• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do DG pros fake their personalities? (hot take)

Sure, go ahead and make pro disc golf a hothouse, reality-basedsubset of Red Bull. All it means is that I'll stop watching tournament videos where chowderheads are spitting on refs and Nikko is 15 min late for teetime.

And he keeps delivering. He missed a putt, drew his foot back to kick a stump and then barely taps it.

So to keep with OP, is he playing to the crowd knowing his reputation or is that just how he is?
I'm guessing thats how he is and where the thought for the video even came from.

Either way its a riot and I will be on the lookout every time he's on the screen:D

So to keep with OP, is he playing to the crowd knowing his reputation or is that just how he is?
I'm guessing thats how he is and where the thought for the video even came from.

Either way its a riot and I will be on the lookout every time he's on the screen:D

Having known James since he was a kid I can safely say that is how he is. The whole Conrad family are the nicest people you will ever meet.

Are disc golfers allowed to have this kind of sports personality? They will be belittled, de-humanized, boycotted, and cancelled if they do. Why is that? Is disc golf trying to be the model sport? Un-offensiveness can seem very disingenuous. Forced. Fake. Of course there are some low-key isolated cases like recent Brodie/Paul or the under-the-surface Ricky/Paul.

I tend to agree. Most of the personalities are probably heavily encouraged to be cleaner and nicer than they would be. As in many sports.

I tend to agree. Most of the personalities are probably heavily encouraged to be cleaner and nicer than they would be. As in many sports.

I'd imagine $ponsorship has a lot to do with this.
No company wants to the public to be turned off of their product because of something one of their touring team players said/did.

I like to think the public can separate what players say/do, from a sponsor's position.

But for the most part, corporate sponsorship and/or endorsements tend to be quickly pulled whenever a company feels they could be associated with something unsavory about a sponsored player. That applies to just about every sport.

I like to think the public can separate what players say/do, from a sponsor's position.

They can't and they won't. I have a friend of mine who is starting up a small online disc golf store and is attempting to sponsor players. He had to drop one due to some controversial FB posts. He got hate mail over that. He would have gotten hate mail had he not dissolved the relationship. Pretty awesome catch 22.

What a wonderfully tolerant society we live in.

Not entirely related but this made me think of that old Chapelle's show skit where Dave gets to meet the real Wayne Brady so to speak.

Me?

If so, I have no idea what you are talking about.

no

4vguw9.jpg

Latest posts