• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If you could switch the pars on any two holes on a course...

HelloPoodles

... which ones would it be?

Yes, I know ultimately it's only the overall number of throws that makes a difference, but I do think par numbers have an affect on players' psychology. And I find it really annoying when I think the par on a hole is fundamentally wrong (which is seldom, but still...) .

Anyway, this is just a parlor game, so play along... :popcorn:

I played Orgeon Park in Marietta GA this morning and I definitely think the pars for #7 and #14 should be switched. They are almost exactly the same distance(418 vs 419), but #7 (par 4) has a wide, tree-free fairway and a green that plays a little more naturally into the typical RHBH approach shot. Hole #14 (par 3) is downhill, but right into a green with a good number of trees. I'm not convinced there's a path other than that provided by divine intervention. Holes 15,16, and 17 are all birdie-able, so this one has put me in a bad mood each time I've played there.

those should both be par 3's.

I would say unless the fairway is extremely tight or has a very sharp bend holes under 500' shouldnt be par 4s.

...Arbitrary number yada yada... I love genuine par 4 and 5s, and think they should be labeled as such.

If you follow number of drives plus 2 putts rule like in ball golf, only if you can throw 470 should 500 and under be par 3's, and that's for wide open shots. If you have anything guarding the pin that make it unrealistic to drive at on a 300' hole, leaving you greater than 30' away in all circumstances, that should still be a par 4.

The Hat had three eagles in a row this weekend. He's good, but 380 foot par 5s are dumb. Milo's is over 1100 feet.

People stressing about what par should be for a hole is nuts. Yes, it affects them mentally because they are not focused on playing the hole. Final score is what counts. An annoyed player is a distracted player. Thanks for the advantage.

#12, Castle Hayne, could/should be a Par 4, I think. Right now it's a Par 5.
As a Par 5, it's a fairly easy birdie for most Pros and even Advanced. Gets Eagled fairly often.

#7, Castle Hayne, could/should be a Par 3 in the longs. Right now it's a Par 4. No challenge, Pros birdie it all the time, even get Eagles now and then.

... which ones would it be?

Yes, I know ultimately it's only the overall number of throws that makes a difference, but I do think par numbers have an affect on players' psychology. And I find it really annoying when I think the par on a hole is fundamentally wrong (which is seldom, but still...)

Par only affects players' psychology if they let it.

If you think "par" is wrong on a hole, make up your own "par". If it makes you feel better to play one hole as a "par 4" instead of "par 3", do it. Ultimately, it comes down to what you are happy with scoring on a particular hole.

I've met plenty of holes labeled as par 3 that I'm more than happy to card a 4 on, and plenty of holes labeled as par 4 that I'm kicking myself for not getting a deuce on. Bottom line is knowing what you want to score and trying to achieve that score, whether it's on one hole or the entire course.

Oregon is my Home Park and I agree with your assessment.

When 7 used to have tons of trees mid fairway it made more since, but since it's been trimmed its not really a 4 anymore.

I love 14, probably my favorite hope there. Since the fairway is basically 420 dead nuts straight, it could easily be a four. Especially since the tunnel is around 20ft at a couple of junctures.

Really I would be fine with both of those being 3s since the rest of the 4s at Oregon(there are no 5s, and this is a good thing) are pretty legit especially 3 and 6 they are pretty hard. I can birdie 6 usually but I've never got a 3 on 3.

Hope to see you out there some time!

^I know the difference between since and sense. Voice to text does not.

Par only affects players' psychology if they let it.

If you think "par" is wrong on a hole, make up your own "par". If it makes you feel better to play one hole as a "par 4" instead of "par 3", do it. Ultimately, it comes down to what you are happy with scoring on a particular hole.

I've met plenty of holes labeled as par 3 that I'm more than happy to card a 4 on, and plenty of holes labeled as par 4 that I'm kicking myself for not getting a deuce on. Bottom line is knowing what you want to score and trying to achieve that score, whether it's on one hole or the entire course.

This. Strategy-wise, "personal par" is all that matters.

If you follow number of drives plus 2 putts rule like in ball golf, only if you can throw 470 should 500 and under be par 3's, and that's for wide open shots. If you have anything guarding the pin that make it unrealistic to drive at on a 300' hole, leaving you greater than 30' away in all circumstances, that should still be a par 4.

An average pro should get more than 2 outside of 30'? I don't think so ... More like 150-200'.