• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Idlewild trip

i was up there about a month ago, and it was still pretty messy on some of the holes. it only really affected like 3-4 holes though, so its was still worth playing...

Im about to go to cinci next week, not sure what days yet, still waiting a couple more days for accurate weather. I heard on a recent post and review that Idlewild isnt 100%. Can any locals or anyone whos played it recently tell me how the conditions are and whats affected?

-Thanks

Just there yesterday and I don't recall anything not being 100%...there were some pins in slightly shorter positions to help with some re-seeding efforts, but everything else seemed normal

Lincoln ridge on the other hand was a little iffy in places, but only for navigation, the course itself was pretty good..

Thanks again chris, chris and dustin for a great DG day

About how many pins were moved ? and are they far out of place? I wanted to be able to see how I scored on the course, will my score be affected much by this alternate pin placement?

Yeah, there were some shorter pins that probably would have added a few strokes to my score had they been in their normal position. It was difficult enough with the short pins we played (maybe 4 or 5), I can't imagine how much more difficult some of those holes would have been. It's definitley worth the trip.

Lincoln Ridge was super busy when we where there, so if you can, I'd suggest playing on a weekday.

oh yeah the KY state DG championships...idlewild will be super busy on saturday...

there is also a tournament at idlewild on sat. the 11th, so it maybe pretty busy if you plan on playing saturday...

I could be wrong, but I don't believe you can play a casual round while a tournament is going on. And the tournament is completely full, so I hope everyone who wanted to play registered early.

Thanks for the info guys! One more question though, should I just wait to play idlewild when its 100% or will I still get close to the full experiance?

I could be wrong, but I don't believe you can play a casual round while a tournament is going on. And the tournament is completely full, so I hope everyone who wanted to play registered early.

I could also be wrong :D, but as long as it's a public course, you probably should be able to play it, even if there's a tourney. We had some casuals at our last sanctioned event, but that was a B\C tier.

Local Cincy Player

Hey boys. I'm a local Cincinnati player and I can back up most of what everyone is saying.

The 3 MUST PLAY Courses
:
  1. Idlewild
  2. Lincoln Ridge (Banklick)
  3. Mt. Airy

First concerning Idlewild. It was closed for a couple months this winter to let reseed the grass and do other maintenance. It reopen on March 14th. I played it on March 21st and everything looked wonderful to me, minus the 2009 Tee Signs are not in yet. There is a tournament this weekend, April 11th, and the field is 72 players. That's four players a hole for all 18 holes. So no one will be able to play the course until the tournament is over. I know for the last couple weeks players and workers have been working on Idlewild hard and it's supposed to look great.

The following is a post from the Cincinnati Club Website about the Tees of Idlewild:

All baskets that were placed in different spots for winter and grass seeding (1, 3, 5, 6, 8 & 10), have been replaced to normal position for this week.

Hole #2 Two baskets. Short is short of pond, long is across the pond.

Hole #3 Two tees. Short tee left of walking path, long right of walking path.

Hole #13 Two baskets. Short is right side of fairway, visible from tee, long is down hill, dogleg right, across creek.

Hole #14 Two tees. Short tee follow path from short 13, across meadow. Long tee is across bridge over creek from long 13.

Hole #16 Two baskets. Short is on first green, long is on second green. Both visible from tee.

Mt. Airy is having some problems with erosion and has been under rework for a couple of months now. While you can still play it, there are some holes that are different now and the navigation is a little hard with all the confusion. I've only ever played it twice and can't really speak for what is going on right now.

You said you liked short, technical courses in one of your posts earlier. So I may suggest playing Monroe Community Park. It's a short course and technical. Very wooded. Amazing. It's right along 75 too so its not out of the way at all.

I know for the last couple weeks players and workers have been working on Idlewild hard and it's supposed to look great.

When I was out there Saturday, Fred Salaz and company were getting the course ready. They were painting posts that the signs go on and the benches. The course was in outstanding condition and I'm sure the signs will be back for this weekend. Idlewild is hands down the best maintained course I've ever played.

I have a few things in addition to what CincyRocs said...

I also played Mt. Airy two days ago. I referred to the course map that is provided on the course webpage, however, holes 5, 6, 7, and 8 are alternate holes. After hole 4, finding hole 5 is obvious, But I had little trouble finding 6. Just continue to walk past basket 5 to locate number 6 tee (mulch). Hole 6 is very long and down into the woods along the right side of the road. Hole 7 tee is near 6 basket. You will have to backtrack a little to find the sharp dogleg left hole 8 (with a mando). Hole 9 is near the road following the map provided.

I also played Monroe Community Park (my recent review has been added) and would recommend it as well. It is short and somewhat technical providing for many birdie opportunities. It's a nice change of pace from the top 3 courses mentioned many times in this thread.

Thanks for the continous updates on this site about Idlewild!

In 2 weeks I have a chance to finally play Idlewild, leaving from the Philly area I plan on playing all 54 holes at Cordorus and Whispering Falls on day 1 and then driving 8 hrs to Idlewild and playing on day 2.

I played Flip City last Sept, Sabattus in Maine and Maple Hill 18 months ago, I'm exited to see if Idlewild matches these courses in quality.

.... and Maple Hill 18 months ago, I'm exited to see if Idlewild matches these courses in quality.

Wheres the review? Did you like Maple Hill or Flip City better?

Thanks for the info guys! One more question though, should I just wait to play idlewild when its 100% or will I still get close to the full experiance?

Better question,

Is Idlewild still a "5 Rated" course right now with the pins out of place?

.....First concerning Idlewild....... I played it on March 21st and everything looked wonderful to me.....

I didnt relize you were referring to the pin placement. Thanks for the help! Im looking forward to playing the Cinci area (proly gonna go this weekend).

Thanks for everyones advice on courses too. Me and the person i'm going with like pro courses but also like fun "par 3" courses (Fun to play for aces sometimes). We came up with this list-

Day 1-
-Idlewild
-"Disc N Dat"
-"Skyline chili" (lol, thanks Andy Hlavac)
-Lincoln Ridge
-Pride Park (I know people have been saying its no good but its on the route and we like the pics)
-Highland Hills
-Hotel

Day 2-
-Woodland Mound
-Mt. Airy
-William Harbin
-Buck Creek
-Mary Rutan (if theres time)
Home