• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If you could go back and tell yourself anything as a Disc Golf beginner...

davidalln

... what would it be? Would you have practiced differently? More football field work and less course rounds? More putting and less driving? Buying less discs and learning more shots?

(DISCLAIMER: I am a complete beginner looking to soak up any information I can, so I figure learning from the experiences of others would a good way to learn)

I would say "Slightly younger Camden, you need to learn about the discs you are throwing with. Learn a few and slowly grow in to them. Find some that will help you develop straight shots and build up your arm strength. Be killer with your putting and learn god form first. You will be mad when you are having to go back and re-teach yourself proper putting form. Drive for show, putt for dough."

I just need that little angel (or is it devil) on my shoulder to remind me "You don't need that" everytime I peruse a DG store.

I would say: Don't worry about how discs are designed to fly until you can throw them fast enough to matter... Whenever you can get that Wraith to consistently turn right, then you can worry about disc design characteristics... Ignore all the talk about stable -vs- unstable until that time...

Throw more backhand and non dominant arm

To try and learn online like I do now. For a few years I couldn't even tell you what overstable/understable/hyzer/anhyzer was because I just picked up a disc and figured it out myself. I guess not be so stubborn and learn disc golf by trial and error but read up a little bit more.

second would be to use midranges instead of drivers!

To put down the "ego discs" and learn to throw with slower molds.

I'd tell myself to concentrate on putting. Once I started getting any good at all, I tried to practice distance all the time. If i had any spare time to practice, it went to driving. Now I realize that Driving distance just comes in time. You can't just add 50+ feet to your drive-unless you fix something major. I would especially stress to myself to simply focusing on putting the disc straight at the basket. A little while ago I realized that if I focus on lining the left side of my disc up with the hole and keeping it on that line, then i am much more accurate, and the height usually takes care of itself (within 30'). I push putt, so this helps a lot. I guess the real reason that I would tell myself that this works is because I used to putt exactly this way, and then I realized that spin putting could get me a little more distance. However, instead of push putting within 30' and spin putting outside of that, I went to spin putting all the time, and then recently i've gone back to push putting. I would have really benefitted if I had staying with the push putt during that year period where I went to spin putting.

Ditto the slow stuff. When I hurt myself and had to start over I didn't touch my drivers for a long time.

To put down the "ego discs" and learn to throw with slower molds.

This is a very true statement. Who cares if you are throwing a "beginner disc" many pros throw the same disc and if it is easier to use why not? You will have a much better game if you learn with something geared to a newbie that trying to throw a Boss your first time out.

This is a very true statement. Who cares if you are throwing a "beginner disc" many pros throw the same disc and if it is easier to use why not? You will have a much better game if you learn with something geared to a newbie that trying to throw a Boss your first time out.

Yep, I set myself back quite a bit by buying a few of long distance drivers my to start with. It wasn't until this year when I started concentrating on driving with mids that I began to learn how to throw backhand.

The same kind of newbie ego flexing of course happens all over the place. I can't tell you how many people try to get a true sport bike for their first motorcycle because they don't want to be seen by their friends on a "girl bike".

The same kind of newbie ego flexing of course happens all over the place. I can't tell you how many people try to get a true sport bike for their first motorcycle because they don't want to be seen by their friends on a "girl bike".

Is that the same as using "girl discs?" I enjoy throwing 150s even now.

Definitely to learn to throw putters and mids off the tee, that's helped my game a great deal recently.

Forget about distance. Focus purely on correct technique with slower discs as many have already mentioned. Find a few molds that seem to work well and not worry about all the "latest and greatest" miracle discs that are so cleverly marketed. Always think finesse and resist the urge to try and muscle everything. Don't be intimidated to play with peolpe who are better than you--they will have the potential to help your game tremendously if they are the helpful type. Experiment with different grips untill you find whats right for you. I wasted a good 6-8 months struggling with a grip that didn't work for me because someone had told me that , "It's the only correct way to grip a disc".

I would tell myself to come to this site, read the technique section, and make threads asking questions about stuff I didn't understand or couldn't find answers to. I did this about 6 years too late and it has completely changed my game for the better. I had no idea what I was doing before I came to this site, and in fact everything I was doing was wrong. I've added about 80-100 feet to my drive and increased my accuracy 10-fold since completely changing my form due to tips from experienced players on this forum. If I could have known what I know now from the beginning, I'd be winning world championships by now.....or not.

I agree playing with people who are better than you may seem very intimidating at first, but I have noticed that it gives you a chance to learn some new things. If you are competitive you start to learn and pick up things quicker so that you can compete. I started playing with some guys earlier this summer who were better than me and I have noticed a large jump in improvement. Part of you does not want to look like a fool in front of a better player so you try harder I think.

I saw a poor kid today throwing a Force. I was going to tell him to please put it away and throw the shark but then he told everyone he got it for his birthday and I just didn't have the heart.

It is great when you can throw a mid as far as many throw drivers...way more impressive than being one of the herd....Moooo....Bossssss......

Latest posts