• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do DG pros fake their personalities? (hot take)

Completely understand. Consider the difference between these two exact same sentiments:
"I want to play my best at Worlds."
""I want to beat Paul, Rick, Eagle, Chris, and win a world championship."

The former statement is true, but a boring, safe, forgettable yet preferred over the latter, more precise and genuine emotion. Paul can dunk a putt, fist pump, and scream. But he can't do so while staring at his opponent. He has to pretend it's just him and the course.

I threw an ace playing by myself the other day. No one cared.

The whole dunking a putt, fist pumping, and screaming would seem "weird" if he did it while staring at an opponent. He didn't do it TO them. They weren't playing defender. It's the equivalent of an NBA player making a free throw and then looking at the nearest player lined up on the line and screaming "made that in your FACE".

In terms of the 2 quotes, I think most top-level talent just sees this kind of sport (a sport where you can't actually impact another person physically, and where you're competing against many people at once) as a game with oneself for 90% of the competition. He doesn't want to beat Person A, B, C, & D...he wants to beat EVERYONE. Worrying about every individual specifically would be draining...and top level athletes simply think "meh, if I play good, I win, they don't matter". He can't do anything about what other people shoot, he can only control what he shoots. It's probably a selection bias...people who are constantly worried about beating specific individuals in this kind of activity simply don't make it to the higher levels of the activity.

Personally, with all the hate and division in the world, especially right now in this country, I appreciate a sport/game/activity where people cheer when another does well. I actually LOVE that about live coverage--seeing the fist pumps and genuine joy when a 'competitor' does something great.

There are so many sports where hatred is the norm, plenty of choices. Lets not change DG.

I went to Univ of Florida, where the fans HATE FSU. It actually got me out of tailgating and going to games because I just don't need that hate in my life. I mean those fans in general are the same as our fans, they just happen to live 2 hours up the road.

Tell me again why I am supposed to hate them???

I live in Ohio now, and see the same thing with UM/TOSU. I loved when Urban Meyer was coach as TOSU, I got to ride the fans asking what they thought about their head coach having the initials, U.M. Some laughed, some asked where I live.

For instance I love Matty O's game and personality! But it would never do for us to watch an SEC Championship game together. Go Dawgs!!!!![emoji41][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For instance I love Matty O's game and personality! But it would never do for us to watch an SEC Championship game together. Go Dawgs!!!!![emoji41][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't it be fun to play a round with mattyO and big put him after you heard those 'roll tide' calls? But you can't say GO DAWGS out loud toward him. It's mean. You have to be a little fake and say it toward the sky, or toward the basket.

Even if if it's an acknowledged (fun/entertaining) part of most other sports.

Given the van life nature of the tour, I would expect there's a bit of a we're all in this together vibe. Of course personalities differ, and I could also see some players maybe not being well liked for one reason or another.

Pretty much all of the touring pros shared a vehicle with somebody else along the way, so I think there are some true friendships there where they want to see each other do well.

I would expect among certain players you do see some mild razzing during tournament rounds, but more to keep the mood light and not to really get into somebody's head. Kind of a know your audience type thing.

As an online viewer I wouldn't want to see players actively rooting against each other, but I definitely would like to see some friendly trash talk during the pre event interviews. Missy has done it a couple of times and I think in general it was fairly well received. We need some Ricky Bobby and Jean Girard type banter before tournaments.

^^^^ That's a pretty good take on it...

It reminds me of a Sunday random dubs round during which I had Zach Melton as my partner, and Calvin Heimburg was on the card behind us. Every time they got within spitting distance of each other, one of 'em was saying something to the other. At first, I thought it might be real enmity, but soon learned the opposite was true. In those moments (and there were quite a few), I thought about how great it would be if they were exactly like that in their sanctioned events. It was a good-natured way of egging each other on to bigger and better shots.
(For the record, CH and his partner were -15 and won; ZM and I were one behind them at -14. I was a putting ma-SHEEN that day.) :)

Players will not be antagonistic towards each other as long as the standard is that players make their own calls on the course. Nobody wants to be targeted by other players for rules violations which could easily happen.

Of the 4 notable pros I have spent time with on and of the course, all are very real in their love of the game and enjoy hokey positive interactions with players and fans.

sooo...you are saying, they are just kind people in general. I'm not buying it.

:D

I appreciate a sport/game/activity where people cheer when another does well. I actually LOVE that about live coverage--seeing the fist pumps and genuine joy when a 'competitor' does something great.

There are so many sports where hatred is the norm, plenty of choices. Lets not change DG.

