• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm moving... to Jersey.

whitefedora

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I've been very fortunate to be able to live in a city with a very vibrant disc golf community and some top rated courses within an earshot away. Even more so to be able to walk to my favorite league every week. All of this is apparently going to change though. Due to an amazing job opportunity, I'm relocating to northern New Jersey in between Wayne and Union (probably around the Caldwell area or so). Naturally the first thing I do is look up what courses are near by... and well... within an hour there are a lot of fun really nice looking courses, but the closest course is Campgaw in Mahwah, New Jersey which is like just over half an hour away. There is also a course at Rutgers university that looks alright.

Now my question. I'm up for traveling around an hour or so for leagues but it's a fairly expansive search for me to just start clicking on courses and putting them into google to see what turns up. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably still do this at some point, but I'd love it if any locals are on here that could point me to the right direction or steer me away from others (for some odd reason?). Thanks in advance for the heads up!

I grew up and live in NJ for 22 years. I'm sorry to hear.

There is a great course in Great Meadows, NJ called field of dreams. Its about 35-40 miles from caldwell. North Jersey Disc Golf on facebook.

You have my condolences. I lived in central NJ for about 16 years in Princeton area. I have a sister-in-law that lives in Mahwah. Your pretty close to the NY state line up there so you may want to include NY in your search. Sorry I'm not more help, I escaped Joyzee 11 years... long before I was into disc golf.

Yah, not a great place for anything close but a bunch of good ones with a drive, you can go west to the PA border to Jordan Creek/Tinicum/Tyler State Park or north to Warwick.

Nooooooooo! You best make it to flip one last time if nothing else :\

I can only comment about the course at Rutgers which I played while visiting my brother in NJ. It's been a few years but I remember it as being a fun little pitch and putt. It was thanksgiving break when I was there so I have no idea how crowded the campus can get. It might be a nice place to be in the spring. ;-)

That must be one great job to get you to move to the colon of America. All jokes aside, congrats and good luck. One of the guys I play with went to school at Rutgers and says the course is OK at best.

All I remember from NJ [early '80s] is the thruways, the Pine Barrens, and the fact that my 8th St. friends would attack any "Jersey" they saw in the Village. :eek:

Last edited:
Quick thoughts:

Warwick to the North is awesome
Mahwah isn't bad
Field of Dreams is meh
Lehigh Valley is an hour away to the west and has a bunch of courses within striking distance of I-78

Check out nefa.com for regional tournies. And DisCap.net if you want to road trip up to NY Capital Region.

^Unfortunately it is for an account manager position where the two biggest accounts are located in Wayne and Union. It is in the description of the job that I must be located somewhere either in or between the two. The idea being that if an appointment opens up last minute, travel time is no more than an hour for either of the two accounts.

Thanks for all the input everyone! I really appreciate the heads up on all of the courses and after looking into a few links, it looks like there will be plenty of options for leagues on the weekends. And I'll probably just have to practice putting in my yard during the week or field work at local parks will do as well.

also, I would make the trip to Cranbury Park in Norwalk, CT...
one of the most beautiful courses i've ever played...

there is also a course under construction right now that will be fairly close to you - - Greystone woods. I've seen pics and it is being designed by a very good person. It's coming along nicely and will be a great place to play soon enough... Greystone Woods Disc Golf Course on facebook