• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am Almost Done with DG...

You need to stop playing for a while.

When you come back you naturally focus more on the fun. I don't know why, but you do. The more you play, the more of a score grind it becomes as you take the course for granted.

That, and play some bag-swap rounds with friends. Don't allow any pointers on what a disc does. Prepare for laughs. You have an excuse for throwing poorly and you get to try new plastic.

If you absolutely cannot stop throwing, then do almost all field work. Put on some jams, zone out, video yourself.

Thanks for all the love guys...:rolleyes:.

I just think "thinking" too much is killing me off the tee lately for starters. Thinking about the shot and second guessing my disc/shot selection too.

Probably going to do mostly putting/upshot work at the house for a bit and later return to the course for some fun work. Not playing rounds but just practicing some holes or certain shots on a few of the holes in general.

The biggest thing is getting past my "basket panic" on the course problem I have going on. I practice putting at the house and don't have that problem. Seems like the panic sets in on the course because I have missed several birdie ops after beautiful drives lately it is not funny anymore :(.

I really need to learn how to FH or flick some shots but that will just aggravate my problems. I have NO FH game.

Last edited:
You may want to change you perspective, because you use the word "work" ;)

Sounds like you need a boost of confidence, have you thought about taking time off of dg joining a gym and/or enrolling in a martial arts class?

I used to play rounds with a guy who was such a downer on himself that I had to stop playing with him. It ruined the fun factor so that sh*t had to end fast.

Quit your whining and get back out to the course!

Seriously though there's nothing wrong with getting burned out once in a while. It's easy to get caught up in Wiggins' 1100' drive and McBeth's 39 stroke rounds. Just unplug. No disc golf, no putting practice, no field work, no dgcoursereview, no browsing facebook for disc golf related stuff, no watching DG vids on youtube etc. You might just die of boredom sitting through weekends of beautiful weather. After a couple weeks of not playing, you will have an excuse for not hitting every putt or crushing every drive. You just might cut yourself some slack. If that doesn't work, then I'll go ahead and call dibs on any FAF firebirds, flat top rhynos, or eagles that you might have for sale. :D

Quit your whining and get back out to the course!

Seriously though there's nothing wrong with getting burned out once in a while. It's easy to get caught up in Wiggins' 1100' drive and McBeth's 39 stroke rounds. Just unplug. No disc golf, no putting practice, no field work, no dgcoursereview, no browsing facebook for disc golf related stuff, no watching DG vids on youtube etc. You might just die of boredom sitting through weekends of beautiful weather. After a couple weeks of not playing, you will have an excuse for not hitting every putt or crushing every drive. You just might cut yourself some slack. If that doesn't work, then I'll go ahead and call dibs on any FAF firebirds, flat top rhynos, or eagles that you might have for sale. :D

Funny thing is I WANT to get back out there, like NOW...even after my suck-tackular performance earlier today. I really must hate my self :doh:. I have a problem...:eek:.

You just missed my FAF Champ Firebird...I sold it for $12 shipped.

Last edited:
If you have any fairly empty parks go play some of your own made up on the fly object rounds.
Pick open shots or lines that seem like they would make a fun hole. Don't worry about hitting a basket sized zone just smack the pole/bench/tree.
Take a break from putting and take a break from holes that have score and put yourself in a position to throw short golf lines where you can occupy your mind with disc angle and flight and not thinking about footwork or elbow or any form stuff. Still throwing discs but not with ANY reason other than watching them fly in ways only DG discs can.

Every time I've felt the same way I've tried to take a break from the game and found that I really wanted to get back into it. So, I had no choice but to play better. It's pushed me through some serious breakthroughs in my game. If you can't quit, and you can't play badly, you only have one choice. Play better.

I am kind of in this same frame of mind right now. I am so fat and out of shape, that even when I am playing well(which hasn't happened a whole bunch lately) it isn't fun because I am so winded/sore. The only problem with that is if I take a break from playing I am just gonna gain more weight...

... man I need to get some self control... But bad food is so tasty...:wall:

Last edited:
Funny thing is I WANT to get back out there, like NOW...even after my suck-tackular performance earlier today. I really must hate my self :doh:. I have a problem...:eek:.

You just missed my FAF Champ Firebird...I sold it for $12 shipped.

no, i'm the same way. i was always a decent athlete, so i hate being "bad" at things even though i'm out of shape now. sometimes being good is more enjoyable than the activity itself. i will work and work and work until i find myself proficient and then move onto something else. when i run into walls i just try to keep running into them until they fall down, but sometimes it doesn't work that way.

I have felt the sane way before, after my first kid was born I went from a good advanced player to a rec level in no time. My distance went from 350 down to 250 and every putt was a tester. By the time i would get to hole three I would be done because like OP I was chasing a number that was not reachable. I was able to start playing for fun again and not worry about scores and things have come back around. If I played tourneys I would probally be advanced not a shot at winning but a chance to cash if I play well. Its a roller coaster sometimes climbing back to the top takes more time than reaching rock bottom.

As many have said already, burning out of disc golf (and anything in life for that matter) is a very real thing. I find it very important to pace myself. Especially with the weather warming up lately, I make it a point to diversify my free time with a couple different hobbies so as not to burn myself out on just one of them. Another thing that I find fun is playing a round with a buddy in which whoever wins the previous hole gets to choose a disc to take away from the other players bag (excluding putter). I'm not much of a ball golfer so I forget what this type play is called, but it helps you to really learn your bag as your buddy might take away your go-to disc for a certain hole and your forced to throw a different disc and maybe even find a new line on the hole.

The writer/creator of Mind. Body. Disc. (I think his name is Tim) has dedicated the 2016 season to simplifying his game in order to rediscover the joy disc golf gave him when he started playing. I recommend checking his posts out, some good stuff! Here's a link to one of his posts about simplification http://mindbodydisc.com/simplify/#more-3473

I took a big break cause of politics behind the scenes at my former home course amd my body hurt all the time. I need to knock all the rust and cobwebs out. But my drives and approach shots feel more comfortable retrained my sidearm so its mor fluid and smooth.

Dont play for a month clear you head. If you need to dont even log on here.

I feel you for sure. I can't take off more than a couple days before my body starts to revolt. I catch my self pantomiming my pull through or "putting" things in to the waste basket more often than I would like to admit.

I'll play in hard mode for at least 10-15 rounds when I start feeling a slump.
-I alternate tee shots using either a different disc or route than I normally use. This will keep me from leaning on one trick pony discs or relying on the same boring hyzer routes.
-I throw a firebird on any shot where I might otherwise throw a putter. Firebirds are my go to discs when I need to find a fairway, so more practice is always welcome.
-I use a nice overstable putter instead of a neutral/understable one. They tend to be a little more honest for me. I have to aim deliberately and putt confidently to make anything.

I've found a good serious injury to be an effective treatment.

Once you go an extended period being unable to throw at all, throwing badly doesn't seem all that bad.

When that happens, I usually take a few days off from playing golf and either do nothing but putt, or throw in a field for a bit. Tomorrow I plan on just putting in the backyard about 500-1000 putts through the day, just 10-15 footers, maybe stretch it out to 20ft if I'm hitting good. No stress, a few beers, some tunes, just relaxed putting, muscle memory type stuff. That's typically how I break new putters in too. I hate just taking time off, it happens every once in a while but I usually give in and at least putt.