• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ID required to enter an event

I know of at least one serious incident last year with this happening. And at least two not so serious incidents this year of it hapenning.

Out of, what, 30,000 tournament entries?

One drawback is that it isn't needed at lower-tier tournaments, while at bigger tournaments, it would more greatly add to the hassle. Imagine checking 700 IDs at Bowling Green. Or 1000 at Charlotte Worlds. At 20 seconds apiece, that's 6 1/2 hours just devoted to checking IDs.

Out of, what, 30,000 tournament entries?

One drawback is that it isn't needed at lower-tier tournaments, while at bigger tournaments, it would more greatly add to the hassle. Imagine checking 700 IDs at Bowling Green. Or 1000 at Charlotte Worlds. At 20 seconds apiece, that's 6 1/2 hours just devoted to checking IDs.

I'll just say that those are the ones that were caught. Imagine how many weren't caught.

I understand the problems it would cause, don't get me wrong. But there are so many things in this sport we don't do that hold us back. This for one. Drug test for another.

I'll just say that those are the ones that were caught. Imagine how many weren't caught.

I understand the problems it would cause, don't get me wrong. But there are so many things in this sport we don't do that hold us back. This for one. Drug test for another.

Seriously? Drug testing? What business is it of the TDs whether a player uses drugs? On the course is a different situation. What a player does before he gets to the tourny is their business. So now I need ID and to pee in a cup just to register? WTF are you talking about? How the hell is lack of drug testing holding back our sport? Most sports institute drug testing to weed out performance enhancing drugs. Trust me, the vast majority of DG'rs are not juicing up on roids.

I am trying to imagine how many weren't caught.....4 is how many I imagined.

I'm fine with that. My cousin looks a lot like me, I'll just use his DL.

I think I'm going to read my agreement with PDGA a little more closely next time ... I don't remember releasing my bodily fluids to anyone.

I imagine very few weren't caught.

This isn't holding us back from anything. But if you really want to get on the right track, let's start issuing 1099s for everyone who wins anything, down on the CTPs, and getting legal clearance for our gambling operations in states where it may be an issue. That, along with drug testing and photo I.D.s, should really boost the non-sanctioned tournament scene.

Drug testing would be funny. You might get 100 players playing tournaments for the year with a rule like that. Tournaments would consist of about 20 players each. And the cost for it, the cheapest test I know of cost $25. Are the players going to be required to pay for their own drug test? It could be covered in the entry fee.

When these things happen over the next 10 years or so, just remember that I said "I told you so"

There's an am with the same name as me, I'll just use his # if I want to bag. Think hes current too so I can also save t ten bucks.

You don't even have to use your real or legal name to register for the PDGA. You could have any name you want, so a license will not prove that you are "mike hunt" or whoever you decide you want to be.

You don't even have to use your real or legal name to register for the PDGA. You could have any name you want, so a license will not prove that you are "mike hunt" or whoever you decide you want to be.

This is true. And this has caused issues here in NC.

Eventual ID checking and drug testing will both be driven by money and sponsors. With pre-reg being the norm for NTs and Majors, there's pretty good recon on IDs for those events already. When more money is at stake in lower tier events, there will be more requests for checking IDs. We won't see drug testing until there is vastly larger sponsorship money which would mean that vastly more people care that the results aren't tainted in some manner. I suspect that time is quite a ways off.

Just doesn't seem feasible to me. When you consider the all of people that play tourneys, the percentage of professional baggers (i.e. people who take bagging to this level) can't be all that significant. I just don't see this as being such a prevalent problem that TD's need to card players, and slow down the check-in process.

As for drug testing... why? Is anyone gaining a competitive advantage from their drug use?
Even if they've used something illegal prior to the tourney, is it the TD's responsiblity to enforce the law? I had to break the speed limit and made a rolling stop to get to my last tourney on time... should I have been DQ'd?

I can understand DQing a player for actually doing something illegal (drugs or otherwise) during the tournament, or even while on the grounds while there for the tourny, but firmly believe that what you do off site shouldn't concern the TD, as long as it doesn't
1) result in an unfair competitive advantage.
2) involve the TD's significant other :p .

Just doesn't seem feasible to me. When you consider the all of people that play tourneys, the percentage of professional baggers (i.e. people who take bagging to this level) can't be all that significant. I just don't see this as being such a prevalent problem that TD's need to card players, and slow down the check-in process.

Not to mention, the ones that are taking it to this level will just as easily find their way around an ID check. So what does it really accomplish?

Drug testing. Now that's funny - got a legitimate big belly chuckle from me! I don't use drugs or tolerate/support their use around me...but really, c'mon. If anything, the drugs dg'ers may be using are performance de-hancers. :)

In 10 years, or next year, or never...if these are implemented into the PDGA tournament rules, ok, whatever. Personally I think that at this time there are far more important avenues to focus on if the goal is increased legitimacy as a sport and an organization (which, presumptively, will eventually equate to more money). What we're talking about here is not going to increase participation, exposure, attract major sponsorship, or do much to shift the balance between "professional" and less professional attitudes in the sport by participants. imho.

This case is pretty ridiculous, although this is another good argument for AM's to be trophy only, which I fully endorse, and would solve this issue without having to check IDs.

This case is pretty ridiculous, although this is another good argument for AM's to be trophy only, which I fully endorse, and would solve this issue without having to check IDs.

Wow.....liogic....is this still dgcr? Couldn't agree more

The way I see it, there's two points to be made.

1.) As already said, if you can't afford an ID, then how do you afford gas/time/airfare/plastic/entry fees?

2.) I really don't understand why people don't carry their ID anyhow. Take the tinfoil hat off and just carry the damn thing. It weighs a negligible amount, so it's not like it's a huge ordeal just to have it with you.

I guess I'm not really arguing the validity of it at PDGA events, but am arguing just having it in general.

You may think this is a bad idea, and maybe it is.

But it goes beyond avoiding bagging as I mentioned in the OP.

Let's say a player is banned from PDGA events for stealing merchandise. I guess Thumber and others wants this guy to show up under a fake name to their local events.

Let's say a player is supsended from PDGA events for damaging park property at an event. I guess Thumber and others wants this guy to show up under a fake name to their local events.

Maybe logic, as Thumber says, isn't present.