So much this.

You want to play or watch some other sport, watch that one. You like disc golf? Awesome. You don't like disc golf, that's fine too.

You want to "grow" the sport of disc golf by making it into something else? Hard pass.

Look, if you want to see friendly razzing, watch GK Pro skins. You want to see how "fun" that is when there is real animosity, watch the skins round with Hammes and Gibson. The joy is noticeably gone.

Look, if you want to see friendly razzing, watch GK Pro skins. You want to see how "fun" that is when there is real animosity, watch the skins round with Hammes and Gibson. The joy is noticeably gone.

Yep. I was sitting on my couch and felt uncomfortable just watching it.

* I don't think a new couch would have made watching that any more comfortable. :\

Last edited:
Golf - both ball golf and disc golf - is a different sport from other sports. For one thing, it's not a team sport; it's an individual sport. While both ball and disc golf have their rivalries and issues between players, you rarely hear about it on the course. Fans in golf are mainly just spectators. They watch the sport and cheer for great shots. You don't hear of fantasy ownership in golf. In other sports, fans seem to feel they are part of the team....I'm a Steelers fan....there are chat sites where people comment that they 'need to be talked off the ledge' because such-and-such is happening. Harris (Steelers main running back) had a foot injury and fans are really upset that he might be out for a few games. We don't see that same thing happening in golf. Ricky was out for a bit due to Lyme's....fans wished him well, but I don't recall a single comment about how a fan's world was ending because Ricky wasn't able to play in a few tournaments.

I think there is still the image that golf is a game and not a sport. We have our favorite players, but we don't invest as much emotion into them as we do with team sports. Sunday is coming up....how many people on this site will be in front of the TV wearing their teams jersey and rooting for a win? How many people will be watching DGN to see their favorite player in the tournament and how many will be wearing a jersey/shirt supporting their favorite player? (Yes, we buy discs from our favorite players - sometimes - but who sees us using those? Lots of people see us supporting our sports team when we wear the jersey, hat, shirt, wave a flag, etc).

Ball golf has been a "gentlemen's" game - not being sexist here, I mean that golf is polite, you are quiet when the player is taking their stance and hitting the ball, there's no heckling or trying to throw the other players off. In fact, when a player has a good outcome you praise them, when they have a bad one you show sympathy. Disc golf is the same. Can you name another sport where the fans and other players are quiet when a person/team is taking their turn?

Another thing golf, ball and disc has that other sports don't is the spectators play. I don't know anybody that watches disc golf that doesn't play. I'm sure they exist probably a bit more so with golf. When I see a pro or card mate make a great shot, I can easily envision how it would feel to make that shot.

How many people watch football that actively play? Very low percentage. Its SO much easier to be an armchair athlete when you have no clue what the players go thru.

I'm a Chief's fan. My two favorite teams are the Chiefs and whoever's playing the Raiders. I hate the raiders. I hope the air conditioning fails on every bus and hotel they use, and ever fan gets back problems from sitting at their games. I want the Raiders to lose every game, and tie 0-0 against the Broncos.

Boxers and UFC fighters call out their opponents in flamboyant rage-fest press conferences and social media posts.

Are disc golfers allowed to have this kind of sports personality? They will be belittled, de-humanized, boycotted, and cancelled if they do. Why is that? Is disc golf trying to be the model sport? Un-offensiveness can seem very disingenuous. Forced. Fake. Of course there are some low-key isolated cases like recent Brodie/Paul or the under-the-surface Ricky/Paul.

As a newish disc golfer, I wonder (just wondering out loud, you hear), if Disc Golf would be significantly more appealing when Paige and her fans actively root against Kristen or Val, instead of always 'getting along'. Maybe Calvin can't stand Eagle. Wouldn't it be interesting to have a sideline of Eagle fans groaning when Calvin hits a putt, just like they'd cheer when Eagle did? Just like a college Free Throw in the last seconds of a game? A home run hit caught just above the wall for the 3rd out?

Now see here though, I'm not at all suggesting Disc Golfers turn into full Raiders-Fan and start throwing batteries at opponents (or even cause a commotion during throws)… I just wonder how trapped the pros feel… the ams feel… pressured to come across nice and friendly… OR- perhaps there's some cosmic miracle that only polite and compliant people play disc golf.

:thmbup::thmbdown::confused:;)

Hard pass. We have too much tribalism in our culture already, and I don't find it interesting or entertaining.

It's fairly obvious that individual and team sports generally attract different personality types regarding both players and fans. You only need to watch player interviews and fan channels for evidence.