• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I think I'm ready... Critique my bag

JimDK27

Par Member
Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG A little over 3 years
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: In order of preference (all right hand): Backhand, overhand, forehand
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Ridge: 160/175' (feet set, no run up); (Run ups for these) Buzzz: 225/250'; Monarch: 290/310'
* Max distance is the greatest distance you can throw your top 2-3 drivers with any regularity

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Right knee has occasional soreness thanks to slow pitch softball
Other sport proficiencies?: Slow pitch softball and ball golf are the main one. I'm basically a leisure sport enthusiast.
Additional Information: I recently changed my grip to try and produce some snap on my throws. I rarely throw my putter off the tee I prefer to throw my Buzzz. I have been putting with a Summit instead of my Ridge. I just like the way it feels.
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I'm really inconsistent with my driver accuracy. It has improved since I changed my grip. Now that I have introduced the roller to my bag I feel like I can make most of the technical shots, the outcome just depends on my execution of them :p
Specific areas of desired feedback: I want to know if you think the inconsistency is disc related.
Immediate and long-term goals: I'd like to have more consistency in the short-term, and gain some additional distance in the long-term

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
173g-Z-Flick (excellent)-OH Roller, FH meathook
161g-Blizzard-Boss (almost broken in)-For driving into the wind, BH meathook
157g-Blizzard-Wraith (still breaking in)-Hopeful distance driver
171g-Champ-Monarch (perfectly broke in)-My do everything disc (drives, anny, tomahawk, thumber, forehand shots)
170g-Firm-Ascent (do these things ever change?)-Confidence driver

Fairway Driver
171g-Z-Stalker (broke in)-Long tunnel shots, drives between my Buzzz and Monarch

Mids:
---g-Ti-Buzzz (barely used)-Primary mid for drives and longer approaches
177g-Star-San Marino Roc (broke in)-Used for shorter approaches or approaches that need to be shaped

Putters:
---g-Soft-Summit (more wear than my ridge)-Rarely used outside 50'

I think the inconsistency lies mostly in my technique, but I just wanted to see what your thoughts are.

If your Blizz Boss is your meathook, you don't have the arm to throw it. Sorry, but pick up some fairways and get them out to <300 ft.

Yeah I would focus more on fairway drivers at this point. You probably won't notice more than 10-15 ft. of difference between them and max distance drivers throwing at the range that you do.

I would suggest a Champion Eagle L, and a GL River.

Yeah I would focus more on fairway drivers at this point. You probably won't notice more than 10-15 ft. of difference between them and max distance drivers throwing at the range that you do.

If I won't notice a difference then why should I bother with them? I can throw my Boss straight but since it flies more stable than my other drivers and I can't throw my flick back hand I just throw it with a more hyzer angle. I could also have a bad definition of the term meathook since it is fairly new to me. I just assumed it is any throw that curves sharply to the left (for rhbh).

I was in the same boat at one point. Then I threw all of the high speed stuff out, quit running up and started to only throw teebirds. Believe it or not I can get better drivinh distance with no run up teebirds than I could blizzard destroyers. At your distance it doesn't sound like you have the form or arm for a destroyer or boss. I don't and I throw a little farther than you do. Speed 7-9 is where you need to be. They make high speed discs for pros. At this years USDGC distance competition, the top pros were putting hyzer on bosses and destroyers. Those drivers are made for them not us.

If I won't notice a difference then why should I bother with them? I can throw my Boss straight but since it flies more stable than my other drivers and I can't throw my flick back hand I just throw it with a more hyzer angle. I could also have a bad definition of the term meathook since it is fairly new to me. I just assumed it is any throw that curves sharply to the left (for rhbh).

Because they are:
1) more consistent

2) more forgiving

3) better for developing good form

I did away with the fast stuff as well, no my bag consists of Saints and Rivers and I couldn't be happier. I literally JUST put in a Flow last night, but haven't been able to throw it to see what it's like, but that's the fastest I've got. There are times when I outdrive my friend with my River when he's throwing Dominator, Archon, stuff like that. But there are those other times where he gets it and does outdrive me. However, generally speaking, I have better lies as your have WAY more control with slower stuff. Personally, I'll sacrifice distance for being in the fairway 95% of the time.

At your distance the Boss and Wraith are just too fast. Sure you can predicatably throw them but you're not getting them up to speed so they're just masking any form flaws and they turn before they're meant too. The Monarch is one to keep, it takes a lot of skill to keep those understable drivers going straight, especially as your power increases. Try a Valkyrie or Viking as well, probably some fairway drivers such as a Leopard too.

It may not be your favorite choice to drop all the new fast stuff when you spent your hard earned money on them, but it will improve your game.

Ok, this is good to hear! I'm happy I can keep my monarch in my bag. I'll take out the Blizz Boss and keep the wraith for head wind drives and put my star leopard in too (I just like my stalker better). How do you determine the speed of the discs that aren't innova? I like to use Joe's flight chart, but it doesn't use speed in it's rating system or I can figure out where it does.

I guess my next step is to post a video so my form can be critiqued in another forum. Thanks for all the help!

It may not be your favorite choice to drop all the new fast stuff when you spent your hard earned money on them, but it will improve your game.

It isn't a very big deal. I have a friend that manages a PIAS that let's me know when good used stuff gets in if she knows I'm looking for it. :D:thmbup:

Ok, this is good to hear! I'm happy I can keep my monarch in my bag. I'll take out the Blizz Boss and keep the wraith for head wind drives and put my star leopard in too (I just like my stalker better). How do you determine the speed of the discs that aren't innova? I like to use Joe's flight chart, but it doesn't use speed in it's rating system or I can figure out where it does.

I guess my next step is to post a video so my form can be critiqued in another forum. Thanks for all the help!

The easiest way to tell speed is rim width. The wider the rim, the faster the disc is. Compare any new stuff to your leopard or stalker. Both are good slower discs. Watch some videos in the technique forum of the pros driving and pay close attention to their timing. This will help with your snap issue.

I personally thought fairways were a joke for a long time. Now my bag is littered with em. Just to practice with em during casual rounds.

I throw XS, Gazelle, Cyclone, Teebird, and Banshee. And I am working on a stalker atm. I'd suggest getting more of em and working on em. They seem to prove very useful.

Last edited:

Champ eagle-l for sure!:thmbup: Line shaping machine!

Okay, I've taken some discs out and put some others in. Let me know what you think.

Drivers:
166g-Champ-Krait (friend brought it to me to try)-Headwind driver I guess
170g-ESP/FLX-Surge SS-What I really planned to be my overstable driver
171g-Champ-Monarch
173g-Z-Flick
170g-Firm-Ascent
173g-Z-Xpress-Flys straight and seems to be slower driver which is what was prescribed

Fairway Drivers:
171g-Z-Stalker
170g-Star-Leopard (lightly used)

Mids:
---g-Ti-Buzzz
170g-CryZtal-Buzzz
(I think I'm going to leave my Roc out for now)

Putter:
---g-Soft-Summit

I was wondering if some discs are affected more by OAT than others, because today when I was throwing my mids and putters my Star San Marino Roc was turning over almost every time I threw it while my Buzzzes flew straight (aside from a domey Buzzz that I don't throw very often).