• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If there were no distance drivers...

what classifies as a distance driver for you?
realistically a leopard or the like is a distance driver.

While I disagree that a Leopard is a "distance" driver, I agree without an established definition the discussions will be all over the place.

For me, I define a distance driver based on the speed listed on the Marshall Street flight guide. Anything speed 10+ is a distance driver.

I'd lose my Mamba, but since it is my short game that really stinks it probably wouldn't hurt me too much.

While I disagree that a Leopard is a "distance" driver, I agree without an established definition the discussions will be all over the place.

For me, I define a distance driver based on the speed listed on the Marshall Street flight guide. Anything speed 10+ is a distance driver.

I'd lose my Mamba, but since it is my short game that really stinks it probably wouldn't hurt me too much.

I'd hate the thought of losing my Mamba too but I guess the Archangel would find its way back into my bag.

my scores wouldn't suffer too much but my enjoyment would suffer a little. throwing and watching a massive 's' with a distance driver is a lot of fun and i would miss throwing big sweeping anhyzers with the flippy long stuff.

Shoot I would be fine.

I learned on Fairways back in the day and I could do just fine if they did away with Distance drivers.

I recently banished any disc with a speed of 10 or higher from my bag, and I have been loving it. I have also been gaining some good practice and distance by throwing my fairway drivers for distance. This week I got my volt out to 400' or so and it felt good, now I just need to figure out how to do that consistently...

For me, I define a distance driver based on the speed listed on the Marshall Street flight guide. Anything speed 10+ is a distance driver. .

so you don't consider a Teebird, Valkyrie, XS, or XL a distance driver? All 4 at one point held the distance record. I believe all 4 were thrown over 800'.

also, its not like since speed 10+ has come out that anything greater has been accomplished. All it did was make it easier to achieve the distances people were already capable of hitting. they didn't change the game besides equal the playing field a little between skill levels.

Probably not too much but I consider distance drivers speed 11 and up maybe you mean anything above 7? I'd suffer some then I do well with 10 or even 9 and below. I really only use anything above 10 for the lines, fade, and skip I can see over them.

I throw 9 speed (or, more accurately, 1.9cm rim) for max D. I could live with 1.7cm (teebird). Unless the holes are really open I can keep up with players of similar rating, throwing Teebirds as far as their Destroyers, Nukes, et al.

I can get a bit of extra D with 9 speed, the unmarked +mold Sidewinders are pretty stable and go far on tight lines.

Anything with a bigger rim than 1.9cm is hard for me to hold on to. It always feels like they 'slip' out of my hand rather than 'pop' out and I don't transfer the power well enough to get em up to speed. I use a Climo stacked/fork grip. I basically get the same distance with them.

so you don't consider a Teebird, Valkyrie, XS, or XL a distance driver? All 4 at one point held the distance record. I believe all 4 were thrown over 800'.

also, its not like since speed 10+ has come out that anything greater has been accomplished. All it did was make it easier to achieve the distances people were already capable of hitting. they didn't change the game besides equal the playing field a little between skill levels.

I can see the point in considering speed 9 as a distance driver. However, those throwing a Valkyrie 800+ feet are doing so based on skill, not the disc. Removing higher speed drivers from the game would refocus the game on skill.

If 9+ discs were removed from play, I think McBeast, Shoestrings, Feldbeard, et al would still be dominating. I think it would affect the bubble players--those who are less skilled then the top players but right now are sticking with them due to the advantage of high speed drivers.

I can see the point in considering speed 9 as a distance driver. However, those throwing a Valkyrie 800+ feet are doing so based on skill, not the disc.

and there in lies the conundrum, if people used the slower disc to try and get that distance their skill would improve.

it is the disc, in the case of the Valkyrie anyway. there are a handful of discs out there that have blended speed and glide perfectly. those discs are the "greats" that we all love and gush over year after year. now dont get me wrong to reach that 800' mark is definitely all skill, but thats not what I am really trying to get at, what i am saying is that the slower speed distance drivers are fully capable of reaching the same distance, or greater, as a speed 13 disc in any ones hands.

I'd be fine with just Firebirds / Rivers / Sidewinders. I'm rarely pulling anything faster than that out of the bag now days.

fyi according to the manufacturer the firebird/sidewinder is a distance driver
9312228192_7ab5f4f188.jpg

It would have made my life a whole lot easier since I just started about a month ago. Fell into the noob trap of buying higher speeds thinking that equates to longer drives. Thanks to this forum I quickly learned to learn the fundamentals on lower speeds. Been having much more success now that I drive with my Leopard. Once I get that consistently I'll start working to get my TeeBird consistent too. It'll be a long time until I ever touch anything above 9 again, other than the occasional kicks and giggles toss.

my game wouldnt suffer, considering i throw putters and mids 80% of the time and have my fairway drivers for the other 19.99% and then for the .01% i pull out my trespasses for huge 550ft+ bombs but i can get my esacape probably almost as far

The speed rating on a disc does not make it fly farther, but if you can throw far you need a high speed disc. There is a reason the pros throw distance drivers. But that's not the question...

Yes, I would suffer without a driver. Mid's are good for control, but a driver flys farther. A lot farther.

They aren't just called distance drivers.

Once upon a time - INNOVA considered both the Leopard and the TeeBird as Ultra Long Range Drivers. Here is an INNOVA Disc Selection Chart from 2000.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010701041325/http://innovadiscs.com/disc_select_chart.pdf

For those that like to debate the meaning and/or usage of the terms Understable, Stable and Overstable, this was at the bottom of the chart.

Stability is a description of the disc's flight path. Understable means a flight that turns right, Stable is a flight that doesn't turn, Overstable refers to a flight that turns to the left.