• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In Paul We Trust

Maybe, but I'm right.

Inapposite.

Ice hockey surpassed field hockey in popularity. When Disc Golf surpasses Golf, then it will probably be time to clarify, you know, so people don't get confused. Right now, no one is confused. But, apparently, some frolfers are getting awfully self-important.

*Whack*

"Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu..."

Also, 'golf' spelled backwards is 'flog'. Seems appropriate

At work I skimmed one of "I Hate Disc Golf's" podcasts where he talks about his this feud with DGers, and towards the end, him and his buddies gave DG some praise. Seems they watched some highlight videos and they sounded genuinely impressed. One guy even mumbled, "I'm sure it's pretty fun to play."

Also mentioned that Paul McBeth reached out and challenged him: 18 holes of each, lowest score wins. Will conceded that he would definitely lose. As Will's fellow podcasters put it, "He would run you!" Went on to say that McBeth was a "stand up guy" and a "great ambassador for the sport."

The shift in sentiment starts at 37 minute mark:
https://soundcloud.com/postgradproblems/episode-87-the-disc-golf-community-vs-will-defries

So is ball golf. I don't see them smacking soft-cover balls made with a substance similar to leather, filled with a softer inner core.

Evolution of equipment doesn't make it a derivative sport. Nascar is still Nascar (and still super dumb) even though the cars have gotten faster.

So is ball golf. I don't see them smacking soft-cover balls made with a substance similar to leather, filled with a softer inner core.

I could ask people on the street, "What is golf?" and I can almost positively guarantee I will not get the response, "Golf? Which one? Ball, disc, or foot?" Disc golf is disc golf, golf is golf. Disc golfers need to collectively remove the stick, head, gerbil etc. from their rump and chill.

I could ask people on the street, "What is golf?" and I can almost positively guarantee I will not get the response, "Golf? Which one? Ball, disc, or foot?" Disc golf is disc golf, golf is golf. Disc golfers need to collectively remove the stick, head, gerbil etc. from their rump and chill.
I agree that nobody should be up in arms - but up until about 130 years ago if you walked up to someone on the street in America and asked them "What is golf?" - not that long ago. The idea that the question you're proposing could be a reasonably apt one very soon is not so absurd as you think.

Evolution of equipment doesn't make it a derivative sport. Nascar is still Nascar (and still super dumb) even though the cars have gotten faster.
The soft leather/feather/hairy ball was in use for hundreds of years. We're coming up on 150 years from the invention of the first hard ball. Within that 150 years you have a roughly 20 year period where golf with the hard balls WERE considered a different golf sport and play occurred concurrently with people using feather balls. When the Open dictated the use of the hard ball in its earliest events, golf with the softer balls fell out of favor and golf with the new harder balls was the one taken up.

Last edited: