• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

IAmA McFlySoHigh Video

What video editing software do you use/recommend?

Any suggestions for a start up noob to learn by?

i know the VTI TD pretty well...:)

20+ 1000 rated guys in one of the world's most camera friendly cow pastures.

Marty this would be a sweet one to film. Biscoe has an outstanding course up there with a sweet event. My favorite course that I have played to date and ill agree with biscoe that it would film well.

Love what you do as always Marty.

Pat

I appreciate that your work is one of the few (besides CCDG) that has learned that it really helps to zoom in to track the disc flight. I really can't stand to watch the vast majority of footage that does not zoom in - it takes me right out of the game.

I have only noticed on a few occasions in which you will stand partially down the fairway and do a panning shot of the disc from the tee pad to the fairway - I find it hard to see the discs once the pan is complete. Were these pan shots used because there was no other place for you to stand?

Anyway, enough for the humble critique, keep up the great work! I love your stuff.

Marty this would be a sweet one to film. Biscoe has an outstanding course up there with a sweet event. My favorite course that I have played to date and ill agree with biscoe that it would film well.

Love what you do as always Marty.

Pat

Is there a full round coverage readily available out there?

I know there's some shots from a Clash vid on youtube and some random footage I assume.

Would be sweet to see a full round of Hawk Hollow in HD :D

This may have already been asked, but will you filming any events at any Bay Area, CA courses in the near future. Stafford Lake in Novato would be a great course to film, so would Skyline Park in Napa. I just think it would be interesting to see how the pros play on some of the courses I play regularly. Love your work, by the way. I watch your videos all the time...

Question. I shoot disc golf with a DSLR as well (Sony a65). Im getting really good quality after uploading to Vimeo but I feel there could be room for improvement.

Do you have any tips on encoding video? I have researched the damn thing to death and it is hurting my head.

Ahh, there are many encoding gremlins out there, so shoot with caution! ;) I shoot in MOV and render in MP4. For me this yields the best looking file for archiving. YouTube then applies a coating of Vaseline on the product before it's disseminated to the public. Just kidding. I think it looks pretty good, considering. The stuff I burn to Blu-ray (when I get the occasional disc order) will really make you say WOW.

What video editing software do you use/recommend?

Any suggestions for a start up noob to learn by?

From the get-go I've used Sony Platinum 12. I highly recommend it, especially for the price. I tried a trial of the 4x expensive Vegas Pro, and it's essentially the same software. Adobe Premiere and Final Cut Pro have their users and advocates, obviously, but Sony offers way more bang for the buck.

You planning to make it to the KCWO by chance?

Kansas City is well within my travel circle, and I don't think I have anything else booked that weekend, but KC is Dynamic Discs territory, and it'll no doubt be extensively covered again by their crew (Cool Daddy Slick Breeze).

I appreciate that your work is one of the few (besides CCDG) that has learned that it really helps to zoom in to track the disc flight. I really can't stand to watch the vast majority of footage that does not zoom in - it takes me right out of the game.

I have only noticed on a few occasions in which you will stand partially down the fairway and do a panning shot of the disc from the tee pad to the fairway - I find it hard to see the discs once the pan is complete. Were these pan shots used because there was no other place for you to stand?

Anyway, enough for the humble critique, keep up the great work! I love your stuff.

I avoid panning shots like the plague, because they violate one of the basic rules of disc golf videography: Keep your damn camera as stable as possible!! I'm trying to purge them completely from my repertoire, so bear with me. I promise they'll be as rare as a Feldberg forehand. :)

This may have already been asked, but will you filming any events at any Bay Area, CA courses in the near future. Stafford Lake in Novato would be a great course to film, so would Skyline Park in Napa. I just think it would be interesting to see how the pros play on some of the courses I play regularly. Love your work, by the way. I watch your videos all the time...

I know there's some great golf/courses in CA, but McFly sightings there are sure to be a fairly rare sight in the future, what with me being clear across the country and all.

Kansas City is well within my travel circle, and I don't think I have anything else booked that weekend, but KC is Dynamic Discs territory, and it'll no doubt be extensively covered again by their crew (Cool Daddy Slick Breeze).

I don't remember Cool Daddy doing coverage in the past, even last year. But I could be wrong.

Is there a full round coverage readily available out there?

I know there's some shots from a Clash vid on youtube and some random footage I assume.

Would be sweet to see a full round of Hawk Hollow in HD :D

there is a clash tourney vid and an episode of disc golf monthly out there.

Hi, thanks for all your coverage. It was nice to meet you when you covered TCP here in Raleigh for the opening of Glow. I know it was just a bunch of locals but I enjoyed watching the round just the same. You were hoping to raise some funds to go out west, do you still need help?

That is some of the best video I've seen for actually tracking the disc in flight. Very nice to watch!

Hi, thanks for all your coverage. It was nice to meet you when you covered TCP here in Raleigh for the opening of Glow. I know it was just a bunch of locals but I enjoyed watching the round just the same. You were hoping to raise some funds to go out west, do you still need help?

I do, actually. Since securing some funding for that road trip (for which I'm truly grateful), I added on an extra hotel night in both Vegas and Phoenix to do "bonus" recap/preview videos. So, if the mood strikes you, I would welcome a PayPal contribution to [email protected]. All of my benefactors will get on-screen recognition for the Vegas and Memorial videos. Thanks!

Are you booked for the weekend of Oct 11? If not, how much convincing will it take to get you to take a trip to sunny south Florida?

Are you booked for the weekend of Oct 11? If not, how much convincing will it take to get you to take a trip to sunny south Florida?

I am not currently booked on Oct. 11. Not knowing if funding will be running dry that late in the year, I'd like to at least break even on an excursion to FL. Send me a PM with more info, please sir!