• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Infinite Discs Ra

AndyJB

Big Country
Bronze level trusted reviewer
So I searched the forums and couldn't find a dedicated thread for this new(ish) release. Yeah, I'm a member of the Infinite Discs Team, but I'm objective enough to say not all of their releases have worked for me, or would work for others. Love the Chariot and Exodus, and the Tomb found a way into my bag but isn't used all that often (still enamored with my RDG Scales for throwing putters) and I've messed around with the Slab as an ultra-utility distance driver.

Anyway, on to the Ra! I have bagged a Buzzz OS basically since it's release as my OS mid-range, so I wasn't too keen on switching things up with the release of the Ra. When I got my testers, I really liked the feel in the hand...beaded rim, which I prefer in my mids, and a nice flat top. I didn't notice much molding differences between the C-Blend and MF C-Blend.

Taking them to the course, I found it comparable to my Buzzz OS' but with better, more intuitive feel in my hand. I reallllllllly like it for forehand upshots that I need to put enough "oomph" on that my Scales would get squirrely. I found the MF C-blend to be a bit more stable all around, but nothing crazy. The fade is that nice "sweet spot" of OS fade where it is neither dumpy nor gradual. It did take me awhile to dial that fade in for accurate shots, but now that I'm acclimated to the disc, I'm finding it very reliable, throw after throw...so reliable, in fact, that I have, after 20 years, totally removed Rocs from my bag in favor of an all-Infinite mid-range line up. Ras for OS, straight-to-fade, windy shots. Chariots for straight, now fade shots, flexes, or sweeping hyzers. Anubis for turnovers and hyzerflips.

Who else is throwing Ras? What do you like? What do you dislike?

Thanks for the review. I have not gotten a Ra yet, but after reading this review I'll be ordering and trying one soon. I've liked all the Infinite Discs molds I've tried so far, including really loving the Sphinx and Tomb <3 , and liking the Exodus (which the lake took away fro, me :( :mad: ) and the Myth, and surprisingly liking the Pharaoh. So I'm looking forward to giving the Ra (and Anubis) a shot.

Thanks for the insight AJB! I've got a cart ready with a Slab and Ann exodus in it and was winding about the RA. Much like you I've been throwing the same OS mid(Bards) for a long time and don't really love making changes, but I'd love to support the Infinate guys a bit since I use their site so heavily for recording rounds and disc reviews.

What is the hand feel like? Rocish or maybe a little different?

Thanks for the insight AJB! I've got a cart ready with a Slab and Ann exodus in it and was winding about the RA. Much like you I've been throwing the same OS mid(Bards) for a long time and don't really love making changes, but I'd love to support the Infinate guys a bit since I use their site so heavily for recording rounds and disc reviews.

What is the hand feel like? Rocish or maybe a little different?

Rim is absolutley Roc-ish. It may even be a Roc rim. Top is super flat.

So not the VRocX3 I heard it was? If so, my Roc/Wasp/Comet setup may be in trouble.

I'll check again when I get home (I know I have a VRoc laying around somewhere) but the Ra doesn't have that overly rounded rim. It's not a straight drop like the Roc3...more Gator-ish, but I hesitate to say that because it's not a great equivalency. If it's V-tech, it's much more subtle than the V-Tech rims I've thrown.

Def would like to know because some reviews said the V rim. Any idea how that compares to a discmania md4?

That's what it sounds like to me. Again, profile pic would be the most helpful.

No need, didn't you see the above users described the rim as Rocish, maybe a little Gatory, with a little V-MD5 thrown in?

I'm pretty sure I remember a post from someone at Infinite who said he was basically making a VRocX.

From InfiniteDylan in the Pharaoh Thread:

I don't think we could without making our own mold... but we do have a roc-like mold coming out soon... can't spoil a lot cause I think it's going to be a black friday release...

Okay what the heck- it's a RocX3 top with a VRoc bottom. You didn't hear that from me. Shhh. It flies kinda like a Roc though. We're estimating ratings to be ... 5 5 0 3 or 0 2.5, not sure yet. More stable than the Chariot for sure but holds up to a lot of power. The profile is pretty thin and grips really well in the hand even with the V-Tech bead. The team has some in their hands, and you can get a tester of it in the VIP Club store. It's called the Ra. Maybe it'll come out before black friday, but I don't remember. Too many things happening around here :p

Last edited:
Same. I do find it tough to go out on a limb for infinite discs though, since there is no chance of finding them in a local shop. Maybe I get lucky and find one on a used rack to get a real feel for them

Let me say, I 100% agree and therefore a profile pic is by far the most important and easiest marketing tool for Infinite here. Video reviews are cool too, but yeah, I kind of know what to expect from the flight of a stable-OS disc molded by innova.

Ra rah Report

My Metal Flake C-blend Ra came in this morning, and boy! are there a lot of metal flakes in it! It looks good.

In the photos, the Ra is on the left. The chartreuse disc is a Star RocX3 (the only one I have), and the pink disc is a FAF Star Roc3. The Ra is V-Tech on the bottom rim, and is a bit more comfortable to grip than the RocX3 (YMMV on that).

I took a bunch of mids to the range today, having the good fortune that the wind was directly in my face or on my back. I threw the Ra against the Cro, the RocX3, the Anubis, and the Green Hornet.

I still don't know what the purpose in life of the RocX3 is. It's very straight with a bit of fade at the end when thrown with power (as I was throwing all these discs today). The Ra is more overstable, but when thrown at full power it goes pretty straight for most of the way before fading. The Cro had as much or more fade than either the Ra or RocX3. The Green Hornet was more overstable but also had a bit more glide.

I am not sure if the Ra will replace the Cro in my bag (it likely will NOT replace the Hornet), but I'll work with them all some more before making a final determination.

The Anubis is pretty much the Coyote, maybe with a wee tad more depth. I'll post photos of it in the Anubis thread. The Anubis is very straight, fading a wee bit with the tailwinds.

Attachments

• Ra_RocX3_IMG_4097.JPG
    Ra_RocX3_IMG_4097.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Ra_RocX3_IMG_4098.JPG
    Ra_RocX3_IMG_4098.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Ra_Roc3_IMG_4099.JPG
    Ra_Roc3_IMG_4099.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 64
My Metal Flake C-blend Ra came in this morning, and boy! are there a lot of metal flakes in it! It looks good.

In the photos, the Ra is on the left. The chartreuse disc is a Star RocX3 (the only one I have), and the pink disc is a FAF Star Roc3. The Ra is V-Tech on the bottom rim, and is a bit more comfortable to grip than the RocX3 (YMMV on that).

I took a bunch of mids to the range today, having the good fortune that the wind was directly in my face or on my back. I threw the Ra against the Cro, the RocX3, the Anubis, and the Green Hornet.

I still don't know what the purpose in life of the RocX3 is. It's very straight with a bit of fade at the end when thrown with power (as I was throwing all these discs today). The Ra is more overstable, but when thrown at full power it goes pretty straight for most of the way before fading. The Cro had as much or more fade than either the Ra or RocX3. The Green Hornet was more overstable but also had a bit more glide.

I am not sure if the Ra will replace the Cro in my bag (it likely will NOT replace the Hornet), but I'll work with them all some more before making a final determination.

The Anubis is pretty much the Coyote, maybe with a wee tad more depth. I'll post photos of it in the Anubis thread. The Anubis is very straight, fading a wee bit with the tailwinds.

What is the weight on your Ra? I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it not looking like how I expected it to. The RocX3s purpose is $$$ and that's it.

Latest posts