• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I Want to hold a Tournament with sponsors...

Navnetso

Hi All,
So lets brain storm a little. Here in So Cal I've never played in a Disc Golf tournament that has sponsors, But all the stick and ball tournaments I've played in do.
SO... I think we should come up with a plan for how to market tournaments so it attracts sponsors.

Suggestions?

Your going to have to show that previous attendance was high for the specific tournament and that it would benefit them to sponsor the event. Also make sure that you are asking companies that would have consumer relevance related to disc golf. I don't think it would be hard but you have to keep that in mind.

First you need to plan your event. Find a date and a course. Plan for a two-day event...it will be easier to attract sponsorship.

Once you have the information together, put together a proposal...make it a three tier proposal. Three different price points for different level of sponsorship. This is for your big sponsors.

Approach the CVB, Chamber of Commerce, City, County and merchant groups. These are the ones that most likely will have tourism money to spend. They will spend to sponsor an event that draws people in from out of town and will be spending the night.

Next put together a smaller sponsorship package...think hole sponsors and CTP sponsors. Do the same thing...three tier. Hit all the restaurants, campgrounds and bars.

Good luck.

Lots and lots and lots of cold calling. It's a really humbling experience. Plan on one sponsor (and at the lowest tier) for every 50 calls/emails. Hit every type of business that you can think of. The local newspaper exchanged running an ad for my tourney instead of a cash donation. Work with a bar (bars) to make them the destination of choice or the after party location. Contact local banks (where the money is ;)). Try car dealers. Head shops usually like to contribute.

I'll PM you the sponsorship proposal that I used for my tourney. In the meantime, do a search on the 2011 AM Nats (or Worlds) and check out their proposal (I'm going to model mine after that). It helps describe disc golf (for companies that might not be familiar) and it includes the value proposition.

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out what it is that would make a sponsor need to be shown at a disc golf tournament. I get where companies that make Disc Golf stuff would be interested but what about the other people. What about Car sales and Insurance companies. I see tons of that crap at stick and ball tournaments. Is the spending potential of Disc Golfers really that far off?

It's all about the value proposition. You need to sell them the sponsorship and make them believe that it's in their best interest to give you money/merchandise/time. The one thing to keep in mind is that a lot of these companies get hit up for money every day and are typically jaded (especially in this economy) about giving away their slice of the pie.

I'm trying to figure out what it is that would make a sponsor need to be shown at a disc golf tournament. I get where companies that make Disc Golf stuff would be interested but what about the other people. What about Car sales and Insurance companies. I see tons of that crap at stick and ball tournaments. Is the spending potential of Disc Golfers really that far off?

A ball tournament has a lot of spectators. Disc Golf doesn't. A lot of what you see at ballfields in sponsorship for the season as well. A lot of kids play ball. Their parents sometimes own or manage businesses. Makes more sense for them to sponsor things that they or their kids are involved with.

I work hard on getting sponsors for one of the three tournaments I run. Every year I seem to get one or two more than the year before. The important things is to keep on keeping on. It will make a difference.

Go after the tourism money.

Latest posts