• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illianasconsinigan Members (Part III)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1550309131867975/

Starting up April 5th, The 2015 Zephyr League season! Taking place in the Greater Joliet Area, this is a Zephyrs only league. That's right, you're only allowed to throw Zephyrs!,Champ or Dx, whatever you're into! Come check out our Facebook page where you can find the upcoming schedule and much more! I used to be Surgeflx on here from back in the day, I'm sure a couple of you remember me. Hopefully I'll see some of you out there!

Any of you guys live within relative distance of the courses for the Rumble and are willing to let a fellow dgcr member couch surf? I'd rather nor have to pay $80-100 a night for a hotel. I can compensate with money/discs if needed!! I am clean, can cook (bonus!), and a cool cat! Please pm

Skare Park took a direct hit from the tornado. The area is closed to non residents but it appears that the existing course was damaged, the area that was being cut out for the expansion was destroyed. Back to the drawing board.

Skare is closed until further notice owing to the quantity of damaged trees and debris.

This was mature oak/hickory forest with a number of huge old trees.

347uvzb.jpg

Hope nobody was directly impacted. That's no freakin' joke.

a tree landed on 8's basket and lots of trees down.
This course is a block from my moms, a block past this there are full houses down

Last edited:
Should really post this in it's own thread on the main page! I mean, it's the top rated 9 in the country, that's a pretty big deal. (I understand it's a pretty small and iffy review sample size)

I was hoping to stop by and play for the first time this spring on a work trip. This sucks.

Clean up at Skare Woods was started today by the park district guys with additional crews coming in from Byron, DeKalb, and Sycamore. Damage to the current nine hole layout was pretty limited, especially considering proximity to a powerful EF4 storm. While we don't have a specific time frame for reopening the course, with the volume of help we've been receiving, I'd expect it to be in a week or two.

The biggest impact of the storm will be on the planned expansion to 18+ holes this summer. The area being used for expansion was directly in the middle of the storm track. Of the 9+ wooded holes in the expansion, only one is still viable after the storm's passage. A redesign will be necessary but before that, it will be necessary to clear large quantities of fallen, mature timber, easily 2000 man hours of labor plus equipment time. This could take some time so our expansion is effectively on hold.

Sorry to hear Dag...that was great land with a lot of potential. Keep me posted on work days and maybe I can swing out one of these weekends to help out. I'm just glad nobody was seriously injured or killed there...that thing was a monster.

Thanks Matt. Unfortunately, volunteer labor out there is restricted to hand tools for the most part. That 2000 hour guess I threw out there assumes chainsaws and skid steers and chippers and all the other 'real' toys so we're entirely dependent on park personnel's availability.

There are 30 - 40 major trees down (3'+ diameter) and stacks upon stacks of large, 1' - 2' diameter trees, lying about like a king sized game of pick up sticks, easily 100-150+. There was a 4' diameter willow that was the anchor of a fairway split on the first par 4 that pretty much disappeared save for 10' of mangled trunk still stuck to the ground. The green for that same hole was a cathedral under the canopy of five huge oaks alongside the stream, now all lying shattered on the ground.

Sorry if I go on and on.

Here is an aerial view of Skare Woods and the surrounding areas taken the day after the tornado passed through. [higher res]

Attachments

• 2CAP TOR damage pic northwest of Rochelle.jpg
    2CAP TOR damage pic northwest of Rochelle.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Skare Woods has reopened for play. Vehicles used for clean up have left the ground rutted in places and there still is some smaller debris in the fairways but the course is playable.

Can anyone from Channahon area meet up Wednesday-Thursday next week the 29th-1st? I will be in the Lisle area for work and plan on playing the Dave Pitner tourney. Never played the course and could use a guide

Latest posts