finishing higher or the same as a flat throw? Are you bent at the waist to get the hyzer angle?

Those sort of things is what I'm asking.

Thanks in advance.

Hyzer: Aim high and right. Reach back is a little farther out from my body so I still have a linear pull. Weight more on my toes and a little more bent at the waist then throwing straight. My entire upper body creates the plane of the throw. Smooth acceleration through the release. Try to throw the disc "at speed".... i.e. don't throw a speed 7 like I'm trying to bomb a speed 11 for max distance.

Hyzer Flip: Aim straight and typically low along the line I want the straight part of the flight to take. Reach back is a little farther out from my body so I still have a linear pull. Weight more on my toes and a little more bent at the waist then throwing straight. My entire upper body creates the plane of the throw. Smooth acceleration to start, but a more violent burst at the end. Try to throw the disc "above speed"... i.e rip on a speed 7 like I was throwing a speed 11 and really follow through. Baby the release/end of the throw and you might get it to flip flat but not for long. The flippier the disc, the less effort it takes to hyzer flip.

Honestly, for me, my 'normal flat through' is a hyzer flip... If I want to throw a disc 'flat' it needs to be a little overstable so it wont just turn over.

Bend at the waist for all angles of shots. Hyzer bend over more. Flat is a nice neutral athletic stance. Anhyzer is very upright.

So a hyzer flip is just a normal hyzer shot (not to be confused with a vertical spike hyzer) while using a understable disc.

Bend at the waist, your torso/shoulders/follow through should do the same plane maintenance as during a flat shot. Just practice adding a couple degrees hyzer at a time so it doesn't feel drastic. The only difference between a pure sweep hyzer and a hyzer flip is the disc choice, the shot execution is the exact same for me. You also need to make sure you have a nose down grip, or the disc won't flip as easily...it will just climb and then stall.

Though keep in mind it seems to me that people execute hyzerflips differently in terms of aim.

For example, when throwing for distance at least, one can stride right to left and aim left to execute hyzerflip:

"A hyzer-flip shot will usually have a trajectory that will much more closely resemble a slightly upward line drive. As the disc flattens from a hyzer it will naturally rise (the more hyzer angle at the start the more natural rise the disc will have). This throw again will be aimed to the left but there are multiple takes on the disc direction. Pulling it straight online with where your body is pointing will carry the most power through the throw but pushing it slightly to the left of where your body is aiming will give more nose down and make it easier to flatten the disc." Link for full article: https://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/distancelines.shtml#theline

First off read every article in ^that link.

One thing a lot of people unintentionally dismiss/forget/don't realize is that the nose angle is often affected when changing the release angle (flat vs hyzer).

After going through those DGR articles I'm guessing you'll have a few more specific questions.

I can't hyzer flip, my discs will do either a hyzer or anhyzer. I can sort of do a Hyzer flip to flat thing if I try to muscle as well as do the whip with my lighter Champion Destroyer at 167 grams. The other Champion Destroyer is a 170 gram one that I can only do a nearly flat minimal hyzer with assuming their is no wind, that is just a heavier disc is all that amounts to. I tend to throw my Champion and Star Valkyrie both 171 grams dead straight, low and flat. I used to when I first started with drivers in 2004 after playing for a few months in 2003 with my DX Valkyrie nose it into the ground as I was trying to keep the disc too low. I am one of those players that can throw a Valkyrie into a headwind, as it was my only non fairway driver till end of June 2014 when I got my first Destroyer then got the other, the heavier Destroyer about 10 months later in May.
The Destroyers are the lower domed as the higher ones require a faster velocity then I can throw initially to get them on their path well. The same goes for my Valkyries, but not my XL's the Elite Z and then the ESP one are a higher mid domed disc as the XL has no glide for me. ESP Impacts are pretty much near flat no matter what and are more like a midrange driver anyhow.

I learned using DX leopards and some light, beat up mambas and sidewinders. For me, it has to be a disc that will go right on a flat throw and require a lot of hyzer to stay left. Never had much luck with new discs, pretty much has to be beat in. Rocs and sharks are great for learning too.

The biggest thing is learning the disc and getting confident. You will have to throw higher with good nose down and trust your release angle to let the disc flip without turning and burning. I can swap overstable discs in and out of my bag all day with no prob but these touchier discs I really have to learn.

I've struggled with consistent hyzer flip shots quite a bit this year. I've started turning a little bit more away from the target on my reach back, reaching out a little bit more from my body like I would for a normal hyzer, but finishing level across my body since I don't actually want to throw it high. I keep my weight more forward and bend forward a bit at the waist to help preserve my hyzer angle.

I echo what others have already said. The most important thing is bending at the hips so that your swing motion stays fairly consistent, from steep hyzers to anhyzers. You also have to tweak your run-up a little.

Unfortunately, the nature of hyzer flips lends those throws to inconsistency. They're some of the prettiest shots in disc golf, hitting awesome lines. But even the pros routinely miss these shots; i.e. too much hyzer, too much turnover, not enough turn, etc. I feel like I'm always looking for discs that are just understable enough to get the hyzer flip I need, but not so understable that I can't consistently control their flight.

Latest posts