• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Injured

tkatzer52

My Name is troy and I am a competitive player. I have been playing the sport for 4 years and I just recently broke my throwing arm collar bone. has anyone else done the same? how will it affect me?

also since its off season I don't have to worry so hard right now but what can I do to "rehab it"

Collar bones are the most frequently broken bone. They are designed as shock absorbers to prevent other bones from breaking, in falls, and doing larger damage. If set properly and medical attention was recieved in a timely fashion, the recovery should be smooth. The inability to use the arm for 6 weeks or so will result in a loss of strength, but some rehab and conditioning should see you regain the loss quickly. Age dependent to a degee. If you are old like me, these things take a bit longer. Regular strength conditioning once healed with be plenty. Lifting a few weights, stretching... Isobands, or surgical tubing are good for recovery strength training, they are usually lower impact. Good luck.

Ain't a big deal. Be glad it was the clavical and not your rotator cuff. You should be fine if you can follow instructions and rest properly.

Have no experience with collarbone injury, so I'm not sure if there's any official physical therapy or rehab involved like there might be with other injuries. If there is no therapy involved, ask your doctor for advice. He'd know better than most how the injury is going to affect you physically (things like atrophied muscles, chance of re-injury, etc) and point you in the right direction for full recovery.

If there is some kind of therapy then ask your therapist about it and be sure to describe the actions involved with playing disc. They can surely set you up with exercises that focus on rebuilding/strengthening the right muscle groups. Generally speaking, their goal is to get you functional for day to day life. That doesn't necessarily mean that when you're done, your body is ready to play disc golf or softball or basketball or whatever you do.

Either way, take your time getting back into it and recognize it isn't going to all come back at once. Don't necessarily baby yourself, but don't overdo it either.

I've had a couple collar-bone breaks and have healed well from both of them. No lasting damage. You'll have some pain for a few weeks. Heed that, it's telling you to take it easy and let things heal. Once the bone is mended (figure six weeks), you should be able to begin reconditioning and, presuming this is a clean break and there are no complications, you'll soon be good as new. Listen to your doctor.

i am 17 so it shouldnt be to bad right

Nope---at that age Rosie and her 4 sisters will kick the strange to the curb in no time. :D:p

BUT---that doesn't mean you have to lie on the couch while healing. I realize its Wisconsin and the weather's not so good, but get out and walk a lot---keep that lower body in great shape, and you'll recover your form that much faster. :thmbup:

And there's always offhand putting practice.

Last edited:
This was my throwing arm clavicle:
d723508a-cea9-4dc5-a3d3-6e7d6373865d.jpg

This is my throwing arm clavicle:
1012071330.jpg

My doctors were weird; they didn't recommend any rehab, but I spent a good deal of time throwing around a football once I was able to. I dealt with pain from random things not really motion related, and now there's zero pain from it. Throwing discs doesn't cause me any issues BH & FH. Take it easy be patient, and you'll be fine:thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:

^^^Ooooh. Bet you're a fan fave at any TSA gate. "Shut up, bro, at least you're not that guy". :D

This is my throwing arm clavicle:
1012071330.jpg

My doctors were weird; they didn't recommend any rehab, but I spent a good deal of time throwing around a football once I was able to. I dealt with pain from random things not really motion related, and now there's zero pain from it. Throwing discs doesn't cause me any issues BH & FH. Take it easy be patient, and you'll be fine:thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:[/QUOTE]

Dude that had to suck im sorry that happend but thank you for your help!.:)

Nice bunch of hardware. Good for some laughs at metal detectors I'm sure.

I've been waiting for the day I set off a metal detector, but it hasn't happened. As it turns out titanium being non-ferrous doesn't set the metal detectors off. I was a little disappointed the first time going through one.

Latest posts