• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In A Funk Or Doing The Funky Chicken

TalbotTrojan

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
So the past couple of days I have been playing worse than I did when I first started playing this game. I know I am better than I am playing and I am sure that part of it all is in my head. I am wondering what you all do to get yourself out of a funk when you are playing bad. Nothing that I normally do seems to be working right now.

Streaks occur. Play thru them. Don't focus on that too much, imho.

It happens to all of us. No one is on fire every round.

When it happens to me I focus on basic form, etc.

Dont keep score for a couple rounds. Just shoot and have fun.

Play a doubles "best ball" round or something different.

Drink heavily. Then again, I am Irish.

Do like your friend and mine Eagle member Don Henley says - Get over it!Get over it(insert guitar solo here);)
Just kidding,believe me its very easy to get upset at bad play,I should know cause I am an expert at it. The thing I try to do is just relax,if not today then tommorow,and keep plugging away. Everybody has bad games if they were all good there wouldn't be a challenge and you'd be bored.....Boy I wish I was bored!:D

Last edited:
Do like your friend and mine Eagle member Don Henley says - Get over it!Get over it(insert guitar solo here);)
Just kidding,believe me its very easy to get upset at bad play,I should know cause I am an expert at it. The thing I try to do is just relax,if not today then tommorow,and keep plugging away. Everybody has bad games if they were all good there wouldn't be a challenge and you'd be bored.....Boy I wish I was bored!:D

If you think about it, Boredom in this area of life seems like it would be more fun. How ironic.

If I'm having a bad streak, usually I just get together with friends and enjoy doubles or something similar.

When I'm in a funk, I stop keeping score and focus on fundamentals.

When I'm in a funk I stop playing for a week or so. Go do something else that I enjoy. Then one day the urge to play will be there and I head back. I usually record a good score and sometimes see improvement in my game. I've done this with most of the sports I've participated in throughout my life.

When I'm in a funk I stop playing for a week or so. Go do something else that I enjoy. Then one day the urge to play will be there and I head back. I usually record a good score and sometimes see improvement in my game. I've done this with most of the sports I've participated in throughout my life.

Very sound advice.

I try that but the urge is there 20 minutes after my previous round, no matter how bad it is.

It kind of sounds like you're suffering from burnout. While skills don't suddenly vanish, sometimes it seems our ability to wield them fluctuates wildly.

I'm new at disc golf, but have had my share of other competitive activities... concentrating on pocket billiards the last five years or so. This past season in league play, I had a horrible streak and couldn't win a singles or doubles game to save my life. Not just losing by <--> this much, mind you, but like getting-spanked-by-senile-grandma bad. At that point I pretty much said "screw it" and let an alternate play my slot for three weeks. (Incidentally, this is when I took a road trip to meet up with an old friend and he introduced me to the Way of the Disc.) Upon returning to the table, my head was clear, my shots were smooth, and I was able to finish the season with a little dignity. Anyway... that's just one personal experience.

My advice? Take a break... let the mind forget all the nonsense and start up new. The body will remember once it's back out on the course. I have a feeling you have too many hours of practice behind you to grow rust quickly.

(However... I'm starting to see that this is an activity not easily walked away from, even for a brief period of time.)

taking some time off can definitely help, but i know it can be tough to chill on it for a few days when all you want to do is go out and throw and work on your game. i live realllllllly close to my home course so the temptation is even harder to ignore sometimes.

when i am playing poorly i will usually go out and just throw and practice putting for a couple days. focus on skills not scores (the title of a very good article on discgolfreview.com) and try to finish up your practice with something that you feel confident with so that you can end the day on a positive note. and always try to pick the brains of your local pros, or videotape yourself throwing - some things you just can't figure out on your own.

I play rounds with just a putter and/or mid and work on my form. I worry less about the score and more about executing a variety of shots. A lot of times I find out that holes I often take a 4 on throwing a driver off the tee I can easily 3 throwing mids and putters.

Play the most difficult technical course in your area a few times. It will humble and re-focus you at the same time. If that's all you play already then play the most open big arm course in your area a few times and it will do the same thing.

Try playing with your opposite hand, it's entertaining, and a great way to shed expectations. And after a round (or half a round, or even just a few holes) EVERY shot you throw with your normal throwing hand will seem EXCELLENT in comparison.

Try playing with your opposite hand, it's entertaining, and a great way to shed expectations. And after a round (or half a round, or even just a few holes) EVERY shot you throw with your normal throwing hand will seem EXCELLENT in comparison.
LOL!! Great advice.

+1... except for putting.

I've seen a decent number of people putt with their off hand and many/most of them actually do pretty well that way. Probably has something to do with being a much simpler motion than trying to drive a disc as well as forcing you to concentrate more.

Latest posts